• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the best comic book story/story arc you have ever read?

226 posts in this topic

:frustrated: Hiyo!

Personally... Top five for me is: (Not in any particular order)

*Final Crisis (Entire story-arc, including mini-series and one-shots)

*Black Adam : The Dark Age (Love this mini-series story-arc to revive his wive)

*The Kingdom/ Kingdom Come/ Thy Kingdom Come (Justice Society of America)

*Countdown presents Lord Havok and the Extremist (You gotta read and you will love yourself for reading it!)

*Countdown to Mystery (Story-arc with "new" Dr. Fate and "new" Eclipso... love it, love it!)

I've previously called Daredevil: Born Again the best in-continuity super-hero story ever done. I still think that's true. Dark Knight, Watchmen, Kingdom Come are of course also great. As are Miracleman and The Ultimates vol 1 & 2.

Here are some not yet mentioned in the thread (I think ;) ):

Manhunter series from Detective #437-443

"For the Man Who Has Everything" Superman Annual #11

Englehart/Rogers run from Detective #471-476

"This Man This Monster" FF #51

Daredevil : Born Again

Warlock Saga by Starlin

Solar, Man of the Atom : Alpha / Omega

Uncanny X-Men by Claremont and Byrne

I want to answer before I'm tainted by reading all the other answers.

Watchmen came to mind first, but I think The Dark Knight edges it out. I just re-read Watchmen at the beginning of this summer and while it's still good, I think TDK holds up better even with the Reagan-era political references.

TDK still has an emotional punch that Watchmen lacks, possibly because the characters in Watchmen lack the history of Batman.

And some of the lines from TDK......

"There's nothing wrong with you I can't fix with my hands...."

"It took years and cost a fortune to synthesize, fortunately I had both..."

"I modified her after the riots, now the only thing that can come through her skin isn't even from this planet...."

Miller at his absolute peak! Although his second run on Daredevil was amazing too, I think Mazzuchelli's art really added a lot to that story.

I'm sticking with The Dark Knight, but I'm going to have to go look at my bookshelf to be sure I'm not missing any.

...Also want to add the TOMB OF DRACULA story line where Drac pizzes of Satan who then takes away his vampire powers and turns Drac into a lowly human (TOD 64-68).

This is a really fun "fish out of water" angle as Drac learns how to be human again..he puzzles over how to order a hamburger in a bar and is roughed up and man-handled by 70's dope dealers...Fun stuff!

I know that a lot of people don't like Bendis, but I think Alias is a heckuva series. Really great stuff that I find myself reading over and over again.

Same for James Robinson's Starman.

Also love Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol.

Identity Crisis - I was starting to get into comics and went to a signing with Meltzer. Read the book and loved it. This got me into the DC books and solidified my adult comic habit.

Green Lantern Rebirth

Wolverine: Enemy Of The State

Daredevil: Man Without Fear

X-men 94-143-JB/CC

Daredevil 158-200 FM

Captain America/Daredevil (Brubaker issues)

Y: The Last Man 1-60

Walking Dead 1-current

Batman: Dark Knight Returns-FM

All Pre-Unity Valiant

Batman: Death in the Family

Of course any thing from Marvel's SA with Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

I'm not trying to pick or make fun, in fact of the ones I've read on your list, I agree that they're shining examples. Except for one, Batman: A Death in the Family, really? I loved it at the time, but I was caught up in the hype. Re-reading it now, I feel let down.

No insult meant, I'm hoping you can sell me on it!

I know that a lot of people don't like Bendis, but I think Alias is a heckuva series. Really great stuff that I find myself reading over and over again.

Same for James Robinson's Starman.

Also love Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol.

That's why I didn't want to read other responses first! I forgot these two! I remember waiting for the latest issues of each, they were mind-blowing stuff.....

:cloud9: