• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,875 posts in this topic

What if that scumbag was keeping it for themselves, and not planning to sell it? He's not planning on making a profit on it so why should it matter what he got it for? He or she then are just adding something to their collection that they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.
It doesn't matter. Did you screw an old lady out of grocery money? Did you screw her survivors out of inheritance? Did you screw her grandchildren out of tuition?

Oh, but you did it because you wanted a neat comic for your collection. That makes it okay. :eyeroll:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, so don't jump down my throat, but it's possible that old lady could be better off than you think. Also, if she was going to throw it out anyway then she isn't being screwed out of something she never would have received.

If you're the one having the yard sale, and a blind man wants to buy a CD for a buck and accidentally hands you a $100, and you don't say anything, it's exactly the same to me. Except he'd be handing you a hundred thousand dollar bill. It doesn't matter how well off he is. It's not right. It doesn't matter if it's legal, it's not right.

The scenario that so many people on here claim to dream of is the very one you describe...

Right, wrong, indifferent - eh.

Is it always "not-right" when someone pays less than FMV for something?

I am over-simplifing of course, but I don't know if I would paint a line in this case and say one side is "right" and one is "wrong."

FYI - taking the incorrect denomination of cash from a blind person is not the same thing as someone paying retail price on an item (even if it is grossly under-priced).

I think I answered that on the previous page.

Paying a dollar for a hundred thousand dollar comic and paying FMV for everything leaves a LOT of in-between, doesn't it?

FYI - taking the incorrect denomination of cash from a blind person is not the same thing as someone paying retail price on an item (even if it is grossly under-priced).

Why not? The blind guy should have done his research, or hired someone to let him know what that slip of paper was worth. As long as you're not in charge of pulling the correct denomination out of his wallet for him, what's the big deal? If he never realizes what he did, does it even matter?

Also, PROFITS! That's what's important, right?

Why not? The blind guy should have done his research, or hired someone to let him know what that slip of paper was worth. As long as you're not in charge of pulling the correct denomination out of his wallet for him, what's the big deal? If he never realizes what he did, does it even matter?

Also, PROFITS! That's what's important, right?

I understand you are trying to prove a point; but I disagree with your analogy, they really are not the same thing.

A blind man cannot tell whether or not a bill is a $1 note or a $100 note. However, a non-disabled adult is perfectly capable of researching the value of merchandise they are selling.

Taking advantage of someone's disability is not tantamount to taking advantage of their ignorance or naiveté.

Paying a dollar for a hundred thousand dollar comic and paying FMV for everything leaves a LOT of in-between, doesn't it?

Sure, but if you are going to try to use extreme scenarios to win an argument, I don't see why I can't do the same.

To your point though; in reality, every situation is unique.

A blind man cannot tell whether or not a bill is a $1 note or a $100 note. However, a non-disabled adult is perfectly capable of researching the value of merchandise they are selling.

Really? How so, the internet? What if she'd never used it before? You ever see an old person try to operate a VCR? Now imagine them trying to operate the world wide web. What if she doesn't even have web access? What if she's not literate? My grandpa isn't very literate, I doubt he'd do great on Google. He grew up during the depression, pretty sure he didn't even finish middle school. Not everybody has the same research tools we have, not everyone can make sense of the same research tools we have.

Bottom line, not everything that is legal is right. To me they are exactly the same. You're knowingly taking a fortune from someone. Jump through hoops to justify it all you want, it's not going to convince some people.

Sure, but if you are going to try to use extreme scenarios to win an argument, I don't see why I can't do the same.

To your point though; in reality, every situation is unique.

My "extreme scenario" was not only in response to the extreme scenario of "Paying anything under FMV for anything ever is stealing to some people" but also an example used on these boards in the past as some people's very hopes and dreams. I didn't make up the "little old lady getting out of a fortune by a comic collector" scenario. It's happened in the past, and some people salivate at the thought of it happening again as long as they are the beneficiary. I consider people like that scumbags. I could say it nicer, I could choose to not say it at all, but I think it may benefit some people out there to hear it. So I say it.

Edited by dupont2005

Really? How so, the internet? What if she'd never used it before? You ever see an old person try to operate a VCR? Now imagine them trying to operate the world wide web. What if she doesn't even have web access? What if she's not literate? My grandpa isn't very literate, I doubt he'd do great on Google. He grew up during the depression, pretty sure he didn't even finish middle school. Not everybody has the same research tools we have, not everyone can make sense of the same research tools we have.

Bottom line, not everything that is legal is right. To me they are exactly the same. You're knowingly taking a fortune from someone. Jump through hoops to justify it all you want, it's not going to convince some people.

Again with the extreme examples. I get what you are saying and I am not totally in disagreement. However, your counter arguments are extreme and silly.

There is grey area in everything and the simple truth of the world is that perspective and situational details are important factors in evaluating anything. Picking the complete altruistic point of view is just plain disingenuous.

No human adult is 100% altruistic all the time.

Regardless we don't need to discuss this further as you are clearly not going to budge from your POV, nor me from mine.

I'm an outsider on these boards, but hasn't this same conversation already been removed from this thread by moderators?

Well, if it has, I certainly hope they do it again.

What if that scumbag was keeping it for themselves, and not planning to sell it? He's not planning on making a profit on it so why should it matter what he got it for? He or she then are just adding something to their collection that they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.
It doesn't matter. Did you screw an old lady out of grocery money? Did you screw her survivors out of inheritance? Did you screw her grandchildren out of tuition?

Oh, but you did it because you wanted a neat comic for your collection. That makes it okay. :eyeroll:

Has anyone said cool books yet?

I used to love this thread....now I hate it.No Fun.

I feel the same way.

Also, your avatar scares me. Every time I read your posts I feel like I am going to be hypnotized into giving away my books for really cheap prices...

Give,give your books to Jimmers......

But it's not a moral obligation, nor are they a "scumbag" if they choose not to. Mercy in the market is a gift given, not an obligation.
Legal obligation and moral obligation are two different things. There's no LEGAL obligation to do so, in my opinion there is a moral obligation, and I judge people accordingly.

I think we have a moral obligation to tell you to give it a rest. You're single handedly killing the thread…