• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

Did Overstreet use both Split Grades and the +/- Grades before CGC showed up? (Haven't bought one in a long time).

Anyone know?

I don't think so, officially, but they were commonly used by the time CGC came around.

I seem to recall a dealer having an Overstreet a few years back...same as the one I had, but his was large and had +/- grades and split grades...whereas my copy only had GD VG FN VF NM, his had a + or - column. This was in 2003 or 2004.

Did Overstreet use both Split Grades and the +/- Grades before CGC showed up? (Haven't bought one in a long time).

Anyone know?

I don't think so, officially, but they were commonly used by the time CGC came around.

I seem to recall a dealer having an Overstreet a few years back...same as the one I had, but his was large and had +/- grades and split grades...whereas my copy only had GD VG FN VF NM, his had a + or - column. This was in 2003 or 2004.

oh yes, +/- has been around a long time and split grades for even longer (commonly). Split grades were in common usage when I started seriously collecting in the mid to late 80's, and +/- shortly after that (less commonly, but everyone knew what it meant). I wouldn't be surprised if both were in fairly common usage much longer than that. Someone like Crowzilla could probably tell us for sure.

I just seen this post.. and I would feel really really bad if cgc decided to grade a few more NM 98'S 9.9 ...sorta like they did on the chew #1 THEY WERE really really generous grading those..

The reason there are a lot of Chew #1 9.9's is because of the glossy cover stock - it has nothing to do with CGC's generosity.

general question about 9.9

since I never have one and the only one I see is the NM 98, I like to know the criteria if anyone care to explain.

can a 9.9 has a not perfect centered cut? or does everything must be near perfect? assuming a book as perfect corners and spine but it is miswrap or miscut, can a book with this printing flaw gets a 9.9?

I am under the impression that a 9.9 doesn't have to be perfectly centered book.

it most likely doesn't factor into account. The new mutants 87 9.9 that just sold for around 3200.00 was off centered and back cover was showing on front. Personally I don't understand how that or marvel spotlight 5 9.6 copies that are so terribly off centered are passed as 9.6 because the book is defective from factory but it also seems to help the grade by masking the spine imperfections as the black spines would show flaws much easier that the white off centered spine. 2c

"A CGC'd version sold for $12,000"...

doh!

CGC > PGX

-slym

CGC ∞ > PGX

While I agree with this - I think the gap in narrowing. The lone PGX book I sold on eBay went for quite a bit more than I expected and probably higher than a CGC book in 9.8.

For those curious it was a recent modern graded 9.9.

"A CGC'd version sold for $12,000"...

doh!

CGC > PGX

-slym

CGC ∞ > PGX

While I agree with this - I think the gap in narrowing. The lone PGX book I sold on eBay went for quite a bit more than I expected and probably higher than a CGC book in 9.8.

For those curious it was a recent modern graded 9.9.

Wow... may I ask what GPA would be for the CGC copy, and what you sold the PGX for?

-slym (isn't asking for the book's title, so isn't asking for GPA like that) ;)