• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

This society...humanity in general...is a nasty little virus that the planet needs to get rid of sooner rather than later.

Damn, I shocked Jim with the extremity of one of my recent outbursts, but you've taken it to another level, Nicholas! lol

Let's not go crazy -- the price is ridiculous. I would never pay it. But it's not the end of the world either nor the collecting world. If the person has the money to spend and wants this "best" copy, then they are obviously willing to pay for it.

Should it happen? Not in my opinion, but I can't buy into "with all the problems in the world" argument Nick, because if we go down that line of logic, we shouldn't be spending any money on comics because it's all too much in relativity to people's more significant problems.

Brian, do you still have the X-Men 207 9.9? I want to flip it to this guy :wishluck:

I do. lol

I'll offer you $11,999.99 for it! That should protect me from getting ridiculed for dropping $12K on a Copper book! :insane:

I remember talking to a collector in 1996, he paid $1,000 for a NM Fantastic Four #1, and $800.00 for a NM Green Lantern #1 out of the comic buyers guide in around 1982-1984 or so if I can remember. They were from a high grade collection that surfaced. He was practically laughed into the nut hut by his family and friends. Who would pay 1 grand for a dumb comic book. Assuming the grades remotely held up, that would of been a very, very good investment.

It is beyond ridiculous to compare FF #1 to New Mutants #98.

NOBODY bought 15 copies of FF #1 the week it was brand new, immediately bagged and boarded them, and then stuck them in a long box for 40+ years.

More than one person did just that with New Mutants #98.

Perspective, people. The two aren't remotely comparable.

Can there be some fun had at my expense? I was the one who graded this copy and missed out on a little more than I originally got at first sale doh! . How about someone coming up with a custom title for me? I mean these boards had a lot to do with me grading that book because without these boards I might of not gotten into CGC grading and created this monster several years ago now!

I feel for you my friend. I've had this happen to me on several books which is just the nature of the beast. My hulk 181 9.6 sold at 2k and 2 years later went to 6k, my spotlight 5 9.6 sold at 2k and 2 years later sold at 5k just to name a few. Years ago, people were rippin' on me for paying what I did which at the time was insane! I mean at the time, we were talking about a 15.00 comic at best pulling in hundreds more than the publicly known price of 510.00 and I can't tell you how many people told me that there would be more 9.9s coming any day.. Hasn't happened since the 4 years this book was originally sold. Not saying it isn't gonna happen but it wouldn't matter all that much anyway. 2 9.9s for the entire comic population is hardly enough. Even though we all see this as a high price, it doesn't mean that this book won't have a following tomorrow, nor does it mean that others are not willing to pay the same price. I mean, the book got that high in a bidding war with at least 2 participants so someone else out there wants it too. I would guess that we haven't seen the last on this book fetching big money. The only thing that would have been nice is to see less people ripping on the buyer. Crazy books have sold for crazy prices in the past and most of those "crazy" books are now worth more than their crazy prices back then. I think that the wolverine 1 9.9 was a prime example and its also a modern book. personally, I think the first app of deadpool has more going for it than the first mini series by wolverine but that is just my opinion and some may disagree and that's completely understandable to me. I just wish the buyer good luck with my book. (thumbs u

Grammar_Natzee__Wall_O___Text_by_dinyctis.jpg

I remember talking to a collector in 1996, he paid $1,000 for a NM Fantastic Four #1, and $800.00 for a NM Green Lantern #1 out of the comic buyers guide in around 1982-1984 or so if I can remember. They were from a high grade collection that surfaced. He was practically laughed into the nut hut by his family and friends. Who would pay 1 grand for a dumb comic book. Assuming the grades remotely held up, that would of been a very, very good investment.

Come on now, Tom. How can you even put NM 98 in the same league as FF and GL #1?

Come on now, Tom. How can you even put NM 98 in the same league as FF and GL #1?

Yeah, that's an insult to X-Force 1 (all card versions), X-Men 1 (all 5 covers), and Spider-Man 1 (I lost count on all those covers).

:insane:

Yeah, that's an insult to X-Force 1 (all card versions), X-Men 1 (all 5 covers), and Spider-Man 1 (I lost count on all those covers).

Spidey #1 Covers:

Green - regular - Spidey head

Green - regular - UPC

Green - polybagged

Black - regular - Spidey head

Black - regular - UPC

Black - polybagged

Platinum

Gold - Spidey Head

Gold - UPC

(shrug)

Spidey #1 Covers:

Green - regular - Spidey head

Green - regular - UPC

Green - polybagged

Black - regular - Spidey head

Black - regular - UPC

Black - polybagged

Platinum

Gold - Spidey Head

Gold - UPC

(shrug)

There ya go - all the versions accounted for.

Much appreciated!

I predict that as more collectors arrive to the hobby the books will become more scarce because there's a larger population of people looking to own them. Heck, some of them will even want multiple copies. It is in fact a great book to own for investment purposes unless the popularity of Deadpool suddenly or gradually declines.

These new collectors, then...

Just when are they going to start arriving because by every measurement you want to take, this hobby is getting smaller by the week.

And the census figures tell you that this particular book will be easier to catch than crabs in COI's crib. (thumbs u

Well there's a whole crop of 90s collectors who got burned, but also still love comics (I being one of them) who are just now having their own kids, look for this hobby to really heat up by 2020-2025 with the younger crowd.

I predict that as more collectors arrive to the hobby the books will become more scarce because there's a larger population of people looking to own them. Heck, some of them will even want multiple copies. It is in fact a great book to own for investment purposes unless the popularity of Deadpool suddenly or gradually declines.

Just when are they going to start arriving because by every measurement you want to take, this hobby is getting smaller by the week.

And the census figures tell you that this particular book will be easier to catch than crabs in COI's crib. (thumbs u

Well there's a whole crop of 90s collectors who got burned, but also still love comics (I being one of them) who are just now having their own kids, look for this hobby to really heat up by 2020-2025 with the younger crowd.

Nope. Not going to happen. You are one of the few exceptions who will look back on the 90s with affection. The vast majority of potential 'returners' will understand that they were fed garbage and generally lost their shirts.

Additionally, whilst the 60s and 70s were very much 'comic generations' in terms of entertainment for kids, the 80s and 90s will have a lot more competition when it comes down to nostalgic yearnings.

Nope. Not going to happen. You are one of the few exceptions who will look back on the 90s with affection. The vast majority of potential 'returners' will understand that they were fed garbage and generally lost their shirts.

Additionally, whilst the 60s and 70s were very much 'comic generations' in terms of entertainment for kids, the 80s and 90s will have a lot more competition when it comes down to nostalgic yearnings.

I agree with this.

:idea:

I do think what has changed is the paradigm shift in how much comics should cost though.

All the younger collectors that do collect are being (or already have been) desensitized to the high prices that took us time to get used to over 2 decades.

I remember waltzing back into the hobby in 2002/2003 and being shocked at prices of Hulk #181 and ASM #129 in 9.4+ grades. That was because I sold my high grade copies for $200 each 10-12 years prior.

These kids are growing up in an era where GA and SA keys are fetching easy 6 figures on a weekly basis so to spend 4 or 5 figures on a copper key is nothing, relatively speaking. Especially when there are childhood memories attached.

It seems that there is an up and coming X and Y generation that have money to spend on Albedo #2, TMNT #1, NM #98 or 87 or whateverthefugitis and so even though the hobby is growing smaller, the dollar amounts are not.

True. For me it's He-Man and G.I. Joe for nostalgia from the 80s.

From the 90s it's Toy Biz Marvel and DC Action Figures and comics.

But having seen every episode of both 80s series and not having the desire to hunt down every single figure and accessory from that era of those two 80s shows for me the 80s nostalgia is at completion. I have nearly every Toy Biz action figure that I want, there's a few exceptions, I don't think I ever was able to get a Daredevil, Dr. Doom, or Superman before I quit picking them up and now that I've been exposed to Green Lantern that would probably be a nice fit into my collection as well.

However, I've just recently started compiling the 80s run of G.I. Joe comics (which I've never read) and am thinking about adding the current IDW runs to my pull list. The organization of Cobra has fascinated me since I was a little kid. I always liked Cobra more than G.I. Joe. The ongoing fascination probably has a lot of it having to do with the secret identity aspects of the members. Nearly all of the top members are in some sort of disguise.

At any rate, I'm constantly talking up comics to friends and try to get new people interested whenever I can. I do think that the hobby will grow and for the sake of anyone buying for dollar value you should hope so too. The smaller the hobby, the more readily available books will become which will decrease their value.

To get back on topic: I also think that it might be possible, maybe not necessarily probable that a lot of the high prices being fetched in the last year could be the result of people pulling money out of the stock market and sinking it into collectibles. With GPA being what it is, and online buying opportunities being what they are, the comic market is primed for that sort of speculator/investor.

My main buying was in the 90s. I came back last year. Not trying to disprove your point at all, I'm as thick as and felt you were leaving me out :makepoint:

It is beyond ridiculous to compare FF #1 to New Mutants #98.

NOBODY bought 15 copies of FF #1 the week it was brand new, immediately bagged and boarded them, and then stuck them in a long box for 40+ years.

More than one person did just that with New Mutants #98.

Perspective, people. The two aren't remotely comparable.

maybe not FF #1 but I can see comparing NewMutants#98 to Incredible Hulk #181 as they both had similar print runs and by looking at the census Hulk #181 looks like it was slabbed more than New Mutants #98. so either FF# 1 is undervalued or Hulk #181/NewMutants# 98 are overvalued. hm

Why wouldn't the superhero movies of the 2000s reconnect these people to comics? I got forced out of comics in the mid-90s myself, but the X-Men film in 2000 pulled me back into them. The easy availability of them due to the Internet intensified my interest, much as it has intensified the entire market.

Why wouldn't the superhero movies of the 2000s reconnect these people to comics? I got forced out of comics in the mid-90s myself, but the X-Men film in 2000 pulled me back into them. The easy availability of them due to the Internet intensified my interest, much as it has intensified the entire market.

Again, you are an exception to the rule.

At the same time as the huge success of the film franchises, the comic readership numbers have continued to decline. Yes, people think it's cool to see their old heroes up on the screen, or discover them for the first time, but it hasn't driven them back to the source material.

Hell, it's probably done more for the games than the books. doh!

Again, you are an exception to the rule.

What empirical evidence leads you to believe this? I know new readers aren't coming in, but I don't see why people wouldn't rediscover comics today at the same rate as they have in the past...I would think the opposite is true SPECIFICALLY because of the films.