• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Brian Bollinger said:

I don't have any cover art yet.  That looks like issue #1 page #1 but that doesn't look like Ben Edlund's signature at the bottom.

Correct!  This isn't an original Ben Edlund sketch.  It is however, an original Mychailo Kazybrid (Penciller) sketch!  

11 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

So... I purchased this "original" Tick art off eBay a while ago.  It just arrived.  It's not on art board, it's on paper that is thin like copy paper... but it does look like it was used as the pencil and inking paper.  (you can see the indents on the pack of the paper where the pencil had been pushed against the paper).  As I don't have any other artwork like this I am wondering if it is real or a copy?  I didn't pay much for it so I'm not worried if it's a copy.  I'm just not sure how to label it for my collection.  Any advice?

5a30255107c7f_TicArt.thumb.jpg.c7ba701c719959aa4aff59197a3c28a9.jpg

I used to have page 21 of the same issue. Also on regular paper.

10 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

My turn for a quiz... It shouldn't be too hard but do you know what this is?

Art 1b.jpg

Man, this looks so familiar!  I can't quite place it yet...any vague hints?  Did you photoshop any elements out of this pic? I hope my eidetic memory doesn't fail me now...

4 hours ago, vsndesigns said:

Man, this looks so familiar!  I can't quite place it yet...any vague hints?  Did you photoshop any elements out of this pic? I hope my eidetic memory doesn't fail me now...

I did not photoshop anything out.  But it is an overlay to make a modified version of the original piece of artwork.

Days of Drama #6.  The original cover is it's own piece of artwork.  The variant "naughty" cover is just an overlay.  I just noticed... it looks like they forgot to retrace the eyes on the blonde to the right of Tick.  This artwork arrived yesterday.  It's my first Tick cover art.

Days of Drama 6 variants.jpg

Edited by Brian Bollinger

18 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

Days of Drama #6.  The original cover is it's own piece of artwork.  The variant "naughty" cover is just an overlay.  I just noticed... it looks like they forgot to retrace the eyes on the blonde to the right of Tick.  This artwork arrived yesterday.  It's my first Tick cover art.

Days of Drama 6 variants.jpg

There you go!  I kept focusing on the hands on the breasts thing and totally forgot about the "Naugty" issues!  doh!  Btw, congrats on your acquisition!  Now if you can only land one of the original 12 issue covers!  I think Ben keeps those in his vault, except for the Special Edition Number 2 Cross word puzzle one?

15 hours ago, vsndesigns said:

There you go!  I kept focusing on the hands on the breasts thing and totally forgot about the "Naugty" issues!  doh!  Btw, congrats on your acquisition!  Now if you can only land one of the original 12 issue covers!  I think Ben keeps those in his vault, except for the Special Edition Number 2 Cross word puzzle one?

I think my wife is about to slow down my tick purchases.  It's okay - she was pretty generous with what I was allowed to purchase over the summer.  It would be an interesting "conversation" if an original Edlund cover were to show up for sale.   I would have to sell some model trains for sure. ;-)

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, Brian Bollinger said:

I think my wife is about to slow down my tick purchases.  It's okay - she was pretty generous with what I was allowed to purchase over the summer.  It would be an interesting "conversation" if an original Edlund cover were to show up for sale.   I would have to sell some model trains for sure. ;-)

Yes, as far as I know the front cover to the Tick Special Edition #2 and this... the Back cover are the only Edlund covers that are out there.  I rarely pull this one out for people to see so enjoy!  The very first appearance of Paul the Samurai and a guy named the Tick... all in full color to boot!

Tick_Special_Edition2_Back_Cover.jpg

17 hours ago, vsndesigns said:

Now that IS impressive!  Ive got a space tick that Ben drew around the same time...hold on while I try to dig it up

Here's one of my most prized possessions!  Purchased from my good friend Comiconxion,  who I consider the one of the foremost collector's of Original Tick Art!  Right on Chuck!

30772820905_2ec2dc099a_o.jpg

Edited by vsndesigns

Funny... I just got this in the mail.  I ordered it a while ago.  I'm trying to add the TPB to my Tick site.  The cover for the Paul Bonanza is the image you just shared - only flipped horizontally.  I think it funny because they didn't even fix Ben's signature so it's backwards.  Or maybe this version of the cover was drawn by some guy named 88DNULDE.

Paul_Bonanza.jpg

14 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

Funny... I just got this in the mail.  I ordered it a while ago.  I'm trying to add the TPB to my Tick site.  The cover for the Paul Bonanza is the image you just shared - only flipped horizontally.  I think it funny because they didn't even fix Ben's signature so it's backwards.  Or maybe this version of the cover was drawn by some guy named 88DNULDE.

Paul_Bonanza.jpg

That is funny.  Didn't know it had also been used as a front cover.  But, how much effort is it to flip the signature?  

On 12/28/2017 at 5:16 PM, comiconxion said:

Yes, as far as I know the front cover to the Tick Special Edition #2 and this... the Back cover are the only Edlund covers that are out there.  I rarely pull this one out for people to see so enjoy!  The very first appearance of Paul the Samurai and a guy named the Tick... all in full color to boot!

Tick_Special_Edition2_Back_Cover.jpg

I'm just noticing this now but am I correct that the yellow is not colored is but that the paper is cut away to show a yellow piece of paper that has been glued to the back?