• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

On 5/21/2017 at 10:55 AM, srezvan said:

I had limited success from 3 yard sales. I'll just post this one pic because I had never seen this Splitting Image ashcan before. 

YardSale-2017-05-20a.thumb.jpg.d3610f66c8aa5b7382730b0fa91c1500.jpg

Those Wizard Twisted Toyfares are cool. One of my first finds ever was volume 10.. It was in a box of drek and I almost threw it away till I looked at prices on the bay for it..

Congrats

I went to a flea market today at an old army base where they small buildings now hold vendors. There was a comic guy! He had tons of drek! He also had some nice nice books but at least 2x what I expected (Web of Spidey 1 $20, X-Force 1 $20, Iron Man 55 $350). I may go back on the weekend when the grounds are also full of vendors who set up outside.

but I also had a possible lead from a co-worker today. He came to my office and said "you sell comics, right? What is the best way for me to sell as my fiance says we have no room at our new place for them." I stifled my laughter and told him his options, #1 of which is to sell them to me. He says that all he really has are Sgt. Fury and Howling Commandos (he seemed to think full run) and Spider-Man. He is early 20s so probably not too early in the run but who knows. Maybe a 667 variant! :wishluck:

(Just kidding, I doubt that but you never know do you!)

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

but I also had a possible lead from a co-worker today. He came to my office and said "you sell comics, right?"

Not, "you collect comics," he said "you sell comics"?  That seems really odd, what do you tell these people?

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

Not, "you collect comics," he said "you sell comics"?  That seems really odd, what do you tell these people?

I tell them that I buy collections to sell and keep a few. I have the flyer and everything.

2 hours ago, Ducky13 said:

While antiquing in Wytheville VA, came across this 1966 Batman Thermos, glass insert is still intact overall condition is very good.

http://IMG_0112.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

Very nice find. You see the lunch box from time to time but the thermos which usually got broken, is a little harder. Looks like nice paint on yours too.

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Very nice find. You see the lunch box from time to time but the thermos which usually got broken, is a little harder. Looks like nice paint on yours too.

I could never keep a thermos from breaking inside when I was a kid. I recall that sound of drinking glass and the anger that I ruined another one! Ah, the good ol'days.

21 hours ago, Bird said:

I went to a flea market today at an old army base where they small buildings now hold vendors. There was a comic guy! He had tons of drek! He also had some nice nice books but at least 2x what I expected (Web of Spidey 1 $20, Iron Man 55 $350).

These prices don't seem that bad, what are you expecting to pay?

42 minutes ago, spreads said:

These prices don't seem that bad, what are you expecting to pay?

(I said 2x what I expected.)  web 1 is on ebay 9.99 free shipping and their is a sold listing of x-force 1, 11 copies, for $12.50 + shipping. So I expected 1/2 what they were listing at a flea market situation. Ebay also has sold IM55 at $250 for a similar condition copy.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

(I said 2x what I expected.)  web 1 is on ebay 9.99 free shipping and their is a sold listing of x-force 1, 11 copies, for $12.50 + shipping. So I expected 1/2 what they were listing at a flea market situation. Ebay also has sold IM55 at $250 for a similar condition copy.

I can never understand why people think things should cost less at a flea market than they do on ebay. It does happen and I'm always hoping it will but I don't expect it. At the flea market you can hold it, inspect it and not pay for shipping. Or, you can pay less and chance it...

I sell a lot of antiques and collectibles at flea markets. No modern comics though. I price fair and discount if needed. I am usually the only one out there with SA and GA comics at all. I get my share of the tacky lowballers with their cell phones quoting ebay prices trying to tell me what stuff is "worth". Depending on attitude, I sometimes just tell them to hit that "buy it now" button since it is such a great deal. Never had anybody do it though.

I love it Bird. Flea markets on a week day. Only on the east coast. We only get them on weekends out here.

A typical set up for me

flea%201_zpsxznqkfdb.jpg

flea%203_zpseehuv0jm.jpg

flea%202_zpsmkisjv7f.jpg

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I can never understand why people think things should cost less at a flea market than they do on ebay. It does happen and I'm always hoping it will but I don't expect it. At the flea market you can hold it, inspect it and not pay for shipping. Or, you can pay less and chance it...

I love it Bird. Flea markets on a week day. Only on the east coast. We only get them on weekends out here.

I said that I expected half of what they were pricing, which given the examples I gave with X-Force (slightly more than $1 each vs $20) and Web ($10 shipped vs $20) would still be more than ebay. Quite a bit more in fact. The IM55 was not quite double ebay but what, 30-40% more. These prices were high LCS with less quality condition. I went there looking for bargains but not expecting any comics at all actually. I expected ebay prices more or less but not prices that were in well in excess of ebay. The drek was poor condition, unbagged but there were also some SA beaters there in bags. Just killing time on my lunch hour as it is close to work but an hour from home so Sundays are more or less out of the question.

This flea market is wed and Sun with sunday having far more vendors as they use the outdoors on sundays, wednesdays is in the old army building which are tiny.

9 minutes ago, Bird said:

I said that I expected half of what they were pricing, which given the examples I gave with X-Force (slightly more than $1 each vs $20) and Web ($10 shipped vs $20) would still be more than ebay. Quite a bit more in fact. The IM55 was not quite double ebay but what, 30-40% more. These prices were high LCS with less quality condition. I went there looking for bargains but not expecting any comics at all actually. I expected ebay prices more or less but not prices that were in well in excess of ebay. The drek was poor condition, unbagged but there were also some SA beaters there in bags. Just killing time on my lunch hour as it is close to work but an hour from home so Sundays are more or less out of the question.

This flea market is wed and Sun with sunday having far more vendors as they use the outdoors on sundays, wednesdays is in the old army building which are tiny.

Yeah, I know what you mean on the high side too. There is a lot of stuff just priced stupidly high as well. I don't argue with those guys. Or "make an offer" when it is priced to the moon. I just say thanks and move on. Like at a con, I find most of the deals just buried in boxes with other paper items that have nothing to do with comics. You gotta work for the deal.

Driving to a good flea market an hour away on a Sunday doesn't bother me if it's a good one. Out here we have at least one big one every Sunday. Sometimes a couple smaller ones as well all year long. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose but if you don't go, you don't know. A couple of months ago I missed one about 45 minutes away because it was sprinkling at my house and a little cold. My buddy called me later in the day and said it was fine at the show and a guy got a small pile of EC's cheap...

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, I know what you mean on the high side too. There is a lot of stuff just priced stupidly high as well. I don't argue with those guys. Or "make an offer" when it is priced to the moon. I just say thanks and move on. Like at a con, I find most of the deals just buried in boxes with other paper items that have nothing to do with comics. You gotta work for the deal.

Driving to a good flea market an hour away on a Sunday doesn't bother me if it's a good one. Out here we have at least one big one every Sunday. Sometimes a couple smaller ones as well all year long. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose but if you don't go, you don't know. A couple of months ago I missed one about 45 minutes away because it was sprinkling at my house and a little cold. My buddy called me later in the day and said it was fine at the show and a guy got a small pile of EC's cheap...

The guy manning the booth was not the "comics guy" but the "video game" guy. There were maybe 100 nintendo games and such, the one I grabbed was $6 but I don't know which title...was just getting an idea of what I was dealing with. The comics guys are there on Sundays. I didn't talk prices on the "wall" books since it seems Sundays are the day for that. They had some nice condition MADs too. I almost bought the Spider-Man 700 regular cover for $25 just because I had driven there but decided against it.

I went on wednesday as it was closer and to get the feel of the place. Lots of nice, very nice, furniture but little I am interested in. I might consider a Sunday some time as you are correct, can't get a deal if you don't go. But I have hit yard sales the last two weekends with more luck (got a Web 1 at one in a lot, 28 comics for $12) so until that feels played out the hour drive will wait.

52 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I sell a lot of antiques and collectibles at flea markets. No modern comics though. I price fair and discount if needed. I am usually the only one out there with SA and GA comics at all. I get my share of the tacky lowballers with their cell phones quoting ebay prices trying to tell me what stuff is "worth". Depending on attitude, I sometimes just tell them to hit that "buy it now" button since it is such a great deal. Never had anybody do it though.

A typical set up for me

flea%201_zpsxznqkfdb.jpg

flea%203_zpseehuv0jm.jpg

Nice set up Robot. We actually have a flea market every Wednesday in Ventura at the fairgrounds. When my work schedule permits I like going to that one.

Thanks, this is the Long Beach Vets 3rd Sunday show. It and the Rose Bowl on the 2nd Sunday are the two biggest. I used to go to the Ventura show from time to time when it was a few times a year and did pretty well. Long drive for me though. How is the Wednesday show? I would guess pretty small and maybe not geared to older stuff but I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks, this is the Long Beach Vets 3rd Sunday show. It and the Rose Bowl on the 2nd Sunday are the two biggest. I used to go to the Ventura show from time to time when it was a few times a year and did pretty well. Long drive for me though. How is the Wednesday show? I would guess pretty small and maybe not geared to older stuff but I could be wrong.

The bigger show that is a few times a year is a lot better. Wednesday show is about half the size. Some older stuff, but it's hit and miss. One of former comic shop owner sets up a booth there so it's hard to come across other books.

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, nochips said:

25 short boxes...over 4K comics..1980-current

25 boxes.jpg

So - like what's in the boxes then?

Inquiring minds need to know (plus this thread rocks!)

Hope it's full of BA 12's for you!

18 hours ago, Bird said:

Well maybe taking in better case scenario, but if the range of prices being asked have been around sales prices at some point, I don't think the price is that bad.  Especially considering these guys are looking to sell to a collector/not a flipper, not saying there's anything wrong with flipping just be aware of the circumstance.  I see dealers price stuff way above ebay all the time, for example Spawn #1 for $30-$40 but I'm not going to make a comment about it - and I definitely do not expect dealers (at some shows) to have FMV prices :)

Edited by spreads