• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,892 posts in this topic

Love reading through these discoveries so I thought it was time to step-up and contribute my own find, a GA collection from 2010...

Last April I went to see an individual about 40 minutes away, who I found on CL, about making a purchase on a completely non-comic related item. Over the course of our discussion I mentioned that I collect comics as well. Upon hearing this he said, "Hey! I've got a stack of old books that my aunt left me when she passed away. I'm only the second owner - want to take a look?" I said sure, why not?

We go down into his basement and yep, he's got a bunch of comics from the 1940s just laying in magazine racks, but at least bagged. I started flipping through them and of course there's the expected cartoon comics along with some other odds and ends in varying degrees of condition. I then ask him do you have any superhero books? He then told me those are his favorite so he's used them to cover the wall behind his other pop culture collectibles. So he pulls a a few off the wall, the key books, and they turn out to be in really great condition regardless of their purpose - wallpaper. I'm guessing actually putting them on the wall protected them from kids, friends, dogs, etc. unlike the magazine rack group.

Long story short I made him a fair offer on the better material. It's been my one and only "find" over the years. Some of the books have made their way out into the market, locally and nationally, while I've retained others for my own collection. Enjoy (thumbs u

GA-comics.jpg

GA-comics-2.jpg

WOW! Some VERY nice books in there! :applause:

thanks guys :grin:

It was pretty exciting to stumble onto a collection like this...I kept thinking if only his aunt had been a few years older he REALLY would have had something. Can't complain though and the cross-section of titles made the collection all the more fun to look through.

Hello all. About a month ago I traveled into Seattle to a storage unit where the owners were losing the unit so they were selling everything so they didn't have to move it. I was the first one there and picked up around 300 books for $80. Among them was the entire run of Secret Wars, entire run of Ms Marvel (missing one), run of Externals, run of Inhumans, 75% runs of Dr Strange vol 2, 75% run of Master of Kung Fu, X-men 266 & 267, 75% run of All-star Squadron, most of the Marvel Spectacular - Thor, and other. Almost all of them were from VF-NM. Here are some picture:

100_0492.jpg

100_0491.jpg

100_0494.jpg

100_0545.jpg

100_0546.jpg

Last weekend I got a long box of Moderns for $50 and around 40 Green Lanterns for $10. Again all were VF+/NM.

I found a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag today at the flea market. :banana:

A week or two ago I bought some books. Some random guy had a long box and some on the table. I looked through them, and bought about $80 if memory serves. Nothing earth shaking, at least one prior customer got first pick. I got some 20c DC horror, some WBN and some other random stuff. 20c and up was 2 for $5. 10 to 15c was $5. Condition was poor to f/vf. Some had writing on the covers, rolled spines, etc.

Today guy had more of the same type of stuff. He starts off telling me he's losing money on every sale. Some of the stuff looked familiar, but he claimed some guy came late last time and bought everything, so everything I was looking at was new. Before I picked anything out I asked about pricing, he confirmed I bought last time and said the same pricing model. I picked out $90 worth of stuff, and while he was adding it up, noticed he had some of the batman cards from the 60's, some marvel cards from the 70's, and some other random non-sports stuff that I wanted. When he told me $90, I asked if he could go somewhere in the $50 dollar range as I wanted some cards and had $100 to spend. That may have been too aggressive, I dunno it's a flea market, had I seen the cards first I wouldn't have picked out so much. He says no I can't do that, but he's talking to some other guy and a couple of minutes says he'll go $80 for the comics. I remove enough stuff to get the price down to $45 so I can then buy the cards that I want (at what would have been his asking price). He asks if I've removed some books which I thought was odd, but tell him yes. He then says, "I'm gonig to tell you a price and that's it." Mind you I've removed half of what I was buying. He tells me $70. Basically $5/book for low to mid grade common stuff. I was floored, thanked him and left. He was calling me names and complaining as I walked away.

I found a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag today at the flea market. :banana:

A week or two ago I bought some books. Some random guy had a long box and some on the table. I looked through them, and bought about $80 if memory serves. Nothing earth shaking, at least one prior customer got first pick. I got some 20c DC horror, some WBN and some other random stuff. 20c and up was 2 for $5. 10 to 15c was $5. Condition was poor to f/vf. Some had writing on the covers, rolled spines, etc.

Today guy had more of the same type of stuff. He starts off telling me he's losing money on every sale. Some of the stuff looked familiar, but he claimed some guy came late last time and bought everything, so everything I was looking at was new. Before I picked anything out I asked about pricing, he confirmed I bought last time and said the same pricing model. I picked out $90 worth of stuff, and while he was adding it up, noticed he had some of the batman cards from the 60's, some marvel cards from the 70's, and some other random non-sports stuff that I wanted. When he told me $90, I asked if he could go somewhere in the $50 dollar range as I wanted some cards and had $100 to spend. That may have been too aggressive, I dunno it's a flea market, had I seen the cards first I wouldn't have picked out so much. He says no I can't do that, but he's talking to some other guy and a couple of minutes says he'll go $80 for the comics. I remove enough stuff to get the price down to $45 so I can then buy the cards that I want (at what would have been his asking price). He asks if I've removed some books which I thought was odd, but tell him yes. He then says, "I'm gonig to tell you a price and that's it." Mind you I've removed half of what I was buying. He tells me $70. Basically $5/book for low to mid grade common stuff. I was floored, thanked him and left. He was calling me names and complaining as I walked away.

That's sad to hear. The swap meet here has gone to the dogs. In the 90's you could sell just about anything as we are near an Army base and Air Force base. Now people are asking if you have 12 centers in you cheap bins and others think their dreck is gold. I have run across to many that don't want to pay the value of the good stuff and others who want to charge to much for books that you can get in quarter bins.

It sounds to me like a slight lack of communication. He was busy with other people and didn't know how many books you took out. It sounds like he was working with you since he dropped the price from $90 to $80 then $70. Did you actually tell him you took about 1/2 of the books out?

It sounds to me like a slight lack of communication. He was busy with other people and didn't know how many books you took out. It sounds like he was working with you since he dropped the price from $90 to $80 then $70. Did you actually tell him you took about 1/2 of the books out?

I thought it may have been a little lack of communication. The other person was gone though when he recounted my books and dropped the price to $70. It was his attitude that, "What I tell you is what it's going to be" though that kind of got my attention. I thought the money I spent last week would have had me in his good graces. Perhaps I should have told him I took out the books so I could buy his cards too. I dunno if he thought I was going to spend several hundred dollars and was surprised when I put books back, or if he thought I was being shifty. I think if the stuff was better/higher quality it may have turned out differently, but I guess it's moot.

Hi All,

I found this at a garage sale earlier today. Got it for a $1.50 (worth it to me). Kind of beat up but I thought it was pretty cool.

Measures 2.25" (57mm) x 4" (200mm). It reminds me of the metal license plates I could get for my bicycle years ago.

Anyone know anything about it?

BatmanBicycleLicense-front.jpg

BatmanBicycleLicense-Back.jpg

I just went over to the pawnshop next to work to get an mp3 cord and found ASM 300 in 9/9.2 for 3 dollars! Secret Wars 8 8.5 for 3 dollars. Not a bad days work, Sale pending.

Edited by schlep

Are you able to get those price stickers off the magazines safely?

Dunno how Starlog does as a back issue...amazing it survived all the way into 2009 and that fangoria is still around. you'd think the interweb would have killed these niche magazines (and maybe it did for starlog).