• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

I'm just noticing this now but am I correct that the yellow is not colored is but that the paper is cut away to show a yellow piece of paper that has been glued to the back?

Yes, it was colored art paper that was used to give a pure color to the yellow.  I learn to use those as an art student as well.  Guess Ben went to similar art classes.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:41 AM, manetteska said:

I believe that's Powdered Toast Man from Ren & Stimpy.

I just looked up the Powdered Toast Man from Ren and Stimpy, you're right, it sure looks like him!  giphy.gif

Edited by vsndesigns

On 1/10/2018 at 8:12 AM, vsndesigns said:

I just looked up the Powdered Toast Man from Ren and Stimpy, you're right, it sure looks like him!  giphy.gif

Like? I'd arrest him pending DNA samples . . . lol

2 hours ago, divad said:

Like? I'd arrest him pending DNA samples . . . lol

Ha!  The only thing thats missing are the other 2 initials on his shorts!  I really should ask the artist Andy Gray if thats who he is.  Is Andy Gray a really famous artist?

I just received the last comic I needed to complete my collection of Ben Edlund original comics:  Tick No. 2, 8th printing!  Now I have a complete set of all issues and all printings (including ashcans) from the original 1988 Ben Edlund series.  Still hunting down some of the Comic Con issues I missed from 2007, 2014 and 2015.  (anyone have any for sale or trade? - the issues I need are one the home page of tickcomics.com)

On another note I just discovered the "Do you Pooh?" covers.  They crack me up.  I sit and look at them online and laugh out loud while my wife (who likes Winnie the Pooh) looks at them and says, "Those are stupid.  I don't get why you think they're so funny".  But then she doesn't get most of the jokes or spoofs so I guess I can see why it might not be as funny to her.  But a deadpool pooh or venom tigger - that makes me laugh.  I'm not going to collect them or anything.  It's enough to collect the tick.  Bit I'll be keeping my eye out for those at comic cons now.

Edited by Brian Bollinger

10 hours ago, Brian Bollinger said:

I just received the last comic I needed to complete my collection of Ben Edlund original comics:  Tick No. 2, 8th printing!  Now I have a complete set of all issues and all printings (including ashcans) from the original 1988 Ben Edlund series.  Still hunting down some of the Comic Con issues I missed form 2007, 2014 and 2015.  (anyone have any for sale or trade? - the issues I need are one the home page of tickcomics.com)

On another note I just discovered the "Do you Pooh?" covers.  They crack me up.  I sit and look at them online and laugh out loud while my wife (who likes Winnie the Pooh) looks at them and says, "Those are stupid.  I don't get why you think they're so funny".  But then she doesn't get most of the jokes or spoofs so I guess I can see why it might not be as funny to her.  But a deadpool pooh or venom tigger - that makes me laugh.  I'm not going to collect them or anything.  It's enough to collect the tick.  Bit I'll be keeping my eye out for those at comic cons now.

I really have to update my inventory of my collection...but as you can see from what I did have the last time I did my inventory, awhile back ago, that everything in solid black is what I do have and the ones that are blank are ones I still need...which leaves A LOT!  Yikes!

-THE TICK COMIC BOOK COLLECTION (1-17-2018)-1.jpg

-THE TICK COMIC BOOK COLLECTION (1-17-2018)-2.jpg

-THE TICK COMIC BOOK COLLECTION (1-17-2018)-3.jpg

-THE TICK COMIC BOOK COLLECTION (1-17-2018)-4.jpg

-THE TICK COMIC BOOK COLLECTION (1-17-2018)-5.jpg

-THE TICK COMIC BOOK COLLECTION (1-17-2018)-6.jpg

1 hour ago, IntoAnother said:

Congrats on the completing the Edlund set Brian, that's awesome.

The Invincible issue I believe Vic is referring to is for issue #100 pictured below. Unless they did a #111 as well but I don't believe they did

.aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg.41020f37b092d58fb1c3f3570ad82652.jpg

I have this... but didn't know there were any variant covers for it.  Yet another mystery of Tick collecting is revealed.  Vic, do you have any pics of the variants?

14 minutes ago, Brian Bollinger said:

I have this... but didn't know there were any variant covers for it.  Yet another mystery of Tick collecting is revealed.  Vic, do you have any pics of the variants?

Oops!  Those don't belong on The Tick Collection Inventory...

20180117_173106.jpg

I'm pushing for The Tick to become nominated for a Saturn Award, who's with me?  Here is the link  http://www.saturnawards.org/Saturn-Awards-Membership.php   to become an affiliate member of the Saturn Awards.  I have no idea how it works but I think the gist of it is that we can vote or right an email to saturn.awards@ca.rr.com to make the suggestion.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this work, please let me know!

While working on updating my list of Non-NEC publication appearances of the Tick I found this.  It's from the July 1995 issue of Dream Team by Malibu Comics.  Looks like it was draw by Ben Edlund himself in 1995!  Tick in a double thumb war with Hulk and Prime.  It made me laugh quite a bit.

Thumb_War_Tick_Hulk_Prime.jpg

So, I have seen the War of the Independents - PHAZER listed on a couple different lists of comics that have a Tick reference, or image of the Tick in it somewhere.  I purchased a WOTI PHAZER but don't see Tick in it anywhere.  Am I missing something, or are there several issues?  If so, anyone know which issue has Tick?

This is the one I have:

phazer.jpg

On 2/2/2018 at 8:17 PM, Brian Bollinger said:

So, I have seen the War of the Independents - PHAZER listed on a couple different lists of comics that have a Tick reference, or image of the Tick in it somewhere.  I purchased a WOTI PHAZER but don't see Tick in it anywhere.  Am I missing something, or are there several issues?  If so, anyone know which issue has Tick?

This is the one I have:

phazer.jpg

I'll have to look into that one!  Check this out Brian, someone is selling their Chainsaw Vigilante No. 1 on ebay, looks like the chrome variant.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/273054665372?ul_noapp=true

On 2/1/2018 at 4:20 PM, Brian Bollinger said:

While working on updating my list of Non-NEC publication appearances of the Tick I found this.  It's from the July 1995 issue of Dream Team by Malibu Comics.  Looks like it was draw by Ben Edlund himself in 1995!  Tick in a double thumb war with Hulk and Prime.  It made me laugh quite a bit.

Thumb_War_Tick_Hulk_Prime.jpg

Okay...just placed an order for one Dream Team Number 1!  I just came from Barnes and Noble today, just to look for any current Magazines that might have a cool article about The Tick.like Thee Rolling Stones Magazine...