• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See those WWII Japanese Covers
8 8

915 posts in this topic

It's hard to tear your eyes off that cover. But it sure looks nicer than a 6.5.

:applause: [font:Times New Roman]Nice'un, walclark! Schomburg war covers are the bee's knees. (worship)

There's so much interesting stuff goin' on in every one of 'em!

[/font]

Thanks, Cat. I think what attracts me and many other collectors to Schomburg's war covers are the frenetic nature of the action, with so much packed into the image, coupled with the frequent use of almost Rube Goldberg devices to further the scene. It makes me think of Austin Power's Dr. Evil and his sharks with frickin' lasers!

I mean, wouldn't it be simpler, faster, and more cost effective to just shoot Jefferson, Tubby, and Whitewash than to go all "death by lions" on them? Just sayin'.

youngallies11.jpeg

:applause: [font:Times New Roman]Nice'un, walclark! Schomburg war covers are the bee's knees. (worship)

There's so much interesting stuff goin' on in every one of 'em!

[/font]

Thanks, Cat. I think what attracts me and many other collectors to Schomburg's war covers are the frenetic nature of the action, with so much packed into the image, coupled with the frequent use of almost Rube Goldberg devices to further the scene. It makes me think of Austin Power's Dr. Evil and his sharks with frickin' lasers!

I mean, wouldn't it be simpler, faster, and more cost effective to just shoot Jefferson, Tubby, and Whitewash than to go all "death by lions" on them? Just sayin'.

youngallies11.jpeg

Schomburg's villains always come across to me as juvenile delinquents who don't just want to kill a frog - they want to boil it alive as an experiment. The heroes are killjoys who spoil their fun and therefore deserve to die like the straightlaced parents they represent. Not so much good vs evil as good vs really really naughty!

Here's another..

Very nice, very nice. :takeit:

[font:Times New Roman]+1 :applause:

Not sure if Palais classic is the offspring of Biro's, but these covers seem to be blood relatives...[/font]

img_AF2FC_188-1-1.jpg

Gorgeous book. Should post these in the doppelganger thread.

Just found this thread... I posted this one awhile back when I first got it, but here it is again...

air1127a.jpg

This cover really gives an idea of the extent of popular feeling against Japan following Pearl Harbor.

Just found this thread... I posted this one awhile back when I first got it, but here it is again...

air1127a.jpg

This cover really gives an idea of the extent of popular feeling against Japan following Pearl Harbor.

Common way for a country to portray it's enemy, as vermin that need to be exterminated.. I believe the Nazis used the same propaganda technique in a 1933 movie called "The Eternal Jew".

Here's another..

TER4.jpg

Very nice, very nice. :takeit:

[font:Times New Roman]+1 :applause:

Not sure if Palais classic is the offspring of Biro's, but these covers seem to be blood relatives...[/font]

img_AF2FC_188-1-1.jpg

and Skyrocket was inspired by those covers.

2232177362_ccb57f0843_z.jpg