• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

Nate, I am blown away. What great work! And what a wonderful family.

But man, would I shiver putting slabs on shelves with no lip to keep them in-place. One angry kid one day slamming one of those doors when you tell them, "No, you cannot have the keys to the car" and it would be the wakeup call you don't want.

At least a small attached piece of 1/8" to 1/4" to the front would do it without detracting from the books.

:gossip: and that Nexus 1 is sitting on the wrong shelf. Send it here and I'll show you how it should be displayed. :baiting:

Oh, and it is Talk Like A Pirate Day, so "Arrrrrrr."

Thanks, Nick!

Also, I'm really not worried about the books on the shelves. I guess you'd just have to try it yourself to see, and I probably wouldn't do it if I lived on the earthquake prone West Coast, but I'm telling you, gravity plus the weight of the comic plus the depth of the shelf equals good stuff.

I love me some Nexus. :cloud9: It's one of the few runs I would keep, even if I sold, "everything".

thanks, again. :applause:

and in honor of pirate day,

"Space Arrrrgghhh"

001.jpg

I've been cyphering on how to display my lightsabers for quite a while now, and once this shelving unit was in place, the answer came to me. Use the end as a display area. So I cut some pegboard to fit and used short pegs.

Bonus points to the nerd who can name all the Jedi, in order, whose sabers these belong to.

ComicBookRoomRedo107.jpg

Lesson learned: Never let a kid drink three bottles of water and then ignore her requests for a bathroom break.

Smartazz answer- Dude, it's Mississippi. She can go whenever and wherever she likes.

Real Answer- I was using water to set my gorilla glue on the daybed. What this looks like to a 4.5 year old is that daddy is pouring water on the wood and smearing it around. Said five year old then went into the house and got three or so water bottles and commenced to begin pouring water onto scraps of wood, "just like daddy".

I didn't notice till she was on her third bottle. And of course, that stuff is expensive. If it had been one of my boys, he'd have gotten fussed at. But since, it's daddy's little girl, she gets a head shake and a proud dad posting her pic on the internet.

Who says women don't rule the world?

So, nearly a month later I resurrect this thread to show progress on my Mancave II (the basement is already excellent Manspace, complete with recliner, couch, stereo, bar, cable tv, and many, many built in bookshelves) a work in progress.

I started laying brick on weekends back in late August, finished up a couple weeks ago and started in on rough carpentry to brace the ceiling and cut out and brace up a roof joist that was dead in the middle of the proper stovepipe access. While I was at it, I rewired all the ceiling fixtures and installed a 4 ft fluorescent fixture over the workbench, and put in a couple extra outlets.

What you see here is the brickwork (there are three hollow columns, one on either side, and a large hollow space directly behind the stove. When the brick mass heats up these give a pretty good thermal siphon, bringing in cold air from the floor and heating it up as it rises through the columns. I'm still debating whether to put a little blower in the base of the left and right columns to push more air through.)

So, the brick is done, the electrical is done, the carpentry is durned near done, and the next day I can convince a buddy to drop by and lend a hand I'll hack a hole in the roof, set my flashing, and install the stovepipe from the stove up to the thimble in the ceiling, then run double wall asbestos lined stovepipe from the ceiling thimble through the roof. After I install the pipe cap and the rain collar on the roof I'll be ready to build a nice fire and hang out in the garage in shirtsleeve comfort.

garage.jpg

Here's the ceiling thimble. This holds the asbestos lined pipe in place from above, and allows the stovepipe from the stove up to mate with the asbestos stuff.

garage2.jpg

....and, here's the rest of the stuff, extra stove pipe, roof flashing, general mayhem.

I expect to have the stove functional by this weekend one way or another.

After that I can start closing in the rest of the ceiling, and thinking about finishing off the outside walls with some sort of pressboard or plywood, just to make a good dead space and keep the heat where it belongs...inside the garage.

I predict a poker game and chilifest in the garage by Thanksgiving, lol

garage3.jpg

Good stuff, Catrick! Keep it coming!

On a related note, my wife got offered and accepted a job 2 hrs away from our current town.

I can do my current job from the new town as easily as where we live.

Guess who's moving, just a month after finishing his three month and thousands of dollars invested, dream man cave?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh .

Well, with any luck it added sufficient extra value to the joint that you'll break even on the materials...

And just think, you can start planning Man Cave The Next Generation as soon as you get the boxes unpacked! Add in those bells and whistles you couldn't cram into this one!

Wet bar! Track lighting! Fireplace! Hidden safe! Doublewide reading/napping/snuggling nook!

I'm not much of a drama queen, and don't really feel like starting any new threads, so as far as updating you guys, let me just say that since I've been off the boards for more than a year:

1. I'm still in the same house. :) The man cave continues to improve. Updated pics when I feel like it. Invested in some excellent old school long box cabinetry for housing my collection, a'la Samuel Peppy's one bookcase book collection.

2. My job no longer has me on the road. So no road tripping comic stops or meet ups for me for a while.

3. I've finished my Avengers run, Bought a nice TMNT 1 from Foolkiller just before I left the boards, a really nice Giant Size X-Men 1 from Bedrock last summer, and two fantastically rare TMNT books in last 6 months- even got a mention on a TMNT blog for one of my purchases!

4. Now working on my FF run, but in no hurry. Need 50 some odd books to go.

5. Plan on making Wizard World New Orleans in January, the other NO show in the summer and would like to make either Heroes or Dragon Con next year.

6. Thanks to Pontoon for his shoutout in the show us your room thread over a year ago. :P I have lurked a bit here and there.

7. Thanks to TuPenny for keeping hope alive and giving me a birthday shoutout back in June.

8. Couldn't get on the boards for the longest, due to user error, and didn't have the time to work it out. hehe.

Great to be back. I'm sorry in advance for everything I've already done and/or will do.

Great to be back. I'm sorry in advance for everything I've already done and/or will do.

Screw you for leaving us hanging.

Oh, and welcome back.

lol