• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Here are a few I found this past weekend in an antique shop

IMG_0581_zps6ee45983.jpg

:o

I know - I couldn't believe it either!!

Unelievable....especially at an antique shop! Care to divulge what you paid for those babies? I'm assuming it was a great deal.

If he didn't pay 90% of their FMV I'm sure the sharks here in CG will be out for blood saying he ripped off a little old lady and karma's going to swallow him whole. :o

There's plenty of room between paying 90% FMV for something and buying a million dollar Action #1 for a dollar.

This was somewhere in between. No little old lady. Anonymous dealer who had several short boxes marked "Collectors Comics" in a glass case. Never even met him. He wasn't giving them away. But he is not a comic guy per say so they were not priced according to the current market conditions.

I don't have a problem with getting a "deal" at an antique store. The antique store is in the business of selling collectibles. It is the antique store owner's duty to know the market for all forms of antiques and price appropriately. If I go into an antique store and if the owner of the store offers to sell me the comics for a certain price, even if it is a low price, I would not feel that I am ripping him off. Again, it is the antique store owner's job to know what he is selling.

On the other hand, if you go to some old lady's house and buy her deceased husband's Action Comics 1 for $100, then you are ripping her off. The old lady is not in business and cannot be expected to know the FMV of what she is selling.

IMG_0581_zps6ee45983.jpg

Unelievable....especially at an antique shop! Care to divulge what you paid for those babies? I'm assuming it was a great deal.

If he didn't pay 90% of their FMV I'm sure the sharks here in CG will be out for blood saying he ripped off a little old lady and karma's going to swallow him whole. :o

There's plenty of room between paying 90% FMV for something and buying a million dollar Action #1 for a dollar.

This was somewhere in between. No little old lady. Anonymous dealer who had several short boxes marked "Collectors Comics" in a glass case. Never even met him. He wasn't giving them away. But he is not a comic guy per say so they were not priced according to the current market conditions.

I don't have a problem with getting a "deal" at an antique store. The antique store is in the business of selling collectibles. It is the antique store owner's duty to know the market for all forms of antiques and price appropriately. If I go into an antique store and if the owner of the store offers to sell me the comics for a certain price, even if it is a low price, I would not feel that I am ripping him off. Again, it is the antique store owner's job to know what he is selling.

On the other hand, if you go to some old lady's house and buy her deceased husband's Action Comics 1 for $100, then you are ripping her off. The old lady is not in business and cannot be expected to know the FMV of what she is selling.

I agree with you in principle, but at the same time, aren't there tons of tools for the little old lady to figure out the value of her book?

That's a fairly strong take on it. Every knowledgeable buyer has a moral obligation to turn advocate for any amateur seller they encounter?

How do you know the buyer's $100 isn't preventing her from just throwing it away?

Those type of 'garage' sales are always qiuck-flip situations where sellers are dumping possessions quickly, to be done immediately and move on. Treasures mixed with trash are the whole allure. There's nothing predatory about finding advantage in those situations.

IMG_0581_zps6ee45983.jpg

. That's well said! :applause:

IMG_0581_zps6ee45983.jpg

Exactly. How many times have people bragged about finding gems at a LCS that were mispriced? It would be hilarious if we start ripping on people for finding great deals at Walmart.

That's a fairly strong take on it. Every knowledgeable buyer has a moral obligation to turn advocate for any amateur seller they encounter?

Yes. Basically. When they're unknowingly selling a six to seven figure collectible for pocket change at a yard sale, a decent human being would inform them. A scumbag would laugh all the way to the bank.

What if that scumbag was keeping it for themselves, and not planning to sell it? He's not planning on making a profit on it so why should it matter what he got it for? He or she then are just adding something to their collection that they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

Yes. Basically. When they're unknowingly selling a six to seven figure collectible for pocket change at a yard sale, a decent human being would inform them. A scumbag would laugh all the way to the bank.

I get the concept, I really do. (thumbs u There's a boundary I think you take it beyond.

If she took it to a professional seller and asked for info and an offer, yeah, they have a moral obligation for honesty and fair treatment.

If she asked a neighbor kid to help haul out her deceased husband's belongings and he notices it while rummaging , yep, he has a moral obligation to inform her of its significance.

The dividing line, the boundary, is the Marketplace. Once an item is on the open market for a voluntary price, it's in the wide open out on the Serengeti plain asking to be consumed. At that point, if a buyer chooses to share their good fortune with the seller, fine. But it's not a moral obligation, nor are they a "scumbag" if they choose not to. Mercy in the market is a gift given, not an obligation.

I get the concept, I really do. (thumbs u There's a boundary I think you take it beyond.

If she took it to a professional seller and asked for info and an offer, yeah, they have a moral obligation for honesty and fair treatment.

If she asked a neighbor kid to help haul out her deceased husband's belongings and he notices it while rummaging , yep, he has a moral obligation to inform her of its significance.

The dividing line, the boundary, is the Marketplace. Once an item is on the open market for a voluntary price, it's in the wide open out on the Serengeti plain asking to be consumed. At that point, if a buyer chooses to share their good fortune with the seller, fine. But it's not a moral obligation, nor are they a "scumbag" if they choose not to. Mercy in the market is a gift given, not an obligation.

Well, I disagree. Just because I'm not a "professional" doesn't mean I don't know what it's worth. Screwing old ladies over for profit is no bueno regardless of your professional status. When you see someone obviously mistakenly throwing away a windfall that could change their lives, their children's lives, their grandchildren's lives, and you steal it so you can have more funny books, I consider that person a scumbag. Absolutely nothing, no sort of logic could possibly change my mind on that. All I can think of is the possibility that generations of children may grow up in poverty because someone decided to be greedy. As someone who grew up in extreme poverty and experienced first hand that glass ceiling I can never accept someone who would do such a thing as anything but a scumbag.

What if that scumbag was keeping it for themselves, and not planning to sell it? He's not planning on making a profit on it so why should it matter what he got it for? He or she then are just adding something to their collection that they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.
It doesn't matter. Did you screw an old lady out of grocery money? Did you screw her survivors out of inheritance? Did you screw her grandchildren out of tuition?

Oh, but you did it because you wanted a neat comic for your collection. That makes it okay. :eyeroll:

But it's not a moral obligation, nor are they a "scumbag" if they choose not to. Mercy in the market is a gift given, not an obligation.
Legal obligation and moral obligation are two different things. There's no LEGAL obligation to do so, in my opinion there is a moral obligation, and I judge people accordingly.

It doesn't matter. Did you screw an old lady out of grocery money? Did you screw her survivors out of inheritance? Did you screw her grandchildren out of tuition?

Oh, but you did it because you wanted a neat comic for your collection. That makes it okay. :eyeroll:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, so don't jump down my throat, but it's possible that old lady could be better off than you think. Also, if she was going to throw it out anyway then she isn't being screwed out of something she never would have received.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, so don't jump down my throat, but it's possible that old lady could be better off than you think. Also, if she was going to throw it out anyway then she isn't being screwed out of something she never would have received.

If you're the one having the yard sale, and a blind man wants to buy a CD for a buck and accidentally hands you a $100, and you don't say anything, it's exactly the same to me. Except he'd be handing you a hundred thousand dollar bill. It doesn't matter how well off he is. It's not right. It doesn't matter if it's legal, it's not right.