• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

Yeah, he might have a point. Demand may outstrip supply.

I didn't even know who Deadpool was until I saw the Wolverine movie this year, honestly.

I stopped buying moderns in the 1990's and just recently started picking up certain things.

Today's college kids though, will definitely be into this stuff and the propulsion by the media such as video games (...is there a Deadpool video game yet?) and movies will only make him that much bigger.

This is different than Superman or Spider-man being made bigger through media because our generation had to adapt to the tech scene and was not born in it like these new collectors and hobbyists.

As these kids and such graduate and incomes increase I can see it's value climb.

You're doing it again.

lol Just ask him if he'd like to go out sometime, and get it over with.

To Doc, this book is the hottest thing going on the coast and everybody is looking for it. I understand your point, but where was NM 98 in accordance to Hulk 181 at the same age....aka X years after print, would an Hulk 181 at 18 yrs of age sold for $12,000+ in CGC 9.9??-no because the slab was not here yet. Also, couple the fact`that the collecting community has been salivating for the next big key for awhile now.....and they have one. To each his own, plus, when I refer to the Hulk 181 comparison.....understand I'm not doing it from a slab zombie frame of mind....CGC census zombie frame of mind, but a collector of HG raw books, which this book has the potential to become the next 181.....nice #'s though.

I didn't even know who Deadpool was until I saw the Wolverine movie this year, honestly.

I stopped buying moderns in the 1990's and just recently started picking up certain things.

Today's college kids though, will definitely be into this stuff and the propulsion by the media such as video games (...is there a Deadpool video game yet?) and movies will only make him that much bigger.

This is different than Superman or Spider-man being made bigger through media because our generation had to adapt to the tech scene and was not born in it like these new collectors and hobbyists.

As these kids and such graduate and incomes increase I can see it's value climb.

You're doing it again.

If by "go out" you mean "stand still so I can hit him with a sweatsock full of nickels" I'm all for it. :frustrated:

To Doc, this book is the hottest thing going on the coast and everybody is looking for it. I understand your point, but where was NM 98 in accordance to Hulk 181 at the same age....aka X years after print, would an Hulk 181 at 18 yrs of age sold for $12,000+ in CGC 9.9??-no because the slab was not here yet. Also, couple the fact`that the collecting community has been salivating for the next big key for awhile now.....and they have one. To each his own, plus, when I refer to the Hulk 181 comparison.....understand I'm not doing it from a slab zombie frame of mind....CGC census zombie frame of mind, but a collector of HG raw books, which this book has the potential to become the next 181.....nice #'s though.

You bought it didn't you? :baiting:

For all our sakes, I certainly hope the movie doesn't blow chunks. :wishluck:

You bought it didn't you? :baiting:

No, but I bought my 6 for $250 and sold 3 for $450....all raw, I'll sale one of the one's that come back from the slabbary.....so, I've done alright by Mr. Deadpool.

You're doing it again.

If by "go out" you mean "stand still so I can hit him with a sweatsock full of nickels" I'm all for it. :frustrated:

Make it Sacagawea dollars and I'm in. :wishluck:

Given the enormous financial incentive to have a 181 graded we have still only seen less than 4% of the books reach that grade. If there were more books out there in great shape the (several) record breaking sales of 9.6 and 9.8 copies would have shaken them from the tree.

Right, but there's also financial incentive to slab 6.0s, 6.5s, 7.0s, 7.5s, 8.0s, 8.5s, 9.0s, 9.2s and 9.4s, thus creating a larger overall pool of graded books. Even if NM 98 was actually scarcer than Hulk 181 in 9.6 or better, its lower value insures that no one is going to be submitting 6.5-9.0 copies in any significant numbers. Therefore, it would still show a higher percentage in 9.6+ on the census because the overall pool of graded books would be smaller.

Ok, I get what you are saying. People had every reason in the world to sub all the Hulk 181's whereas people have only had incentive to sub nice copies of NM 98. (thumbs u

I guess to rephrase and take away the % figures of how many graded high, we should just talk raw numbers.

The reason I am doubting the NM 98 will be anything close to Hulk 181 is that given all that financial incentive to get all those Hulk 181's in there...only 174 of them have attained 9.6 or better. Given all the economic boost people would see from having a 9.6 or better copy, the copies STILL are just not out there.

Conversely, NM 98 has seen 918 copies graded at 9.6 or better with very small incentive to get your copies graded. Now people have incentive to get their copies graded. Overall it's going to bloat the census to an extreme degree in the next 8 to 12 months.

As it is there are already 5 and a half times the amount of NM 98's in 9.6 or better than Hulk 181. That spread is only getting wider as time passes.

But it makes sense to not talk straight percentages given 181's overall BV.

Best,

Chris

Yes, a good movie with sequel potential will drive sales raw and slabbed alike. So, ( as I crack my first beer of the evening) here's to Deadpool..... :wishluck: man we really need the beer mug toasting smilie

You're doing it again.

Make it Sacagawea dollars and I'm in. :wishluck:

see, it's just sad when you say it.

The reason I am doubting the NM 98 will be anything close to Hulk 181 is that given all that financial incentive to get all those Hulk 181's in there...only 174 of them have attained 9.6 or better. Given all the economic boost people would see from having a 9.6 or better copy, the copies STILL are just not out there.

Oh, I have no doubt that you and Jim are correct in that respect, I'm just being difficult. :foryou:

You're doing it again.

Everbody knows that it's "Pillowcase filled with full RC Cola cans". :sumo:

bbRCcola.jpg

Sean Penn knows all about these things, don't be afraid to ask.

Yes, a good movie with sequel potential will drive sales raw and slabbed alike. So, ( as I crack my first beer of the evening) here's to Deadpool..... :wishluck: man we really need the beer mug toasting smilie

Crack one open for me as well. For the idea that Deadpool is the next Wolverine and New Mutants 98 is the next mega key to sink in, I think I need to be drunk. :foryou:

Feel free to save this in your photobucket account...

cheer.gif

You're doing it again.

Everbody knows that it's "Pillowcase filled with full RC Cola cans". :sumo:

bbRCcola.jpg

Sean Penn knows all about these things, don't be afraid to ask.

DUDE!!!! Original Bad Boys Reference, you sir rock!

Well, to be totally honest, I was......"I've got $250 tied up in 6 of these books!!!! Then the wave hit and it was on....as they say, this is the one book the stink factory called Wizard, just might have sparked an inferno????:popcorn:

If that's the case, then I owe wizard a big THANK YOU!

Edited by nextlevelmp