• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

I snatched up 6 copies when it was starting to warm-up, and had $250 tied up in the 6 books, all 9.6 range. I'm keeping one raw and going to slab another two, as for the other three.......got a call for the other 3 by my LCS, as they had none and had a highly motivated buyer.....said I'd be there in 15 minutes. The code we use over the phone is "motivated", so to make a long story short...we agree all three are in the 9.6 or better range.....I say $500.......buyer says $450......I fudge/squirm for a bit and say.....alright. The buyers own words were.....this is the next Hulk 181 and the next Wolverine. :acclaim:

The next Hulk 181? Really?

With the Hulk 181 book you have, according to the latest census, 4170 books graded. Of that, 166 are 9.6 or better. Meaning 3.98% of the toal books graded are 9.6 or better.

In regards to NM 98, there are 1339 books currently in the census. Of those, 855 are 9.6 or better. That makes 63.85% of the total books graded 9.6 or better.

This recent sale will only drive more NM 98s to be graveled out of long boxes and graded.

So, again I say, the next Hulk 181? Really?

:luhv:

7301.dl.jpg

I predict that as more collectors arrive to the hobby the books will become more scarce because there's a larger population of people looking to own them. Heck, some of them will even want multiple copies. It is in fact a great book to own for investment purposes unless the popularity of Deadpool suddenly or gradually declines.

Are they "arriving" from the 1980's via time machine? Cause I don't know anyone under the age of 35 who collects comic books...

That's funny, the only people I ever see in the comic shops around here are all in their mid 20s.

I myself am only 29. I might look a little older, don't let the recession at the top of the dome fool ya. :-)

Edited by comicalgems

With the Hulk 181 book you have, according to the latest census, 4170 books graded. Of that, 166 are 9.6 or better. Meaning 3.98% of the toal books graded are 9.6 or better.

In regards to NM 98, there are 1339 books currently in the census. Of those, 855 are 9.6 or better. That makes 63.85% of the total books graded 9.6 or better.

I understand the point you're trying to make, and you're right, but you can't really compare how common a book is using percentages like this. Even if NM 98 was relatively hard to find in 9.6 or better, it would still have a much higher percentage of total books graded in 9.6 or better than would Hulk 181,because of the higher pricepoint.

In order to make a valid scarcity comparison using the % of books in 9.X or higher, you'd need to compare 2 books with similar guide values and comparable overall demand.

Yeah, he might have a point. Demand may outstrip supply.

I didn't even know who Deadpool was until I saw the Wolverine movie this year, honestly.

I stopped buying moderns in the 1990's and just recently started picking up certain things.

Today's college kids though, will definitely be into this stuff and the propulsion by the media such as video games (...is there a Deadpool video game yet?) and movies will only make him that much bigger.

This is different than Superman or Spider-man being made bigger through media because our generation had to adapt to the tech scene and was not born in it like these new collectors and hobbyists.

As these kids and such graduate and incomes increase I can see it's value climb.

I snatched up 6 copies when it was starting to warm-up, and had $250 tied up in the 6 books, all 9.6 range. I'm keeping one raw and going to slab another two, as for the other three.......got a call for the other 3 by my LCS, as they had none and had a highly motivated buyer.....said I'd be there in 15 minutes. The code we use over the phone is "motivated", so to make a long story short...we agree all three are in the 9.6 or better range.....I say $500.......buyer says $450......I fudge/squirm for a bit and say.....alright. The buyers own words were.....this is the next Hulk 181 and the next Wolverine. :acclaim:

Soooo....what do we make of this...?

IMG_1173-1.jpg

Should I hold on to these, then...? ;)

IMG_1173-1.jpg

Drek :sumo:

IMG_1173-1.jpg

"I'll give you cover price for 'em"

I predict that as more collectors arrive to the hobby the books will become more scarce because there's a larger population of people looking to own them. Heck, some of them will even want multiple copies. It is in fact a great book to own for investment purposes unless the popularity of Deadpool suddenly or gradually declines.

Are they "arriving" from the 1980's via time machine? Cause I don't know anyone under the age of 35 who collects comic books...

:hi:

Just turned 29.

I see a hellalot of on here

"hellalot of"...?

;)

sorry, "hell of a lot of"

come down here, and I'll make you some sweet tea and fried eggplant to go with that winky.

Goodness.

You sure do know how to make a boy blush...

:blush:

no, really. it's just tea and fried vegetables.

IMG_1173-1.jpg

Drek :sumo:

Clearly. ;)

That one damn UPC #87 spoils the flow of the pic....

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1173-1.jpg

So you're not the only one ? I have around 40 copies of 86, and 25 apiece of 87 and 98. They cant seriously be worth money can they ? I on half of them and doodlled on the rest.

I understand the point you're trying to make, and you're right, but you can't really compare how common a book is using percentages like this. Even if NM 98 was relatively hard to find in 9.6 or better, it would still have a much higher percentage of total books graded in 9.6 or better than would Hulk 181,because of the higher pricepoint.

In order to make a valid scarcity comparison using the % of books in 9.X or higher, you'd need to compare 2 books with similar guide values and comparable overall demand.

I understand what you are saying, however, given the high price point of Hulk 181 owners, collectors, dealers, and holders of 181 have had every incentive in the WORLD to have this book graded if they hold a NM or better example.

9.6 181's go for $4k-5k

9.6 NM 98's go for $200

Given the enormous financial incentive to have a 181 graded we have still only seen less than 4% of the books reach that grade. If there were more books out there in great shape the (several) record breaking sales of 9.6 and 9.8 copies would have shaken them from the tree.

Inversely, NM 98 has relatively little financial incentive to be slabbed. It sells for 1/20th of the 181 in the same grade, yet of the copies graded a full 69% of Blue label copies have attained 9.6 or better.

NM 98 is common, common in high grade, and came from an issue that was 9 issues into Rob Liefelds career spike in popularity. There are anywhere between 200,000 and 300,000 copies of NM 98 and were collected and held from DAY 1 bagged and boarded, held and hoarded.

Just in the last 45 days the census of Blue Label NM 98's have grown by 44 copies. 35 of those were 9.6 or better. THAT'S 80%!!!

That's why you see almost 70% of the overall NM 98 Census of graded copies go 9.6 or better when subbed. Given this most recent auction price I expect to see a flood of NM 98's coming through the door.

As it is, the price of 9.6's have dropped consistently over the last 2 years, down some 30%. This is most likely due to the high population numbers in 9.6 or better. It's only going to become more and more common with the additional expected subs.

By this point next year you will most likely be able to tile your kitchen floor with 9.6 and 9.8 NM 98 slabs for less than the cost per foot of linoleum.

Best,

Chris

I understand what you are saying, however, given the high price point of Hulk 181 owners, collectors, dealers, and holders of 181 have had every incentive in the WORLD to have this book graded if they hold a NM or better example.

9.6 181's go for $4k-5k

9.6 NM 98's go for $200

Given the enormous financial incentive to have a 181 graded we have still only seen less than 4% of the books reach that grade. If there were more books out there in great shape the (several) record breaking sales of 9.6 and 9.8 copies would have shaken them from the tree.

Inversely, NM 98 has relatively little financial incentive to be slabbed. It sells for 1/20th of the 181 in the same grade, yet of the copies graded a full 69% of Blue label copies have attained 9.6 or better.

NM 98 is common, common in high grade, and came from an issue that was 9 issues into Rob Liefelds career spike in popularity. There are anywhere between 200,000 and 300,000 copies of NM 98 and were collected and held from DAY 1 bagged and boarded, held and hoarded.

Just in the last 45 days the census of Blue Label NM 98's have grown by 44 copies. 35 of those were 9.6 or better. THAT'S 80%!!!

That's why you see almost 70% of the overall NM 98 Census of graded copies go 9.6 or better when subbed. Given this most recent auction price I expect to see a flood of NM 98's coming through the door.

As it is, the price of 9.6's have dropped consistently over the last 2 years, down some 30%. This is most likely due to the high population numbers in 9.6 or better. It's only going to become more and more common with the additional expected subs.

By this point next year you will most likely be able to tile your kitchen floor with 9.6 and 9.8 NM 98 slabs for less than the cost per foot of linoleum.

Best,

Chris

How Flippin' Rad Would My Kitchen Be!

I didn't even know who Deadpool was until I saw the Wolverine movie this year, honestly.

I stopped buying moderns in the 1990's and just recently started picking up certain things.

Today's college kids though, will definitely be into this stuff and the propulsion by the media such as video games (...is there a Deadpool video game yet?) and movies will only make him that much bigger.

This is different than Superman or Spider-man being made bigger through media because our generation had to adapt to the tech scene and was not born in it like these new collectors and hobbyists.

As these kids and such graduate and incomes increase I can see it's value climb.

You're doing it again.

You're doing it again.

You're doing it again.

bwahahahahaha. I slay me.

Right, but there's also financial incentive to slab 6.0s, 6.5s, 7.0s, 7.5s, 8.0s, 8.5s, 9.0s, 9.2s and 9.4s, thus creating a larger overall pool of graded books. Even if NM 98 was actually scarcer than Hulk 181 in 9.6 or better, its lower value insures that no one is going to be submitting 6.5-9.0 copies in any significant numbers. Therefore, it would still show a higher percentage in 9.6+ on the census because the overall pool of graded books would be smaller.

That in and of itself proves my point.

Hey, I'm not disputing your conclusion, I'm just pointing out that your premise is weak. :baiting: