• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

THE TICK INDEPENDENT COMIC BOOK SAMPLER NO. 2

24wy3c2.jpg

1988 THE INDEPENDENT COMIC BOOK SAMPLER AUTOGRAPHED BY KEVIN EASTMAN AND BEN EDLUND GRADED 9.0 SIGNATURE SERIES. 1988 THE INDEPENDENT COMIC BOOK SAMPLER AUTOGRAPHED BY KEVIN EASTMAN GRADED 9.2 SIGNATURE SERIES. INTRODUCING WITH A SMALL COMIC FROM BEN EDLUND OF THE TICK (INDENDENT COMIC BOOK SERIES LAUNCHED IN 1988).. BACK COVER WAS DONE BY PAUL CHADWICK OF HIS COMIC BOOK CHARACTER "CONCRETE". TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES COVER BY KEVIN EASTMAN AND PETER LAIRD (SELF PUBLISHED BY IN MAY 1984). PRINT RUN 4,000 COPIES. INCLUDED ILLUSTRATIONS, COMIC STRIP SAMPLES, INFORMATION, AND CREATOR BIOS FROM 32 CREATORS IN THE INDEPENDENT COMIC BOOK FIELD. 4-1/4" X 5-1/2". 52 PAGES OF BLACK AND WHITE. COVER PRICE $1.50. PUBLISHER/EDITOR GEOFF MILLER, TERRY PAVLET (LOGOIST), PRINTED BY ORIGINAL SMITH PRINTING. THERE IS A GREEN AND WHITE VERSION OF THIS MAGAZINE THAT SPOTLIGHTED CREATORS OF INDEPENDENT COMICS WITH A HALF-PAGE BIO AND ONE OR TWO PAGES OF ART FOR EACH CARTOONIST (MANY DRAWN ESPECIALLY FOR THIS SERIES); ONLY 50 COPIES OF THE GREEN ONES WERE MADE SO I WOULD SAY IT IS VERY RARE! INDEPENDENTLY-PUBLISHED COMIC BOOKS VARY WIDELY IN CONTENT AND QUALITY. HUNDREDS ARE PUBLISHED EVERY MONTH AND SOLD ON A NON-RETURNABLE BASIS TO COMIC BOOK SHOPS THROUGH THE DIRECT MARKET. AS OPPOSED TO MAINSTREAM COMICS, THE CREATORS THEMSELVES ACTUALLY OWN THE RIGHTS TO THEIR CREATIONS. NONE HAVE TO WORK WITHIN ANY SET RESTRAINTS. THIS ALLOWS THEM TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES TO THEIR FULLEST POTENTIAL. MOST OF THEM EVEN PUBLISH THEIR OWN MATERIAL. IT WOULD BE PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SAMPLE THEM ALL. THE OBJECTIVE OF THIS PUBLICATION IS TO INTRODUCE OR RE-FAMILIARIZE YOU WITH WITH MANY OF THE CREATORS WHO CURRENTLY WORK IN THIS DIVERSE FIELD. ALL OF THEM CONTRIBUTED ONE OR TWO PAGES SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS EDITION. HOPEFULLY, THESE SHORT PIECES WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT EACH OF THEM AND THEIR WORKS. THIS COMPILATION DOES NOT EVEN COME CLOSE TO INCLUDING EVERY PUBLISHER OR CREATOR, BUT IT DOES GIVE A GOOD OVERVIEW OF THE FIELD. MANY MORE INDEPENDENT PUBLICATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT COMIC SHOPS AND CONVENTIONS, FLEA MARKETS, AND ANTIQUE SHOWS. IF YOU ARE ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH MANY OF THE CREATORS INVOLVED WITH THIS PROJECT (THIS SERIES IS NOT SOLD ON A LARGE SCALE OUTSIDE OF THE DIRECT MARKET), YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO GIVE THIS COPY TO A NON-COMICS READING FRIEND WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED WITH IT, OR EVEN BUY A SEPARATE COPY FOR HIM. MANY INDEPENDENT COMIC BOOKS SHOULD INTEREST THOSE WHO FEEL THEY'VE "OUTGROWN" MAINSTREAM COMICS OR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED THEM AT ALL. IT WOULD BE AN IDEAL WAY IN WHICH TO INTRODUCE A NEWCOMER TO THIS EXCELLENT DIVERSION FROM EVERYDAY LIFE. ALL TITLES, CHARACTERS, AND LOGOS ARE COPYRIGHT 1988 BY THE RESPECTIVE CREATORS AND ALL RIGHTS REVERT TO THEM UPON PUBLICATION.

Just got this one back from CGC. This one kinda means a lot to me. It was autographed by Ben Edlund back in 1988. This was number 19 of 5000. I'm pretty sure this would have gotten a 9.8 if I had a CGC witness back in 1988.

sy4e38.jpg

xckqs6.jpg

2d6lbbq.jpg

IT'S A TICK GIVEAWAY! A Genuine Autographed By Ben Edlund SDCC (San Diego Comic Con Exclusive) Comic Book! Rare No Serial No. Variant, Plus a Bonus Mini Tick PVC Action Figure on Card.

2556wpk.jpg

RULES: Pick a number between 1 to 100. Open to ANYONE who appreciates The Tick. Just Quick Quote and write any number that pops in your head and the person who guesses closest to a pre-determined number will receive the item as described above to be delivered post free to wherever you wish. Good luck Tick fans and Spoooooonnnnn!!!!

WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON FEBRUARY 1, 2017.

And the WINNER OF THIS MONTHS TICK GIVEAWAY with the number coming closest to 46 is......CONGRATULATIONS to Badger who's winning number was 49! Please IM me with the address you would like for me to send your Autographed The Tick Comic Book Magazine, PLUS A Bonus Mini PVC Tick Action Figurine MOC.

IT'S A TICK GIVEAWAY! A Genuine Autographed By Ben Edlund SDCC (San Diego Comic Con Exclusive) Comic Book! Rare No Serial No. Variant, Plus a Bonus Mini Tick PVC Action Figure on Card.

2556wpk.jpg

RULES: Pick a number between 1 to 100. Open to ANYONE who appreciates The Tick. Just Quick Quote and write any number that pops in your head and the person who guesses closest to a pre-determined number will receive the item as described above to be delivered post free to wherever you wish. Good luck Tick fans and Spoooooonnnnn!!!!

WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON FEBRUARY 1, 2017.

And the WINNER OF THIS MONTHS TICK GIVEAWAY with the number coming closest to 46 is......CONGRATULATIONS to Badger who's winning number was 49! Please IM me with the address you would like for me to send your Autographed The Tick Comic Book Magazine, PLUS A Bonus Mini PVC Tick Action Figurine MOC.

:applause:

Congrats Badger!

This is what my Barry Hubris is looking like so far. Created by Randy Patty of FunStuffCustoms

2czssyc.jpg

Randy's currently working on Barry's Crushing Shield, I can't wait to see it all together!

That is really well done! :applause:

THE TICK BOOK THE COMPLETE EDLUND 3rd Edition 2015

5a46ms.jpg

NEW ENGLAND COMICS (W/A) Ben Edlund (W) Benito Cereno (A) Les McClaine New Edition! All new 3rd edition! New Story! Now includes an awesome brand-new 8-page story from current Tick All-Star creators Benito Cereno & Les McClaine! An all-new untold story which answers previously never-answered questions about mysterious events which befell The Tick in the original Edlund storyline! The Tick: The Complete Edlund New Edition collects all 12 issues of the classic Tick series written and drawn by creator Ben Edlund, along with commentary from Edlund, the first Tick story (originally published in the NEC Newsletter), rarely seen back-up stories, pin-ups, and a bonus Pseudo Tick #13 which provides a possible conclusion to Edlund's original storyline. 424 pages

This is what my Barry Hubris is looking like so far. Created by Randy Patty of FunStuffCustoms

2czssyc.jpg

Randy's currently working on Barry's Crushing Shield, I can't wait to see it all together!

That is really well done! :applause:

I went back and forth with the artist regarding that black patch or shadow that appears on Barry Hubris now and again, but I defer to Randy who's convinced me that it was really just foreshadowing that appears on Barry and not a large tick shaped colored cowling! This is gonna rock!