• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the best comic book story/story arc you have ever read?

226 posts in this topic

I know that a lot of people don't like Bendis, but I think Alias is a heckuva series. Really great stuff that I find myself reading over and over again.

Same for James Robinson's Starman.

Also love Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol.

Morrison's Animal Man run was really, really good. That run contained stories that could churn your emotions. I loved Starman too.....and have almost the entire series. Robinson and Harris were gods on that series. I especially like the JSA story that was in issue 12 I believe. Chill bump inducing stuff.

Correction: The JSA story was in issue 11

Modern:

Miracleman: Olympus

Planetary

Sandman: #13, Seasons of Mist & A Game of You

Batman: DKR, Long Halloween

Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits

Moore's Swamp Thing Run

Old Stuff:

FF 57-60, 72-77

ASM 39-40

Lots of goodies in this thread. Many I agree with, but want to add a few more:

1 - Doctor Strange 56-62 (origin retold and Dracula stuff)

2 - Mage: The Hero Discovered 1-15 (including Grendel backups)

3 - Nexus 5-8 (Bowl Shaped World) "I want a taco"

4 - X-Men/Alpha Flight 1-2 ; New Mutants Special Edition 1 ; X-Men Annual 9 (these came out as I was getting into comics, loved em!)

what i love about threads like these is it points a comic reader in the direction of great books to acquire.

My top list:

Batman: Year one

Batman: The long halloween

Daredevil 160-191

Daredevil 227-234

Batman: The dark knight returns

Thor 337-354

Hulk v2. Planet Hulk ( THE best Hulk story ever! )

I've seen a couple people put Preacher which I am currently reading now and is fast becoming on of my all-time favorites.

I normally read mostly BA & SA comics so here's a few off the top of my head I don't think anyone has listed yet:

Bob Layton and David Michelinie's Iron Man run from 114 - 150's, especially the Demon in a bottle story line. One of my favorites.

Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen's Legion of Superheroes Run from 281 - 313, especially the Great Darkness Saga. I know this one has been listed, but it deserves another mention.

Another Legion story I love is Adventure Comics #352-353 (the Sun-Eater/Death of Ferro Lad story). Hard to believe Jim Shooter was only 13.

Master of Kung Fu - especially when Doug Moench was writing and Paul Gulacy did the art. I love this series.

Everybody loves Claremont and Bryne's X-Men run, and I do too, but I think Marv Wolfman and George Perez's New Teen Titans were just as good. Those were the two main titles I collected as a kid.

Len Wein and Berni Wrightson's Swamp Thing 1-10 was another favorite of mine and where my board name comes from Dr. Alec Holland.

Those are just a few I can think of, but my break is over, so I gotta get back to work.

The Dark Knight Returns.

Watchmen.

Emerald Twilight (GL #48-50)

The Return Of Barry Allen (Flash #74-79)

MIRACLEMAN.

The Boys.

The Crow.

Judge Dredd: America.

Judge Dredd: The Apocalypse War.

Saga of the Swamp Thing (#20-64)

And that's off the top of my head..

Some of this has been mentioned here and there in this thread, but I always considered Fantastic Four 38-50, with Annual 3 fitting snugly between issue 43 and 44, to be the first modern Graphic Novel.

Lee and Kirby at their peak, strong continuity throughout, and if you read that whole batch at a sitting it is a hugely entertaining and moving story.

FF 48-60 was mentioned above, but issue 51, This Man This Monster, also cited in this thread, makes a stand-alone bookend between the story arcs. Issues 52-60 reads durned near as well as a cohesive story too, but doesn't have Reed and Sue's wedding as a tearjerker interlude to pause and take a breath between the chunks of high adventure and cosmic hoohah.

Great thread, many of these stories are among my favorites (ASM 31-33 gets an honorable mention, as does the Kree-Skrull War, Bone, Sandman and several Preacher story arcs) and it all explains why I still read and collect comics as a geezer.