• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

Bollocks to the PC-friendly 'don't knock what others collect' garbage...this is a sale that makes me wretch.

The book has no intrinsic value whatsoever...none, zero, zilch, nada, bugger all...and utter stupidity like this just brings the end that little bit closer.

With all the trouble in the world, $12,000 is laid on on a piece of total sh!te like that?

This society...humanity in general...is a nasty little virus that the planet needs to get rid of sooner rather than later.

There are those among us who would take the 12.5K hammer as being a sign that "DOOM is among us".

Yep. I have a hard time seeing how a NM 98 selling for 12K is in any way indicative of a healthy market. At best, it's a krazy anomaly.

There are those among us who would take the 12.5K hammer as being a sign that "DOOM is among us".

Yep. I have a hard time seeing how a NM 98 selling for 12K is in any way indicative of a healthy market. At best, it's a krazy anomaly.

Maybe Krazy Kat bought it! lol

Yeah...this one's :screwy:

Does anyone know if it was actually paid for? Looking at the final bid in auction houses is fine and all, but knowing if it was PAID for says a lot more.

Are you up to your old shenanigans, Troop? :makepoint:

Nope, eventhough the beginings of Pedigree was on the foundation of fraud and theft. I didn't mess with this auction.

Bollocks to the PC-friendly 'don't knock what others collect' garbage...this is a sale that makes me wretch.

The book has no intrinsic value whatsoever...none, zero, zilch, nada, bugger all...and utter stupidity like this just brings the end that little bit closer.

With all the trouble in the world, $12,000 is laid on on a piece of total sh!te like that?

This society...humanity in general...is a nasty little virus that the planet needs to get rid of sooner rather than later.

Dammit, F_T. I am tired of all your wishy-washy fence-straddling. Have an opinion, for once!

:roflmao:

Nick, my point is where do you draw the line as to what is an acceptable price and what isn't?

The line is in a different spot for every person depending on how deep their pockets are and what their perspective of the hobby is.

There are 100's of sales every year where people wretch at prices and they just continue to happen.

Some prices, in hindsight are good investments, and some are not.

When Wolverine Limited #1 in CGC 10.0 sold for $4000 that shook people up quite a bit. 6 years later a second copy surfaces and sells for $15,000.

Who knows what the future holds?

Nobody. That's why every new record price in comics is mocked with scorn.

Does anyone know if it was actually paid for? Looking at the final bid in auction houses is fine and all, but knowing if it was PAID for says a lot more.

I'm sure the forumite who sold this book will let us know if he doesn't get paid.

Nick, my point is where do you draw the line as to what is an acceptable price and what isn't?

The line is in a different spot for every person depending on how deep their pockets are and what their perspective of the hobby is.

There are 100's of sales every year where people wretch at prices and they just continue to happen.

When Wolverine Limited #1 in CGC 10.0 sold for $4000 that shook people up quite a bit. 6 years later a second copy surfaces and sells for $15,000.

Relativism.

It's what's for dinner.

At the Delic household.

Every Frickin' day. :golfclap:

Let's not go crazy -- the price is ridiculous. I would never pay it. But it's not the end of the world either nor the collecting world. If the person has the money to spend and wants this "best" copy, then they are obviously willing to pay for it.

Should it happen? Not in my opinion, but I can't buy into "with all the problems in the world" argument Nick, because if we go down that line of logic, we shouldn't be spending any money on comics because it's all too much in relativity to people's more significant problems.

Considering how 90% of the world's population lives, collectors really are a bunch avaricious spoon-bags.

Let's not go crazy -- the price is ridiculous. I would never pay it. But it's not the end of the world either nor the collecting world. If the person has the money to spend and wants this "best" copy, then they are obviously willing to pay for it.

Should it happen? Not in my opinion, but I can't buy into "with all the problems in the world" argument Nick, because if we go down that line of logic, we shouldn't be spending any money on comics because it's all too much in relativity to people's more significant problems.

Brian, do you still have the X-Men 207 9.9? I want to flip it to this guy :wishluck:

Brian, do you still have the X-Men 207 9.9? I want to flip it to this guy :wishluck:

I do. lol

Relativism.

It's what's for dinner.

At the Delic household.

Every Frickin' day. :golfclap:

I know of one or two real objectivists throughout all of history. Rand and Jesus come to mind. Except that Rand was inconsistent in her relationships, so she's out. Jesus broke the laws when it suited his purposes, and he's so complex as to defy simple labels.

I don't know anyone who isn't a relativist to one degree or another. Roy just happens to be more of a relativist than you.

insert old joke about liberals here.

"What's a Liberal?"

"Someone who is to the left of you."