• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See those WWII Japanese Covers
8 8

915 posts in this topic

MrBedrock is not a racist. He's a *shudder*....

Astros fan

And I pay for it daily :tonofbricks:

I thought when he first asked for the thread title to be changed, it seemed like a harmless request. However, when he kept harping about it, I remembered one of his earlier posts when he mentioned the "word" mannup. I also sense some form of hostility/anger. I have to wonder if this person is a shill.

Exactly right.Asking the board members how they felt about changing the title,and then discussing would be just fine.Demanding that the title was changed regardless of how others may feel certainly disappointed me.

I agree - at first glance I thought it was a reasonable request - if enough board members agreed, I supported the change. But the tone changed - after the title change was already made!

This is a part of history, and the intent of the thread and OP was to share your collection showing this subject matter. During WWII, Japan was the enemy, and these covers reflect that.

Nothing posted here was intented to be racist. No one here was calling anyone that - the context is comic book covers from the 1940s. If you read thru the thread, it would be obvious. Maybe Mr Parker is right, we need to stop looking for an issue, where there clearly isn't one!

Sincere thanks to all for the changing of the term 'jap' to japanese.

Many thanks to the moderators. This is the right stance towards equality and basic human rights. A truly a great moment of change.

Now, let's get back to some good clean fun: comics.

Excelsior!

i request that the mods delete any references to australians as "aussies." that shortening of their ethnic name is a slur, even if they're too thick-skulled to realize it. i say it's time for yet another great moment of change.

Wait a minute.

I resemble those remarks :sumo:

This is a great thread. These comics were a product of, and reflective of the time they were produced. No one here is endorsing that outlook now, but it "is what it was".

I just wish I had something to contribute.

Looks like the PC Police are alive and well...Whenever I see retro-active revisions of history, I cant help but be reminded of that prophetic work of George Orwell - 1984. By changing the name of the first thread and all proceeding responses, its like it never happened..cool!

Now that the PC camel has its nose under the tent, I wonder how long it will be before all WW2 comics are banned and/or retroactively whiped out of existence...

Edited by AtlasFan

Look, the mods changed the title, as they probably should have long ago.

But to start calling someone racist over an Aussie joke is more reflective on your problem than anyone else's. Give it a rest. You are new here. You won your battle. Congrats. Now let us look at our cool old funnybooks.

you gotta give him credit for that; he definitely had it nipped in the bud.

meh

Quite the chunk taken out.

thank god you didn't make a little vowel misspelling in the middle word above. no telling how many pages, threads, indeed FORUMS we may have lost.

Token? as in token hire? indeed.

MrBedrock is not a racist. He's far far far worse than that. He's a *shudder*....

Astros fan

There! I said it! That feels liberating.

Since we are writing true confessions, I used to be an Astros fan too. They disappointed me repeatedly. Maybe Bedrock will grow out of it and perhaps turn to a good team like the Yankees. Cub fans are just masochists. Red Sox fans are ..... And the Phillies purchased all the good pitchers that were supposed to play for the Yankees, boo hoo.

bb

Returning to the original intent of this thread, here's a cover that encompasses the WW2 trinity of evil.

TerryToons7.jpg

have always loved that one; i have a comedy cover in a similar vein, but this one i own not because of it's cover, but because cap makes a quasi-appearance inside..

comedy22.jpg

comedycappage.jpg