• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See those WWII Japanese Covers
8 8

915 posts in this topic

Thanks Bedrock. It has already been addressed to Gemma and cgcmod

I sure hope that this incident gets resolved.

I will be forced until then to continue to post in this thread the meaning behind ghis three letter word.

I hope that i will find support from those he did not know if this term and also those who chose not to come forth with this transgression.

Thank you bedrock, comichut and storm shadow for voicing your support.

We must get a correction to this thread. My goal is not to prevent the artwork but any terms that would cause discrimination.

I think that this thread has survived due to the ignorance of the term 'ja*'

This is sincerly what i hope transpired.

Thank you comicdonna for posting.

I have asked gemma two days how and cgcmod and even the board member who started this thread.

Let us hope that 'change' will be soo upon. In an age where the US president can say this. It is time that comic collectors can also say this.

This is the response of ferdelance:

Lou,

I asked the moderater if they could change the title of the thread to Japanese. Older threads can only be changed by the moderator.

Lets see if Gemma will change the title.

Thank you federlance for contacting a moderator.

Sincere thanks to all for the changing of the term 'jap' to japanese.

Many thanks to the moderators. This is the right stance towards equality and basic human rights. A truly a great moment of change.

Now, let's get back to some good clean fun: comics.

Excelsior!

Well my boycott is now over, so I'll start participating....

This one was posted in another thread a few hours ago, prior to the end of my boycott :)

RedDragonv17OkajimaCopy.jpg

Action58001.jpg

Action63.jpg

ExcitingComics35.jpg

Exciting30.jpg

FightingYank13.jpg

Edited by comichut

Many thanks to the moderators. This is the right stance towards equality and basic human rights. A truly a great moment of change.

Excelsior!

Congrats to both CGC mods and you - CGC mods for taking action on a reasonable request and you for taking a reasoned approach to making this change.

Don't think anyone meant any harm - comics of the early 40s used the term as often as possible, but it's no longer an appropriate term.

Back to the show (don't think I've posted this one here before) - and it doesn't even use the derogatory term on the cover!

USMarines2.jpg

One of the things that has always fascinated me was the difference in the way our enemies were depicted in comics. For the most part, the Germans are drawn with a fairly normal, albeit menacing appearances. While they may be comitting atrocities like poisoning candy to give to war oprhans on Exciting #39 or mustering the forces of the occult like the ghouls on Mystic #7, they appear to be normal humans.

exciting39a.jpg

The Japanese, on the other hand, are often depicted with marked racial stereotypes. The eyes, bucked teeth (and even sometimes fangs), huge ears, and yellow skin are all common on comic covers.

supermagician15a.jpg

I think it was in one of Stephen Ambrose's books on the war that he talked about the fact that there was a deep seated racial hatred towards the Japanese that didn't exist to the same extent with the Germans. He felt this was in part due to the fact that many Americans at the time were of European descent and might easily be fighting against a long lost relative. He also thought it might explain the Japanese-Americans internment camps that were utilized by the U.S. Similar camps were not set up for German-Americans.

Now that I've wasted everyone's time with my ramblings, here's some scans:

fightingyank12a.jpg

action63.jpg

captainamerica31.jpg

Great post.

Excelsior!

i request that the mods delete any references to australians as "aussies." that shortening of their ethnic name is a slur, even if they're too thick-skulled to realize it. i say it's time for yet another great moment of change.

Well my boycott is now over, so I'll start participating....

Action58001.jpg

I pray that the mods can change this cover to read "Slap a Japanese"? :wishluck:

Jap

For other uses, see JAP (disambiguation).

Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[1] In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[2]

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

Aussie

This article is about the slang word for an Australian. For the Australian dollar also known as the "Aussie", see Australian dollar. For other uses, see Aussie (disambiguation).

Your racist attitude is compelling. Don' t try to hide it behind humour.