• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

A nice white DD#42, maybe an 8.5. The Avengers 17 and the Xmen 11 are rags.

There wasn't a DD #1, just the annual #1 but there was the #2.

IMG_0026.jpg

Looks like you found some keepers! Nice job, but the action comics posted after you will probably steal your thunder..

For sure! (worship)

Found a few goodies at a Garage Sale this morning. Nothing spectacular, but a few decent ones. Especially at 50 cents each. The interesting thing was there were 2 guys going through the comics before I got there. There were around 5-6 short boxes. They pulled out about a box worth, but either missed a few that I picked up or didn't know they had value.

Here's a wild thought... could they have been buying books they wanted for their collection, instead of just buying stuff to flip?

I believe that - I'm often reminded how lucky we are on these boards in terms of knowledge and understanding of the market compared to the vast majority of collectors. To most, story and emotional connection are still a priority when selecting books.

You can be buying for your collection and looking to buy the most valuable books for as little as possible. Are there really any collectors who willfully pass up a $15-20 book when it is priced at 50 cents?

Recognizing 1st app of Doomsday does not require any super specialized board knowledge. If you collect comics from the last 40 years it is probably something you know. The other stuff not so much, the mignola detective that is now worth a few bucks is a book that i used to get out of the dollar box, ditto with most of the other stuff in there,

Edited by the blob

Found a few goodies at a Garage Sale this morning. Nothing spectacular, but a few decent ones. Especially at 50 cents each. The interesting thing was there were 2 guys going through the comics before I got there. There were around 5-6 short boxes. They pulled out about a box worth, but either missed a few that I picked up or didn't know they had value.

Here's a wild thought... could they have been buying books they wanted for their collection, instead of just buying stuff to flip?

I believe that - I'm often reminded how lucky we are on these boards in terms of knowledge and understanding of the market compared to the vast majority of collectors. To most, story and emotional connection are still a priority when selecting books.

You can be buying for your collection and looking to buy the most valuable books for as little as possible. Are there really any collectors who willfully pass up a $15-20 book when it is priced at 50 cents?

Recognizing 1st app of Doomsday does not require any super specialized board knowledge. If you collect comics from the last 40 years it is probably something you know. The other stuff not so much, the mignola detective that is now worth a few bucks is a book that i used to get out of the dollar box, ditto with most of the other stuff in there,

I have no interest in becoming that tied up in ebay auctions that I'm flipping 50 cent books for 15 bucks. I guess I'm odd. :shrug:

It's that time of the year where the flea markets are starting to close over most of the country. Out here on the west coast, we can go out all year long. It was a little chilly yesterday morning for us (high 40's). But I bundled up and went out early.

Nothing outstanding, but some fun stuff real cheap. Nothing like going through fresh boxes coming right out of the back of a pick up truck. Got some fun stuff to go through. Fished these cool 1953 space cards out of three boxes.

pcc124b_zpsmmut16yo.jpg

pcc124a_zpsjrxoipys.jpg

Not everyday that you find this for $5 at the flea market - but I guess today was my day :headbang:

001.jpg

No back cover, and front cover is detached, but all the pages are there, so I aint complaining

:o That's a awesome find maybe you'll find #1

Not everyday that you find this for $5 at the flea market - but I guess today was my day :headbang:

001.jpg

No back cover, and front cover is detached, but all the pages are there, so I aint complaining

Fantastic! If you don't mind sharing the story, what were the circumstances of finding this? Were there any other good books?

The guy had a mish mosh of paper spread among several long boxes (magazines, comics, newspapers etc). I pulled out a few comics, nothing spectacular, which were $3. I was about to leave, when I took another look at a box that was primarily magazines, and there it was. After picking my jaw off the ground, in the calmest voice I could muster, I asked the gent how much - "Oh that one's old - $5." I quickly handed him $5 and skedaddled.

I came back to look through the boxes again and ask the guy if he had any other comics - he told me he had 3 others like that "old one" I had bought, but he sold it before. So I guess if any Action 1s come on the census, we will know where it came from.

I have no interest in becoming that tied up in ebay auctions that I'm flipping 50 cent books for 15 bucks. I guess I'm odd. :shrug:

Doing that is $175 an hour, so I suppose you are. I will happily do that all day long.

Doing that is $175 an hour, so I suppose you are. I will happily do that all day long.

Respectfully, that's your job. For those of us who aren't as practiced in turning over books, we're going to take lot longer to do it. As I've said, flipping is best left to the experts, not the weekend guys looking to scratch up a few extra dollars.

I'm not sure, but I think you're saying how smart we are, and how stupid everyone else is. If that's the case, count me among the vast majority of collectors who buy it because we like it. Remember, you need collectors to sell your undesirable books to. Even if you're just a weekend nickel and dime flipper, it's in your interest to encourage and develop these buyers, not belittle them.

I didn't read any of that into what he said. I don't see how it was the least bit derogatory or demeaning.

Respectfully, that's your job. For those of us who aren't as practiced in turning over books, we're going to take lot longer to do it. As I've said, flipping is best left to the experts, not the weekend guys looking to scratch up a few extra dollars.

It doesn't take an expert to sell a comic for $15. As a matter of fact, it takes about as much savvy as you typing on this message board. If you don't care about making fun money from something you like anyway, that's cool...more for me and us "weekend guys" selling to support our personal collections.

You have a weird history with people profiting off comics and I'm curious where it started.

It doesn't take an expert to sell a comic for $15. As a matter of fact, it takes about as much savvy as you typing on this message board. If you don't care about making fun money from something you like anyway, that's cool...more for me and us "weekend guys" selling to support our personal collections.

You have a weird history with people profiting off comics and I'm curious where it started.

:popcorn:

$175 worth of $15 books in an hour? That's 15 books/hour, if my math is right. That's 4 minutes per book. So grading, bagging/boarding, scanning, listing, printing postage, packing (not including time to get to USPS cause I know you get yours picked up) and that's on top of whatever time it took to acquire the books? Wow. That's quick.

001.jpg

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:(thumbs u