• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting things other then comics.

891 posts in this topic

No, I would have to take them and I'm feeling lazier than normal. If it weren't for getting up, I'd go to bed.
The oldest Barbed wire I have seen was in Berne, NY on a great lot property line.

No, I would have to take them and I'm feeling lazier than normal. If it weren't for getting up, I'd go to bed.
The oldest Barbed wire I have seen was in Berne, NY on a great lot property line.

It isn't really collected as much based on date as it is on style.

My collecting focus has changed all together since completing my Iron Man and Suspense run.

Comics are out(for now) and I am now buying classic arcade games from 1980 to 1983 and restoring them. I have learned alot about repairing vintage electronics and it's amazing to find authentic reproduction parts to make them look like new! Plus you get to play some great classic games in your own house! Here are some of the games I have been working on and are now in the basementcade. Got a few more works in progress in the garage.

2011164.jpg

2011163.jpg

DSCN3285.jpg

I duno if you would call it collecting but lately I've started playing magic the gathering again & am buying or winding up with a lot of cards .... I am also getting my kicked most of the time :S

Cool thread. Lots of neat stuff on here.

I used to collect now comics as well as then comics.

I stopped collecting now comics a few years ago. Now I only collect then comics.

Some people think then comics are better than now comics, just check out the GA and SA forums.

I also collect then wives.

I'm disappointed by the lack of coins being posted :(

Coins aren't for collecting.

Coins are for spending

I'm glad some people spent these in the 1800's, otherwise I would never been able to dig them up. My favorite, although not the most valuable, is the 1861-O half as a majority of them were minted after the Confederates took over the New Orleans branch of the Mint.

NorthFieldobverse-resized.jpg

I collect a lot of things besides comics.

I also have a very good collection of the car humour mags such as Drag Cartoons, Hot Rod Cartoons and CARtoons. I also collect the Warren horror mags such as Creepy and Eerie and the Skywalds. I have a collection of several dozen Mad magazines from the late fifties and early sixties as well.

My collection of CFL cards and such from the fifties to 1972 is among the best in the world. I also have a very nice collection of hockey cards from 1957 to 1973. I also have hundreds of baseball cards although these I've not pursued aggressively. I have thirty binders of sports cards, over three quarters of them from before 1973.

I also collect non-sport cards primarily from 1948 to 1972. These I find even more interesting than sport cards. Favourite sets in my collection include You'll Die Laughing, Funny Valentines, Mr. Foney's Foney Ads, Zorro, Robin Hood, Sports Cars, Civil War News, Casper, TV Westerns, Goofy Series Postcards, Wacky Plaks, Fight the Red Menace, Batman, Space/Target Moon, Crazy Cards, Round-Up, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Monkees and Spook Stories. I haven't yet found Mars Attacks and Battle sets in sufficiently high grade. These two sets would be excruciatingly expensive. All in all, I have 32 binders of non-sport cards of which over 85% are pre-1980.

I've also accumulated the original wrappers for dozens of these sets. As you can imagine, the wrappers can be particularly tough to find.

My collection of premium coins - Shirriff hockey, football, baseball, cars, warships, space etc. - from potato chips and jelly desserts is among the best in the world.

I collect unbuilt figure model kits - the Aurora monster and other figure models, Hawk Weird-Ohs, Revell "Big Daddy" Roth, AMT Star Trek vessels etc. I now have most of the ones I really want. For example, the only Roth kits I need are Surfite, Scuzzfink, Boss Fink and Robin' Hood Fink and and the only Aurora monsters I need are the King Kong, Godzilla and Mummy's Chariot. These are very tough to find.

I also collect unbuilt Aurora and Hawk plane and ship models from the sixties and some drag and stock car model kits from the seventies. I currently have 146 vintage boxed model kits in my display cabinets.

I also have 33 unbuilt slot car kits from the sixties, primarily Monogram and AMT. As you might imagine, these are particularly difficult to find.

I currently have eighteen Mint in Box board games from the sixties including Casper, Terrytoons Hide n' Seek, Outer Limits, Shindig, Howdy Doody Adventure, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Deputy, Mighty Crusaders, Johnny Ringo, Dracula, Superman, Spider-Man and Lost in Space.

I also have a modest collection of other toys including a Three Keys to Treasure Bagatelle, eight Kenner Presto or Sparkle Paint Sets, three different Hasbro Marble Mazes and some Hamilton Invader items. I have a couple of dozen Mint on Card Duncan Spin Tops. The "toy" I most covet is a Mint in Box Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist Laboratory chemistry set which I had as a kid.

I've also taken up collecting NM unused kids' lunch boxes with their thermoses. I now have 22 thermoses and nineteen lunch boxes. The Steve Canyon lunchbox and thermos is the oldest of these but others include Shari Lewis, Casper, Atom Ant & Secret Squirrel, Woody Woodpecker, Famous Monsters of Filmland and Yogi Bear.

I have a small collection of Lionel HO trains. Eventually I'd like to have a 1/29 scale garden railroad outside with Aristocraft and USA Trains equipment. I'll model a 1950s scene and mix 4-8-4 Northern steam engines with GP7 and GP9 diesels in my layout.

I haven't really gotten into Pez dispensers, Corgi or Matchbox cars, or Hot Wheels - yet. Maybe in another ten years.

I also collect refillable soda pop bottles, 16 ounces and smaller, and 1/4 pint and 1/2 pint round painted label milk bottles from the 1920s to the 1950s. I specialize in Ontario dairies. I now have close to two hundred bottles plus several dozen Pepsi and other collectible milk glasses in a custom built kitchen pantry with glass doors to store and display the bottles.

I have a couple very nicely restored Beaver gumball machines from the sixties. As soon as I create the space in my kitchen, I intend to acquire one of the pop machines from the sixties where you pulled the bottle out toward you horizontally. I also really want one of the small metal Wishing Well thermometers which hung in many variety stores when I was a young boy.

I love music and am constantly adding to my record accumulation of over 500 LPs and 200 CDs. My favourite artists include the Rolling Stones, Doors, Animals, Jethro Tull, Kinks, Who, Cream, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Spirit, Yardbirds, Zombies, Troggs, ? & the Mysterians, Jay & the Americans, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Jeff Beck Group, Buddy Guy, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, James Brown, Junior Walker & the All-Stars, David Bowie, Blondie, B-52's, T-Rex, etc.

I have a small collection of Rolling Stones 45 sleeves and concert programs.

I play my music on a Thorens TD 240 turntable with a state of the art Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet cartridge which incorporates a Shibata line stylus, a Marantz CC4001 CD player, a Marantz PM7001 70 watt per channel amplifier and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS8 speakers. I'm also getting a custom hardwood base with interlocking layers of sound deadening baltic birch built for a new old store stock Garrard GT-55 turntable I picked up on Ebay! It will anchor a second system in my bedroom which includes a pair of BIC Venturi 5312 speakers.

I have a small coin collection as well of primarily Canadian silver coins but I have some U.S. ones as well as the odd gold coin.

Collecting is a terrible compulsion for me to be sure....

:cool:

I collect a lot of things besides comics.

I also have a very good collection of the car humour mags such as Drag Cartoons, Hot Rod Cartoons and CARtoons. I also collect the Warren horror mags such as Creepy and Eerie and the Skywalds. I have a collection of several dozen Mad magazines from the late fifties and early sixties as well.

My collection of CFL cards and such from the fifties to 1972 is among the best in the world. I also have a very nice collection of hockey cards from 1957 to 1973. I also have hundreds of baseball cards although these I've not pursued aggressively. I have thirty binders of sports cards, over three quarters of them from before 1973.

I also collect non-sport cards primarily from 1948 to 1972. These I find even more interesting than sport cards. Favourite sets in my collection include You'll Die Laughing, Funny Valentines, Mr. Foney's Foney Ads, Zorro, Robin Hood, Sports Cars, Civil War News, Casper, TV Westerns, Goofy Series Postcards, Wacky Plaks, Fight the Red Menace, Batman, Space/Target Moon, Crazy Cards, Round-Up, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Monkees and Spook Stories. I haven't yet found Mars Attacks and Battle sets in sufficiently high grade. These two sets would be excruciatingly expensive. All in all, I have 32 binders of non-sport cards of which over 85% are pre-1980.

I've also accumulated the original wrappers for dozens of these sets. As you can imagine, the wrappers can be particularly tough to find.

My collection of premium coins - Shirriff hockey, football, baseball, cars, warships, space etc. - from potato chips and jelly desserts is among the best in the world.

I collect unbuilt figure model kits - the Aurora monster and other figure models, Hawk Weird-Ohs, Revell "Big Daddy" Roth, AMT Star Trek vessels etc. I now have most of the ones I really want. For example, the only Roth kits I need are Surfite, Scuzzfink, Boss Fink and Robin' Hood Fink and and the only Aurora monsters I need are the King Kong, Godzilla and Mummy's Chariot. These are very tough to find.

I also collect unbuilt Aurora and Hawk plane and ship models from the sixties and some drag and stock car model kits from the seventies. I currently have 146 vintage boxed model kits in my display cabinets.

I also have 33 unbuilt slot car kits from the sixties, primarily Monogram and AMT. As you might imagine, these are particularly difficult to find.

I currently have eighteen Mint in Box board games from the sixties including Casper, Terrytoons Hide n' Seek, Outer Limits, Shindig, Howdy Doody Adventure, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Deputy, Mighty Crusaders, Johnny Ringo, Dracula, Superman, Spider-Man and Lost in Space.

I also have a modest collection of other toys including a Three Keys to Treasure Bagatelle, eight Kenner Presto or Sparkle Paint Sets, three different Hasbro Marble Mazes and some Hamilton Invader items. I have a couple of dozen Mint on Card Duncan Spin Tops. The "toy" I most covet is a Mint in Box Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist Laboratory chemistry set which I had as a kid.

I've also taken up collecting NM unused kids' lunch boxes with their thermoses. I now have 22 thermoses and nineteen lunch boxes. The Steve Canyon lunchbox and thermos is the oldest of these but others include Shari Lewis, Casper, Atom Ant & Secret Squirrel, Woody Woodpecker, Famous Monsters of Filmland and Yogi Bear.

I have a small collection of Lionel HO trains. Eventually I'd like to have a 1/29 scale garden railroad outside with Aristocraft and USA Trains equipment. I'll model a 1950s scene and mix 4-8-4 Northern steam engines with GP7 and GP9 diesels in my layout.

I haven't really gotten into Pez dispensers, Corgi or Matchbox cars, or Hot Wheels - yet. Maybe in another ten years.

I also collect refillable soda pop bottles, 16 ounces and smaller, and 1/4 pint and 1/2 pint round painted label milk bottles from the 1920s to the 1950s. I specialize in Ontario dairies. I now have close to two hundred bottles plus several dozen Pepsi and other collectible milk glasses in a custom built kitchen pantry with glass doors to store and display the bottles.

I have a couple very nicely restored Beaver gumball machines from the sixties. As soon as I create the space in my kitchen, I intend to acquire one of the pop machines from the sixties where you pulled the bottle out toward you horizontally. I also really want one of the small metal Wishing Well thermometers which hung in many variety stores when I was a young boy.

I love music and am constantly adding to my record accumulation of over 500 LPs and 200 CDs. My favourite artists include the Rolling Stones, Doors, Animals, Jethro Tull, Kinks, Who, Cream, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Spirit, Yardbirds, Zombies, Troggs, ? & the Mysterians, Jay & the Americans, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Jeff Beck Group, Buddy Guy, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, James Brown, Junior Walker & the All-Stars, David Bowie, Blondie, B-52's, T-Rex, etc.

I have a small collection of Rolling Stones 45 sleeves and concert programs.

I play my music on a Thorens TD 240 turntable with a state of the art Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet cartridge which incorporates a Shibata line stylus, a Marantz CC4001 CD player, a Marantz PM7001 70 watt per channel amplifier and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS8 speakers. I'm also getting a custom hardwood base with interlocking layers of sound deadening baltic birch built for a new old store stock Garrard GT-55 turntable I picked up on Ebay! It will anchor a second system in my bedroom which includes a pair of BIC Venturi 5312 speakers.

I have a small coin collection as well of primarily Canadian silver coins but I have some U.S. ones as well as the odd gold coin.

Collecting is a terrible compulsion for me to be sure....

:cool:

Would love to see some pics of....well....pretty much everything.