• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

One of my favorite comic books of all time.

If there is a copper comic book that uniquely captured a boy's childhood, for me it was this book. I've searched, but never been able to find anything about the creator. I feel sure he went on to make his living outside of comic books. Which is my loss.

a_boy_and_his_bot_holiday_special01.jpg

Ten years ago, I thought it would be cool to transfer all my comic books over to magazine holders. A few boardies, most notably Chromium, have made it work, but I was unsatisfied with my endeavor. At one point, I had all of my Daredevil's and all the books that I enjoyed reading frequently in these, so it added up.

DSCF0590.jpg

I've kept quite a few of these in storage and I could see me returning to this to, for example, house like minded books by the same author that don't fit a shelf, or to keep limited series by an author all together.

DSCF0589.jpg

So I'm watching 2001: A Space Odyssey this afternoon and I'm struck by how much Ive forgotten about this film. There's very little plot, so that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how psychedelic it is, and how very little dialogue there is. I think I need to watch this film after every ten Bendis books I read.

I read recently some of the hidden gems that Kubrick put in, such as HAL standing in for IBM (each letter being one letter removed from the other)...

but I was struck this afternoon by thinking about the audience at the time of the showing. I bet there were plenty of people wanting their money back after the film. lol

So many great moments.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do,

I'm half crazy all for the love of you.

First sung by an IBM computer, 1961 :o

Wikipedia states that reaction from audiences and critics at the time was mixed. It went on to be the highest grossing film of 1968, and of course, is now considered a masterpiece.

"2001", Kubrick says, "is basically a visual, nonverbal experience" that avoids the spoken word in order to reach the viewer's subconscious in an essentially poetic and philosophic way. The film is a subjective experience which "hits the viewer at an inner level of consciousness, just as music does, or painting".

Although convinced that Clarke was "a recluse, a nut who lives in a tree", Kubrick agreed that Caras would cable the Ceylon-based author with the film proposal. Clarke's cabled response stated that he was "frightfully interested in working with enfant terrible", and added "what makes Kubrick think I'm a recluse?"[27] Meeting for the first time at Trader Vic's in New York on April 22, 1964, the two began discussing the project that would take up the next four years of their lives.

(That cracks me up.)

Clarke noted that, contrary to popular rumor, it was a complete coincidence that each of the letters of HAL's name immediately preceded those of IBM in the alphabet.[39] The meaning of HAL has been given both as "Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer" and as "Heuristic ALgorithmic computer".