• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,841 posts in this topic

I have been putting out a lot of feelers and checking tons of estate sales and yard sales, etc but today I got a reply from someone with 40000 comics! Now I have to seal the deal! (All excited and I haven't even seen them. Probably 39000 copies of Brigade and Bloodshot 0!) Gonna have to drive a bit but thems the breaks!!!

10 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have been putting out a lot of feelers and checking tons of estate sales and yard sales, etc but today I got a reply from someone with 40000 comics! Now I have to seal the deal! (All excited and I haven't even seen them. Probably 39000 copies of Brigade and Bloodshot 0!) Gonna have to drive a bit but thems the breaks!!!

Are you planning on buying all of them?

thats around 120+ long boxes probably much more than that

50 minutes ago, Bird said:

I've seen videos of collections like this, I say good luck! I don't think that someone acquires that many funny books without wanting $$, but I don't want to discourage. How will you transport?? And hopefully there are no stairs :)

55 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Are you planning on buying all of them?

thats around 120+ long boxes probably much more than that

Yeah, I figured about that many long boxes. I am planning on trying to buy them all, but obviously that comes with a bunch of problems and requires a bunch of money! But I believe that the person hasn't been looking to sell but my seeking them out spurred some interest in selling. We are setting up a time to talk tomorrow and he has handwritten lists of the titles. ALL MARVEL from what he says. What people say they have and what people actually have are very different as we all know.

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've seen videos of collections like this, I say good luck! I don't think that someone acquires that many funny books without wanting $$, but I don't want to discourage. How will you transport?? And hopefully there are no stairs :)

Not discouraging me at all. Obviously it is a huge endeavor and the more I think about it the more I grow concerned. Then I think of the books and all is well again! I may try to get a local dealer involved but the risk of getting cut out of the deal means I need to tread carefully. I probably should not have even said anything here!

Any advice on how to proceed? (Feel free to PM me if anyone prefers that.) I haven't purchased more than about 2500 books at once (did that twice). I may tell him some titles I want to start with and ask him to put aside a specific dollar amount's worth of books as a starting point, then go from there. But talking tomorrow should shed some light on what is what. I won't expect it to happen but will hope that it does...I had a lead on a great collection here on the boards but actually getting them into my hands proved elusive so after a year of contact I have kinda given up on that one. So I know it won't happen until it actually happens. 

22 minutes ago, Bird said:

Yeah, I figured about that many long boxes. I am planning on trying to buy them all, but obviously that comes with a bunch of problems and requires a bunch of money! But I believe that the person hasn't been looking to sell but my seeking them out spurred some interest in selling. We are setting up a time to talk tomorrow and he has handwritten lists of the titles. ALL MARVEL from what he says. What people say they have and what people actually have are very different as we all know.

Not discouraging me at all. Obviously it is a huge endeavor and the more I think about it the more I grow concerned. Then I think of the books and all is well again! I may try to get a local dealer involved but the risk of getting cut out of the deal means I need to tread carefully. I probably should not have even said anything here!

Any advice on how to proceed? (Feel free to PM me if anyone prefers that.) I haven't purchased more than about 2500 books at once (did that twice). I may tell him some titles I want to start with and ask him to put aside a specific dollar amount's worth of books as a starting point, then go from there. But talking tomorrow should shed some light on what is what. I won't expect it to happen but will hope that it does...I had a lead on a great collection here on the boards but actually getting them into my hands proved elusive so after a year of contact I have kinda given up on that one. So I know it won't happen until it actually happens. 

Best of luck! I hope it's able to come through for you.

27 minutes ago, Bird said:

You'll get a better idea of how much of it is worthwhile once you put eyes on it, but I would say prioritize what you want based on the list you have, and buy as much as you can swing.  You'll also probably get an idea if this guy thinks he's sitting on a gold mine or is less proud of his collection.  If you can't buy all of it this trip, make an offer on what you can't, set for a later date.  Get to know him a bit so he'd at least give you a call first in case someone else came sniffing around.  Bringing in a dealer can def get you cut out.

Edited by SteppinRazor

10 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Best of luck! I hope it's able to come through for you.

Thanks! :wishluck:

5 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

You'll get a better idea of how much of it is worthwhile once you put eyes on it, but I would say prioritize what you want based on the list you have, and buy as much as you can swing.  You'll also probably get an idea if this guy thinks he's sitting on a gold mine or is less proud of his collection.  If you can't buy all of it this trip, make an offer on what you can't for a later date.  Get to know him a bit so he'd at least give you a call first in case someone else came sniffing around.  Bringing in a dealer can def get you cut out.

I am clearly in over my head here but you give sound advice. I am definitely going to work on getting to know him more than getting right to the comics. I have a few things I will emphasize (one sale for him and many for me, no fees, freed up space, he can go to Hawai'i etc :baiting: ) and will try and keep JoJo The Monkey Boy from coming out so that I can play the long game. 

Edited by Bird

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

I am clearly in over my head here but you give sound advice. I am definitely going to work on getting to know him more than getting right to the comics. I have a few things I will emphasize (one sale for him and many for me, no fees, freed up space, he can go to Hawai'i etc :baiting: ) and will try and keep JoJo The Monkey Boy from coming out so that I can play the long game. 

Giant leaps > baby steps.

I'm sure he'll want to talk about his life/the experience of amassing that many books.  I always thought the American Picker guys did best when they got the 'story' out of the people.

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

Thanks! :wishluck:

You sound sincere and if you don't have to coax too much I think they'll appreciate the thought process of clearing space. If you do plan to part with money enough to be "fair" to their situation then getting to know them will help you be sincere in the offer. That's my only advice, is be yourself. If they're already willing to discuss then you already got your foot in a door. In the words of Alladin :busy:yourself and close a deal :D

Congratulations on finding a 40k book collection.  Now think about how long that will take you to deal with and focus on what your priorities are.  I've picked up a handful of 4000 book collections and even dealing with them can eat your time.  Make a plan and hold back books for yourself before selling all the keys and having bulk to deal with.   

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You sound sincere and if you don't have to coax too much I think they'll appreciate the thought process of clearing space. If you do plan to part with money enough to be "fair" to their situation then getting to know them will help you be sincere in the offer. That's my only advice, is be yourself. If they're already willing to discuss then you already got your foot in a door. In the words of Alladin :busy:yourself and close a deal :D

Yeah, talking tomorrow will be tough as I don't expect to sleep much tonight! We have emailed a bit tonight and I want to say "I'm getting in the car now! Gimme dem comics!" He is going to find his binders with the lists, it sounds like he stopped collecting in the 90s and has just put them away somewhere. Some full runs starting at #1 until the 1`990s. Veddy veddy exciting. I am hitting up some garage sales that advertise comics tomorrow but this is really a good chance at a big deal. I play with comics as a hobby and my wife was laughing at me tonight..."I want to be able to get in the garage and your comics are already in the way!" (I have some drek out there, 5 longboxes or so.) Again, buying them all at once is a real long-shot but we'll see what happens.

the most I've ever purchased was a 26 long box collection. that was a struggle. however i had a local dealer ready to buy the boxes the next day after i removed the majority of sellable books.  I sold about 18 and kept 8 for myself.

Just now, Comicdey said:

Congratulations on finding a 40k book collection.  Now think about how long that will take you to deal with and focus on what your priorities are.  I've picked up a handful of 4000 book collections and even dealing with them can eat your time.  Make a plan and hold back books for yourself before selling all the keys and having bulk to deal with.

Yeah, I have thought about that. Last week I traded 900 drekky comics for $75 in comics. (I mean real drek, no real runs.) I would likely try and do something like that immediately but at a larger value. 30000 ebay sales is not gonna happen in my lifetime. I am trying to formulate some plan A and plan B scenarios now but don't want to go counting chickens yet. I'd better go watch some telly with the wife and kids! Then tell the wife I am really tense about all this! :x 

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

Yeah, I have thought about that. Last week I traded 900 drekky comics for $75 in comics. (I mean real drek, no real runs.) I would likely try and do something like that immediately but at a larger value. 30000 ebay sales is not gonna happen in my lifetime. I am trying to formulate some plan A and plan B scenarios now but don't want to go counting chickens yet. I'd better go watch some telly with the wife and kids! Then tell the wife I am really tense about all this! :x 

Have you got an idea of what he's asking for them all or are you flying blind into the web?

40,000 comics can be $4000 or past 6 figures.   If he quit collecting in 1990/1991 it's the same time I quit.  If his collection is mainly marvel it should go back deep and could be the upper end of value.   I have found collections of hoarders that have bought our stores with 100+ issues of multiple issues.  Hopefully you have a Run collector with some sense of condition.   I wouldn't bring in a dealer on your big opportunity.  If it's good.  Think like a dealer.  Pay like a dealer and then work hard like a dealer.  After filling your collection coffers.

17 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

Have you got an idea of what he's asking for them all or are you flying blind into the web?

40,000 comics can be $4000 or past 6 figures.   If he quit collecting in 1990/1991 it's the same time I quit.  If his collection is mainly marvel it should go back deep and could be the upper end of value.   I have found collections of hoarders that have bought our stores with 100+ issues of multiple issues.  Hopefully you have a Run collector with some sense of condition.   I wouldn't bring in a dealer on your big opportunity.  If it's good.  Think like a dealer.  Pay like a dealer and then work hard like a dealer.  After filling your collection coffers.

Flying blind until we talk tomorrow.  Honestly I know my limitations so offering 5 figures all at once is something I wouldn't do. Too much risk for my family if I eff it up. I will need to cherry pick or buy in stages. But I think we already have a nice rapport. He quit in 1995/96 he said, and he has runs. We gonna facetime so I hope he can take something out of wherever it is, or at least make plans for him to get out something nice like X-Men #1.  He seems like he already wants to sell me something, asked which titles I most want. What a loaded question...money is in X-Men but my collection would love Silver Surfer or Strange Tales Dr Strange runs! (I have to think like a dealer and resell the earliest purchases but won't want to miss on my faves!)

Edited by Bird

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

Flying blind until we talk tomorrow.  Honestly I know my limitations so offering 5 figures all at once is something I wouldn't do. Too much risk for my family if I eff it up. I will need to cherry pick or buy in stages. But I think we already have a nice rapport. He quit in 1995/96 he said, and he has runs. We gonna facetime so I hope he can take something out of wherever it is, or at least make plans for him to get out something nice like X-Men #1.  He seems like he already wants to sell me something, asked which titles I most want. What a loaded question...money is in X-Men but my collection would love Silver Surfer or Strange Tales Dr Strange runs! 

If you've found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, then buy 80% money makers and 20% stuff you like.  Make sure he knows they are going to good homes (what, it's a fair assumption).  If he's looking for top dollar, buy 20% money makers and 80% what you like.

Okay, I talked to the guy with 40000 comics and talked and talked but no specific money talk yet. He is going to pull some titles for me to go look at, perhaps even next weekend.  He didn't think that he had some minor titles that I would have preferred starting with. Tons of lesser books as well but lots of good stuff. He knows his stuff ("Hulk? Oh that has first Wolverine right") but seemed open to making a deal a carload or so at a time. He stopped in 1996 from what he can tell. Every book is listed in his files. We had a very pleasant conversation about cons, art, Kree-Skrull War and the Buscema brothers (I am going to offer him a Big John Kang page from Avengers in trade although I think he will pass as he is a Sal fan). I told to go to Hawai'i when we are done and he said he wants a car for the wife. Maybe he'll take my Honda Fit!

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice.

Edited by Bird
edited to add: turns out the guy went to high school with Mitch Itkowitz, small world

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Okay, I talked to the guy with 40000 comics and talked and talked but no specific money talk yet. He is going to pull some titles for me to go look at, perhaps even next weekend.  He didn't think that he had some minor titles that I would have preferred starting with. Tons of lesser books as well but lots of good stuff. He knows his stuff ("Hulk? Oh that has first Wolverine right") but seemed open to making a deal a carload or so at a time. He stopped in 1996 from what he can tell. Every book is listed in his files. We had a very pleasant conversation about cons, art, Kree-Skrull War and the Buscema brothers (I am going to offer him a Big John Kang page from Avengers in trade although I think he will pass as he is a Sal fan). I told to go to Hawai'i when we are done and he said he wants a car for the wife. Maybe he'll take my Honda Fit!

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice.

I have bought once a collection like that. If you start going down a rathole with what books are in it, you will very very quickly explode the value.

Here is my absolute piece of advice. DO NOT CHERRY PICK. Take them all. Have a maximum number in your head - that number should be the absolute most you can get if you bought the collection and simply donated it for a tax write off. Do not go above that number. If you take all 40,000 books, 30,000 will be drek. Be prepared for that. Also, do you have a place to put 120 long boxes? That's a lot more than you think. Just as a point of reference, 30 long boxes fit in a minivan. 120 long is four minivans full. Remember that.

Very exciting though. 40,000 books is an amazing find. You may want to ask if you can pay on time - that's what I did when I found mine. That allows you to get books slabbed and flip to make your monthly payment. We did $80K in seven months. Was a lot of work, but now I'm sitting on pure profit.