• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

OK, I'll bite. At what point does a comic book price become ridiculous?

$50

$500

$5000

$50000

$500000

$5000000

Anbody?

I'm sure that somebody paying $1000 for a modern (and there are lots of them for sale in the selling forum) is no different than someone paying $10,000 for a modern.

It's all ridiculous to society.

lots of them? please show me "lots" of moderns selling for $1000. might be the rare CGC 9.9-10 (1 Walking Dead #1 9.9), but that's about it.

$50

$500

$5000

$50000

$500000

$5000000

Anbody?

I'm sure that somebody paying $1000 for a modern (and there are lots of them for sale in the selling forum) is no different than someone paying $10,000 for a modern.

lots of them? please show me "lots" of moderns selling for $1000. might be the rare CGC 9.9-10 (1 Walking Dead #1 9.9), but that's about it.

Why are you even bringing in what society would pay for the book, you just answered your own question. Nobody outside of the comic world would unless we're gonna keep going with the rich celebrity sweeping in cause he fell in love with the Rob Liefeld Levi's commercials.

Only a comic person would pay this price. We re all comic people here and the majority think its a stupid price for a book that is likely arbitrarily a 9.9 yet sold for 50x the price of a 9.8 with a high likelihood of it being matched or surpassed. Thats your definition of a ridiculous price.

$50

$500

$5000

$50000

$500000

$5000000

Anbody?

Lots might have been the wrong word. There have been enough of them to raise the eyebrows of anybody who wants to knock the prices of high grade moderns.

I did a quick search of the copper/modern forum and found a $500, $900, $1000 moderns all within the last two weeks. They exist.

The point of the discussion was not how many of them sell at that price. The point was that one person's junk is another person's treasure.

Can there be some fun had at my expense? I was the one who graded this copy and missed out on a little more than I originally got at first sale doh! . How about someone coming up with a custom title for me? I mean these boards had a lot to do with me grading that book because without these boards I might of not gotten into CGC grading and created this monster several years ago now!

Can there be some fun had at my expense? I was the one who graded this copy and missed out on a little more than I originally got at first sale doh! . How about someone coming up with a custom title for me? I mean these boards had a lot to do with me grading that book because without these boards I might of not gotten into CGC grading and created this monster several years ago now!

Funny enough I came on here because I had a 9.9 on eBay and a forum member called me over to watch the discussion.

(thumbs u

lol

lol
Will you remind me again next year at TAKA of this error? :D Edited by BigMan

lol
Will you remind me again next year at TAKA TAKA of this error? :D
:roflmao:

Roy: Here is another reason it's ridiculous...is it really worth $5,000 more than an ASM#129 in 9.8?

A $5,000 premium over an older, more sought after book (ASM no less) and more recognizable character for ONE/TENTH of a grade point :baiting:

I think the premiums/multiples we pay for a fifth of a grade point is insane but there is no matching this one.

If this doesn't shock you and you can understand why someone paid 50x the price for a tenth of a grade, then you wouldn't be shocked if a 10 went to auction and sold for $600,000???

Exact same multiple but at least the 10 could never be surpassed :thumbsup:

Jim

I feel for you my friend. I've had this happen to me on several books which is just the nature of the beast. My hulk 181 9.6 sold at 2k and 2 years later went to 6k, my spotlight 5 9.6 sold at 2k and 2 years later sold at 5k just to name a few. Years ago, people were rippin' on me for paying what I did which at the time was insane! I mean at the time, we were talking about a 15.00 comic at best pulling in hundreds more than the publicly known price of 510.00 and I can't tell you how many people told me that there would be more 9.9s coming any day.. Hasn't happened since the 4 years this book was originally sold. Not saying it isn't gonna happen but it wouldn't matter all that much anyway. 2 9.9s for the entire comic population is hardly enough. Even though we all see this as a high price, it doesn't mean that this book won't have a following tomorrow, nor does it mean that others are not willing to pay the same price. I mean, the book got that high in a bidding war with at least 2 participants so someone else out there wants it too. I would guess that we haven't seen the last on this book fetching big money. The only thing that would have been nice is to see less people ripping on the buyer. Crazy books have sold for crazy prices in the past and most of those "crazy" books are now worth more than their crazy prices back then. I think that the wolverine 1 9.9 was a prime example and its also a modern book. personally, I think the first app of deadpool has more going for it than the first mini series by wolverine but that is just my opinion and some may disagree and that's completely understandable to me. I just wish the buyer good luck with my book. (thumbs u

Roy: Here is another reason it's ridiculous...is it really worth $5,000 more than an ASM#129 in 9.8?

A $5,000 premium over an older, more sought after book (ASM no less) and more recognizable character for ONE/TENTH of a grade point :baiting:

I think the premiums/multiples we pay for a fifth of a grade point is insane but there is no matching this one.

If this doesn't shock you and you can understand why someone paid 50x the price for a tenth of a grade, then you wouldn't be shocked if a 10 went to auction and sold for $600,000???

Exact same multiple but at least the 10 could never be surpassed :thumbsup:

Jim

Jim, you are confusing me with someone who would place a value on this book.

I didn't even know who Deadpool was before I saw the Wolvie movie this summer. Seriously. I mean I had seen him on covers that were displayed here but I really had no idea who he was, what powers he possessed etc.

I've passed on high grade copies all year long because I couldn't be bothered to even look at one. I regret that now.

Do I think it's worth more than an ASM #129? What I think doesn't matter. What matters is what two other people thought it was worth.

Personally I've always thought the Punisher was a deadbeat character, but then I was never an ASM guy really. I haven't seen either Punisher movie and don't plan to.

There are plenty of books that sell at huge multiples. 50 times top guide was the norm for 9.8 bronze keys for years. Might still be for a lot of books. I haven't kept track.

Do I think it's a lot of money? Sure. I'd probably sink that $12K into something else that has more value to me but I do enjoy watching the high grade market so I wouldn't say shock is the right word. Call me the comic book version of an adrenalin junkie. I've seen other 9.9 copies sell for ridiculous money. My Secret Wars #8 CGC 9.9 sale is what brought me to this forum in 2004. It sold for $1200 in an eBay auction and then I sold a second copy to an underbidder who was and is a board member for $1100. That was 5 years ago. Why would this book be more ridiculous?

I don't understand your point. I'm not saying the book is worth $12K.

What I am saying is:

a) the buyer is probably a grown up with a different sized pocket book than most of us and shouldn't be berated for his purchase.

b) Deadpool is obviously a very popular character. I think he is likely more popular than most thought he would be.

I don't see why I keep getting singled out for these two points.

(shrug)

Does anyone know if the buyer of the New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 is a board member? (shrug)

Even if they were, I doubt they'd admit to it now.

Jim

There are several posters that choose not to post here because they'd rather not deal with all the emotional baggage that people bring in here.

(thumbs u

I remember talking to a collector in 1996, he paid $1,000 for a NM Fantastic Four #1, and $800.00 for a NM Green Lantern #1 out of the comic buyers guide in around 1982-1984 or so if I can remember. They were from a high grade collection that surfaced. He was practically laughed into the nut hut by his family and friends. Who would pay 1 grand for a dumb comic book. Assuming the grades remotely held up, that would of been a very, very good investment.