• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 11:22 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Yeah, you are right, they are stapled like a regular comic, but all three are larger size books.

OK, so I think you're saying that each of the other two books was the 25-cent issue sandwiched between the last 15-cent and the first 20-cent issues?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 4/8/2022 at 6:25 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK, so I think you're saying that each of the other two books was the 25-cent issue sandwiched between the last 15-cent and the first 20-cent issues?

While that's the way Marvel worked it for most of their titles, there are a few outliers.  For instance, Marvel Feature has issue #1 a 25 cent squarebound giant with a December publication date, a time when nearly all the titles had picture frame covers, but MF doesn't use a picture frame until issue #2, also a 25 cent squarebound giant, with a March publication date, by which time other titles had gone to regular size, 20 cents, and picture frame covers.

Edited by namisgr

On 4/8/2022 at 3:25 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 4/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Yeah, you are right, they are stapled like a regular comic, but all three are larger size books.

He's talking about how the books were bound (or physically assembled). The majority of the 25¢ Picture Frame books have square (or flat) spines. While all the books were 52 pages, Captain America Annual #2 and My Love #14 were bound like a typical 36 page book from that era. They were stapled in the center of the spine (saddle-stitched).

The rest of the 25¢ Picture Frame books are square bound. They're not stapled in the center of the spine. The two staples go through the interior pages then the covers were glued onto the interiors. So if these books were properly assembled, the spines are flat (or square).

Good examples to explain the difference are Amazing Spider-Man Annuals. I believe ASM Annual #1 though #13 are all square bound. Then they switched to saddle stitched for #14 through #21.

On 4/8/2022 at 11:55 AM, Ghost Town said:

He's talking about how the books were bound (or physically assembled). The majority of the 25¢ Picture Frame books have square (or flat) spines. While all the books were 52 pages, Captain America Annual #2 and My Love #14 were bound like a typical 36 page book from that era. They were stapled in the center of the spine (saddle-stitched).

The rest of the 25¢ Picture Frame books are square bound. They're not stapled in the center of the spine. The two staples go through the interior pages then the covers were glued onto the interiors. So if these books were properly assembled, the spines are flat (or square).

Good examples to explain the difference are Amazing Spider-Man Annuals. I believe ASM Annual #1 though #13 are all square bound. Then they switched to saddle stitched for #14 through #21.

Thanks, I understand the binding part of it.  I just don't know anything about My Love #14 or Mighty Marvel Western #15 and where they fit in date-wise (since they are clearly not annuals).

On 4/8/2022 at 8:01 AM, namisgr said:

While that's the way Marvel worked it for most of their titles, there are a few outliers.  For instance, Marvel Feature has issue #1 a 25 cent squarebound giant with a December publication date, a time when nearly all the titles had picture frame covers, but MF doesn't use a picture frame until issue #2, also a 25 cent squarebound giant, with a March publication date, by which time other titles had gone to regular size, 20 cents, and picture frame covers.

Cool ... but I'm just trying to understand the specific cases of My Love #14 and Mighty Marvel Western #15.

So I looked it up!

• My Love #14:  Dated November 1971, sandwiched between #13 (15 cents) and #15 (20 cents).  Like the November 1971 issues for most other Marvel titles (e.g. ASM #102), it is the first picture-frame issue in the run.
  • Mighty Marvel Western #15:  Dated December 1971, but it's actually not a picture-frame book -- that doesn't start until #16 in March 1972.  It's 25 cents, but so are the issues that come before and after it.  While the preceding issue (#14) is square-bound, it looks like the title simply went to round-bound and stayed that way starting with #15.

And there you have it.  Not sure who cares, but I needed to know.  lol

On 4/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanks, I understand the binding part of it.  I just don't know anything about My Love #14 or Mighty Marvel Western #15 and where they fit in date-wise (since they are clearly not annuals).

Cool ... but I'm just trying to understand the specific cases of My Love #14 and Mighty Marvel Western #15.

So I looked it up!

• My Love #14:  Dated November 1971, sandwiched between #13 (15 cents) and #15 (20 cents).  Like the November 1971 issues for most other Marvel titles (e.g. ASM #102), it is the first picture-frame issue in the run.
  • Mighty Marvel Western #15:  Dated December 1971, but it's actually not a picture-frame book -- that doesn't start until #16 in March 1972.  It's 25 cents, but so are the issues that come before and after it.  While the preceding issue (#14) is square-bound, it looks like the title simply went to round-bound and stayed that way starting with #15.

And there you have it.  Not sure who cares, but I needed to know.  lol

Yep exactly. One minor correction - Mighty Marvel Western #16 was a square bound picture frame.  I do have an Excel sheet somewhere that has these books laid out by date if you'd like. Just PM me.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:54 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

Yep exactly. One minor correction - Mighty Marvel Western #16 was a square bound picture frame.  I do have an Excel sheet somewhere that has these books laid out by date if you'd like. Just PM me.

I wasn't sure about #16 and just went by what it looked like from an image on an eBay listing.  I just looked at a few more and can confirm that you're right about it.

I made a little custom database for myself that has all the date info and some other metadata about the books I collect, but the romance and western books aren't covered.  There's always something new to learn!