• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,876 posts in this topic

But it's not a moral obligation, nor are they a "scumbag" if they choose not to. Mercy in the market is a gift given, not an obligation.
Legal obligation and moral obligation are two different things. There's no LEGAL obligation to do so, in my opinion there is a moral obligation, and I judge people accordingly.

I think we have a moral obligation to tell you to give it a rest. You're single handedly killing the thread…

Amen!

I used to love this thread....now I hate it.No Fun.

If I find a good deal on a small collection of cool books, I'm keeping that mess to myself.

No joke. There's no way I'm posting in here anymore after what's happened in the past few weeks.

Peace,

Chip

Butthurt and jealousy erwhere. If I find a good deal on a small collection of cool books, I'm keeping that mess to myself.

Okay,the word butthurt always makes me giggle but this post made me outright laugh. :foryou:

Butthurt and jealousy erwhere. If I find a good deal on a small collection of cool books, I'm keeping that mess to myself.

Okay,the word butthurt always makes me giggle but this post made me outright laugh. :foryou:

:luhv:

But it's not a moral obligation, nor are they a "scumbag" if they choose not to. Mercy in the market is a gift given, not an obligation.
Legal obligation and moral obligation are two different things. There's no LEGAL obligation to do so, in my opinion there is a moral obligation, and I judge people accordingly.

I think we have a moral obligation to tell you to give it a rest. You're single handedly killing the thread…

Amen!

Man, I feel horrible I engaged in what seemed like, on the surface, a typical conversation. :blush::sorry:

This is consistently one of the best threads on the board. Normally I don't like things going *poof* around here, but if Mods were to clean up all the 'hijacking' posts, including mine, it would be great. :wishluck::wishluck: Conversing with zealotry is boring. Wading through it all is worse.

The idiotic "old lady with an Action 1" chestnut is the board's version of Godwin's Law.

Can we at least change it to a middle aged man's Detective 27 or something?

Ok, middle aged man is selling his recently passed father's items at a garage sale. Middle aged man is well off as you can tell from the car in the drive way, and size of the house. You see a box of comics, nothing that special, but rare for what you would find at a garage sale, just some beat up old comics, only worth a few dollars a piece. You ask the guy how much for the whole box, he says 70, you counter with 50, and reach an agreement on 50. Once you get home you start going through the box since you only saw the surface at the sale. Every layer peeled reveals a nice set of books then the last.

First some fifty Dells, then some 50's war comics you know those are valuable a guy on the internet told me. Some pre-code horror, you've already made some money back, then boom you reach pay dirt, golden age super hero! Detective comics! Starting with #40 you work your way back 39 is there, and you take a deep breath and look underneath it. Yes! #38 the first Robin! Your exited now you just scored a major find, that shouldn't even be possible with more books still underneath it. You keep going finding issue after issue until you see it, #31 one of the most classic covers of all time. Your ecstatic you just found 2 of the most valuable comics, with still a few left. You regain composer, and continue to go through your find of one in a million, 30, 29,28, and that's where you stop, and look.

Right underneath 28 there seems to be 1 comic left, and if it continues to follow the numbers in your head you know what it must be. Slowly you lift the comic on top of it off, and what does it reveal!? Detective comics #27, the FIRST BATMAN! You are in shock you just found the second most valuable comic, plus many other multi thousand dollar books that you paid less then hundred dollars for.You didn't know they were in the box at the time you bought them. He was old enough o use the internet, and do research. Do you go back, and tell the gut what you found, and what there worth? I wouldn't...

Why aren't there any by me!!! Nice score!

Just got off the phone with a boardie who may be buying someone's collection. I really feel that up here in the North East around the NY-NJ metro area that most people are savvy enough to know that if they even think they have something good, they will sell it online themselves.

I do not know a lot of people offering around decent stuff. Usually they sell everything they possibly can themselves to get the most they can for the items then start shopping around the scraps.

When I was a kid in the 70's it seemed like eveyone knew old comic books were valuable. It still absolutely blows my mind when older OO collections surface, makes you wonder why they waited until now. I know financial distress, especially among the elderly, but still..there has been so much heat on comics for so long, I'm amazed anyone ever finds anything old out in the wild.

Just got off the phone with a boardie who may be buying someone's collection. I really feel that up here in the North East around the NY-NJ metro area that most people are savvy enough to know that if they even think they have something good, they will sell it online themselves.

I do not know a lot of people offering around decent stuff. Usually they sell everything they possibly can themselves to get the most they can for the items then start shopping around the scraps.

In Chicago there isn't much either, add the number of boardies who seem to be one step ahead and it makes things even more scarce.

That being said, it does take looking everywhere and I mean everywhere and a little luck and you'll surprised what you can find.

I mainly find copper books which seem to be ignored by most collectors, it's rare I find any silver or bronze keys like everyone seems to post regularly here.

There are plenty of people in the Northeast offering nice collectible comics at really really good prices. I find them all the time. Just keep looking. (thumbs u

:luhv:

We gotta hang more often.Missed you Bro!! :foryou:

I spent a couple hours on Saturday afternoon going through a guy's storage room looking at a bunch of comics. I ended up getting about 250 or so books, including a nice VFish BA12.

:cloud9:

But what the heck am I going to do with a ten-pack of corner blunted Spawn 9s? Couldn't resist throwing them on the pile.

I'll be going back again to see the guy's other storage unit which according to him is where he keeps the 'good stuff'.

:banana:

After following this thread for a few months, I decided to give a flea market a try.

Anyone who is out there going through all these boxes of moderns trying to find the gem -- I sympathize with you. While it was kind of interesting at first-- this is work and pretty grueling.

I agree Dude, and I imagine I stopped by the same place or places you did living in PHX. Only so much Brass Armadillo I can take. I gotta find a better flea market, it's also just too hot in the summer here to do anything. I love this thread though!!!!

Edited by MrKnowthanx