• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

axgo5f.jpg

My Tick Books From Left To Right: 1). The Tick: the Complete Edlund NEW EDITION! Paperback - January 1, 2011: NEW ENGLAND COMICS (W/A) Ben Edlund (W) Benito Cereno (A) Les McClaine New Edition! New Story! Now includes an awesome brand-new 8-page story from current Tick All-Star creators Benito Cereno & Les McClaine! An all-new untold story which answers previously never-answered questions about mysterious events which befell The Tick in the original Edlund storyline! The Tick: The Complete Edlund New Edition collects all 12 issues of the classic Tick series written and drawn by creator Ben Edlund, along with commentary from Edlund, the first Tick story (originally published in the NEC Newsletter), rarely seen back-up stories, pin-ups, and a bonus Pseudo Tick #13 which provides a possible conclusion to Edlund's original storyline. 424 pages $35.99 2). The Tick Mighty Blue Justice! Paperback - May 1, 1997: He's blue! He fights crime! He's a cartoon! Now in his third successful season on Fox Kids Network and Comedy Central, the big blue crimefighter has boldly leapt his way into the collective consciousness of fans across America. This first "biography" of the well-meaning superhero lets fans in on what makes the Tick, well, tick. I love The Tick. The Tick is keen, which is why this book is so neccesary for anyone who fancies themselves a fan of The Tick.

Starting out as a comic book (which it still is) The Tick was then turned into a television show on the famed Fox kids network. Unfortunately, the genius behind the Tick was apparantly big on procrastination, never having episodes ready on time. This prompted the cancallation of the program, but I'll always still love it. Even 5 years later, it remains one of my favourite shows of all time. There was so much humour that I never got when I was little. But now, I pick up on the jokes that I never understood when I was a child of the tender age of 9.

Anyways, this book collects the plot of 34 of the 36 shows released before it's cancellation, a guide to becoming a superhero, info on finding a sidekick, the Tick's origin, interviews, and even "Arthurs Section Of Scientific Facts So That This Book Can Legitimately Be Read In School." There is a guide to other superheroes, supervilians (including the Man Eating Cow who just so happens to look like and act like a normal cow), and the list of questions and answers that were often read and replied to at the end of the shows.

This book left me in stitches laughing the first time I read it, and even now it remains one of the funniest books I've ever read. It's not conventional humor, but it remains oh so funny. If you like The Tick and wondered why it was taken off the air, and if you can't get enough of anything Tick, then you need to get this book. This is probably the only book I can read that remains as funny the third and fourth time through as it is the first time... Midnight Bomber Sez: So he says, "You wanna' be a bad guy?" and I says, I says "Yeah baby! Surf's up Space Ponies! I'm making gravy without the lumps! AAAHHHHHAAHHHH!" 3). The Tick Funhouse A World of Pain(T) Paperback - July 1,1997: The Tick and Arthur get slimed by the Green Gob in the lead story, while Life with Louie and Bobby's World appear in their own back-up features. 4). The Tick: Six Action-packed Adventures Paperback book September 1, 1994: A seven-foot-tall, four-hundred-pound escaped mental patient-turned-superhero begins a zany adventure against the forces of evil--or so he thinks--as he crashes around the city, defeating the bad guys in unexpected ways. TV tie-in. Tick finds his destiny --

Tick vs. the Breadmaster --

Tick vs. Chairface Chippendale --

Tick vs. Dinosaur Neil --

tick vs. El Seed --

Tick vs. Mr. Mental.

As a side note, my wife and I went yard selling this weekend and we bought an original piece of comic book artwork for $5.00 and we absolutely love it! Amazing what you can find out there while getting a little bit of exercise!

It wasn't Tick related but I got a kick out of it anyways. It's a framed panel of six cartoons that seem to be sequential from 1 thru 5. It's sealed in the back and the backing paper seems to be pretty old, maybe from 1960-1970? I'm still doing my research on it for conversation sake. The bottom line is, I think it's a really cool piece measuring about 23" x 26" framed. Back in the days, they used to throw away their original out-takes and remnants. This one looks like the artwork found in old magazines like The New Yorker. I'm trying to if this piece has ever been published. The frame although intact, is chipped around the edges, nothing that a black sharpie can't fix. But I don't think it's a good idea to replace the frame though, it has that brown paper backing, cracked and aging that just gives it all the more appeal. I'll write more about it as I discover anything else about it. On a side note, coming this February is the Modernist appreciation week in Palm Springs, California. I wish I could make it but I don't think we'll have the funds to swing it this time.

It sounds like a great find at an even better price! Happen to have a pic?

The Palm Springs event sounds interesting. You could always part with a few books to fund the purchase. I'm sure you could find a buyer for that NEC Newsletter. :whistle:

Too funny! Well, here's another acquisition while I ponder on that....okay...pondered enough...NOOOOOOOO PS!!!! SPOOOOOOOON spelled backwards!

eqz1ht.jpg

2w2rnz8.jpg

THE TICK - PRINT - THE WRATH OF GODS LIMITED PRINT. JUST LIKE PROMETHEUS, EVEN THE TICK MUST FACE THE RIGHTEOUS WRATH OF THE GODS NOW AND AGAIN. THIS FANTASTIC HOMAGE TO THE CLASSIC GREEK STORY WAS JUST RECENTLY UNEARTHED IN NEC WAREHOUSE. DRAWN AND INKED BY NON OTHER THEN TICK CREATOR BEN EDLUND, THIS PRINT WAS A GIVE AWAY AT THE DIAMOND COMICS SEMINAR WAY BACK IN 1993. SOME OF YOU MAY ALSO NOTICE THAT THIS IMAGE WAS USED TO CREATE THE BACKDROP FOR THE INFAMOUS TICK: PUNCH ME OUT WALL CLOCK CRAFTED YEARS AGO.

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!!

Patrick Warburton Reveals ‘The Tick’ Reboot Is Happening Soon

"We're doing it," revealed Warburton to HNGN while promoting his new NBC series "Crowded" at the Television Critics Press Tour in Pasadena, Calif.

"We just got Ben Edlund's latest draft, it's probably his tenth draft, they have been beating him up," he continued. "I think it's brilliant. It's ready to go, and I got a carve-out from NBC as 'The Tick' had already been in development."

Warburton was not at liberty to divulge much more than a pilot had been greenlit, but did reveal the new "Tick" would be darker in tone compared to the original series.

"It's going to be a new, somewhat darker incarnation of 'The Tick,'" he said. "I really can't expose too much, but the Tick is still the Tick, and he still has his essence and is just as beautiful and insane as he was."

"It was the most fun I've ever had in my whole life," he admitted. "We did nine episodes and got no support from Fox at the time. They just decided it was too expensive and didn't care that every critic from New York to L.A. loved the show. They were going to kill it because of reality shows."

:wishluck:

"We're doing it," revealed Warburton to HNGN while promoting his new NBC series "Crowded" at the Television Critics Press Tour in Pasadena, Calif.

"We just got Ben Edlund's latest draft, it's probably his tenth draft, they have been beating him up," he continued. "I think it's brilliant. It's ready to go, and I got a carve-out from NBC as 'The Tick' had already been in development."

Warburton was not at liberty to divulge much more than a pilot had been greenlit, but did reveal the new "Tick" would be darker in tone compared to the original series.

"It's going to be a new, somewhat darker incarnation of 'The Tick,'" he said. "I really can't expose too much, but the Tick is still the Tick, and he still has his essence and is just as beautiful and insane as he was."

"It was the most fun I've ever had in my whole life," he admitted. "We did nine episodes and got no support from Fox at the time. They just decided it was too expensive and didn't care that every critic from New York to L.A. loved the show. They were going to kill it because of reality shows."

Thanks for the update!! :wishluck: x1K

I just read this the following article about The Tick Movie as well...released 6 days ago. http://brioux.tv/2016/01/what-matters-most-warburton-on-amazons-re-boot-of-the-tick/

I just read this the following article about The Tick Movie as well...released 6 days ago. http://brioux.tv/2016/01/what-matters-most-warburton-on-amazons-re-boot-of-the-tick/

From the article: "So when will it air? He couldn’t say, but when the pilot does air, it will be up to fans to vote for Amazon to take it to a full series order."

Is this the norm for Amazon?

I have Amazon Prime and have never noticed a voting option or received a email about voting for other shows. Either way I'll be ready to vote! I'm really intrigued by a possible darker tone even though I felt the original series was spot on.

2w2rnz8.jpg

THE TICK - PRINT - THE WRATH OF GODS LIMITED PRINT. JUST LIKE PROMETHEUS, EVEN THE TICK MUST FACE THE RIGHTEOUS WRATH OF THE GODS NOW AND AGAIN. THIS FANTASTIC HOMAGE TO THE CLASSIC GREEK STORY WAS JUST RECENTLY UNEARTHED IN NEC WAREHOUSE. DRAWN AND INKED BY NON OTHER THEN TICK CREATOR BEN EDLUND, THIS PRINT WAS A GIVE AWAY AT THE DIAMOND COMICS SEMINAR WAY BACK IN 1993. SOME OF YOU MAY ALSO NOTICE THAT THIS IMAGE WAS USED TO CREATE THE BACKDROP FOR THE INFAMOUS TICK: PUNCH ME OUT WALL CLOCK CRAFTED YEARS AGO.

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!!

Can't remember if I still have this. I got mine at the Diamond Con in '93 and Edlund signed it and a Tick #7 for me. So many creators there.