• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

I was just digging through the garage and ran across these Tick rarities.  They are the paper bags in which the Tick toys came in from Taco Bell and Carl's Jr. back in the '90's.   If anyone needs these for their collection, feel free to drop me a line... happy to work something out.  I sold all my Tick toys a few years ago. 

Tick_Carl_Bag2.jpg

Tick_Carl_Bag1.jpg

Tick_Taco_Bell_Bag1.jpg

Tick_Taco_Bell_Bag2.jpg

Spoiler

SPOILER ALERT:  IF YOU ATTENDING THIS YEAR'S SAN DIEGO COMIC CON 2017 AND ARE PARTICIPATING IN THE TICK TAKE OVER EXPERIENCE, THIS WILL SHOW SOME OF THE LOCATIONS OF THE SCAVENGER HUNT...SO THAT BEING SAID...

The Tick Take Over on 1st and J Street.

1).  Arthur's Apartment:

a.  Puck is located next to the ink jet printer on top of Arthur's desk.

b.  Puck is located in the Top Drawer of the dresser with a Question Tablet.

c.  Puck is located on Top of the Black Metal File Cabinet in between the books.

4 more pucks are in Arthur's Apartment, it's up to you to find out where they are!

2).  Warehouse:

a.  Puck is located in the Left door of the tall lockers with a questionaire tablet.

b.  Puck is located in the blue cabinet under the Red Painted Pyramid, bottom shelf with Questionaire tablet.

c.  Puck is located on Top of the Oil barrel under the Caution Do Not Enter Sign with headphones.

d.  Puck is located on the Blue Gas Can with a questionaire tablet.

3 more pucks are in the Warehouse and it's up to you to find out where they are!

HERE'S ANOTHER HINT:

THE TICK SWAG, with Tick Hat and Bag and other goodies are located at the Amazon Prime Lounge where you have to find 4 digital badges to receive them.  Good Luck Tick Fans on CGC and by all means.....Spoooooooooooooonnnnnnn!!!!

MAP OF STUFF.jpg

1) If anyone is new to collecting Tick comics I have just completed a site that has all (or most?) of the Tick comics ever released and all the variant covers as well.  I do not sell comics so this is not an attempt to make money... I'm just sharing my love for our big blue hero:

http://tickcomics.com

2) I am also seeking an ashcan edition of issue #1 (1988) and the ashcan edition of the yule log special (2000).  If anyone is has one (or both) and is willing to part with it me please send me a message with your asking price.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the site.

-Brian

Thanks.  I am happy to add anything not listed.  I was trying to focus on just the comics... but then added a few newsletters... and just received a request from George (editor of the Tick) to add the trade paper backs (which I don't collect), but I'd like to make New England Comics as happy with the site as I can.  :-)

Any of the thumbnails that are missing larger images mean I don't currently own them.  (so the site kind of allows me to keep track of what I still need to find).  I'm down to needing less than a dozen variants or ashcan editions.

If you want to send anything to me I'll add your name to the larger image as the person that submitted the image.  A "group" project should be more successful than a solo project.

My personal email is listed on the homepage of the site.  Thanks for your help.  This has been a fun project.

Hi vsndesigns, I am new to this so I'm not exactly sure how this all works.  What does the registry do for me?  The tickcomics website is kind of my online catalog of what I have/need.  (although it doesn't show CGC comics, comic book pages, or other personal Tick items - such as sketch covers and stuff)

The Registry really doesn't do anything for us, and quite frankly, if you we're on there you would kick all of our butts.  :).  You're collection is massive!  I think I rank number 3 or something like that but I pale in comparison with your collection and you would probably drive mine down...booo...hehehe.  I think the Registry kind of helps a little if you were a speculator and wanted to have someone like Heritage Auctions or Sotheby's represent you and listing you as the World's Foremost Tick Collector or something like that.  IntoAnother reigned supreme for awhile but I think Mr. 9.8 or someone else has since taken the crown for now.  

I grew up in Quincy, MA and in 1988 (when I was 21) I was the manager of a toy store just down the block from a New England Comics.  So I've been collecting them since they first came out but I was more of a casual collector - I just wanted one of each issue and didn't care variant covers.  I didn't realize there were so many variant covers, or printings and now I am trying to play catch up.  I'm down to needing less than a dozen but it seems it seems they're becoming more and more scarce.  I've even noticed a drastic price hike on the higher graded comics since the Tick hit Amazon with the new show.

I grew up in Montebello, CA which is north of Cerritos and City of Industy, CA where they made all the Tick Bandai Toys and Pogs, where my friends worked at before everything got shipped overseas.  I had, believe it or not, some factory rejects back in the days, but with all the moves, lost em.  I still don't have all the POG slammers but a Buddy of mine over in the UK says he can't think of anyone else who has as many...but then again...did you collect POGS?  In 88, I was a little older at 25...but the only thing that separates men and boys...  btw, I dig on your website.  I mentioned it on twitter and wherever I can.  Heck, I didn't even know that Shi / Cyberblade had The Tick in it...gonna havta get it.  Do you like Chainsaw?  https://flic.kr/p/NaVWtV.  Well, gotta jet...gonna go check out Game of Thrones.  Vic out.

Edited by vsndesigns

I do like the Chainsaw Vigilante but I didn't know there were variant covers when it came out so I only have the silver one.  Would be neat to have the other 3 but at an approximate release of 50 each that probably won't ever happen.

And I also did have a bunch of the pogs.  I used to be a manager of a toy store back in the late 80's early 90's so I could "sort" the toys or action figures out before putting them on the store shelf... or hide them for a purchase at the end of the day when I was off shift. :-)

That's pretty cool.  When I talked to Bob Polio at the SDCC, he asked me if I had the variants of Chainsaw, and I told him I did...along with the variants of Kirkman's Invincible.  Must have been pretty cool managing a store like that.  Did you ever read Ready Player One?  It's a good read and revolves a bit around a store like that.  I didn't know about the ashcan versions of the 2017 until I saw your website.  I wrote John a quick email to see if he could shoot me off a copy if he can find one.  

Hey Vic,

I found my stash of POGS.  I have a complete set of the POGS and some extras (if you need any let me know).  I do not have a complete set of the slammers - but I do have some duplicates of what I have - maybe I can help you fill in a few holes in your collection.  Let me know what you need and I'll check my pile. (the "collection" is in pages, the extras are all just thrown in a bag together)

On 10/2/2017 at 6:07 PM, Brian Bollinger said:

Hey Vic,

I found my stash of POGS.  I have a complete set of the POGS and some extras (if you need any let me know).  I do not have a complete set of the slammers - but I do have some duplicates of what I have - maybe I can help you fill in a few holes in your collection.  Let me know what you need and I'll check my pile. (the "collection" is in pages, the extras are all just thrown in a bag together)

SWEEEET!!!...These are the POG Slammers that I am looking for:

1.  ANY OF THE AVOCADO GREEN EXCEPT AMERICAN MAID.
2.  DARK NAVY AMERICAN MAID, BLUE SPOON, HUMAN BULLET.
3.  LIGHTER METALLIC BLUE CRUSADING CHAMELEON, DEAN, KEEN.
4.  PURPLE SPIRAL HOLOGRAPH SEWER URCHIN, ARTHUR, AMERICAN MAID, SPOON.
5.  YELLOW GOLD (NOT COPPER BRONZE), HUMAN BULLET, CHAMELEON, DEAN, KEEN.
ANY COLOR:  CROUCHING TICK, DIE FLEDERMAUS, EL SEED, DINOSAUR NEIL 

You can see a photo of them on my flickr page.  

THE TICK POG COLLECTION The Tick Kinis or Slammers   1995

Vic - Um... you have WAY WAY WAY more slammers than me.  And I checked out your flicker... more tick toys than me, too.  Because of the "sparkle" it's a little hard to tell what you have so here are my extras (sorry the list is small)

Copper - Tick (keen)

Blue - Tick (keen), and Human Bullet

Green - Tick (keen), Human Bullet, Dean, and Crusading Chameleon

I guess back then I didn't have the $4/pack to try and collect all the slammers.  I think you said you have all these but if you need any let me know and I'll send them to you.

Edited by Brian Bollinger
correction in description of item