• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the differences between the MU and the DCU?

35 posts in this topic

Keeping in mind that I have no idea what's going on in either universe since the 80's...

DC characters were much more about their powers. Flash was created/resurrected because they thought it would sell to have a character would was the fastest man alive. Green Lantern was created because it was cool to have a guy that could do anything and everything with a special ring. Other characters were similar (Atom, Adam Strange, Hawkman, etc.). They weren't created because the editor thought it would be interesting to explore what it would be like to be the fastest, smallest, strongest hero.

Marvel characters, on the other hand, were all about what it was like to be a person who had powers. What was it like to be a teenage nerd and have powers? Or a blind guy? Or a group of mutant misfits?

Obviously DC eventually tried to catch up to Marvel in terms of flesh out their characters, but somehow they never managed to match Marvels' success with it, imo.

Keeping in mind that I have no idea what's going on in either universe since the 80's...

DC characters were much more about their powers. Flash was created/resurrected because they thought it would sell to have a character would was the fastest man alive. Green Lantern was created because it was cool to have a guy that could do anything and everything with a special ring. Other characters were similar (Atom, Adam Strange, Hawkman, etc.). They weren't created because the editor thought it would be interesting to explore what it would be like to be the fastest, smallest, strongest hero.

Marvel characters, on the other hand, were all about what it was like to be a person who had powers. What was it like to be a teenage nerd and have powers? Or a blind guy? Or a group of mutant misfits?

Obviously DC eventually tried to catch up to Marvel in terms of flesh out their characters, but somehow they never managed to match Marvels' success with it, imo.

You really haven`t missed much(a few crossover events). basically status quo. isn`t that sad?

IMHO, in the DC Universe, the heroes are heroes. Lauded as such, with monuments and statues. Put on pedestals, literally and figuratively.

In the Marvel Universe (at least, #616 :eyeroll: ) the heroes are generally looked down on, the public doesn't trust or respect them. They are not put on pedestals.

One is not necessarily better than the other. But definitely different.

-slym (oh yeah, Marvel has 'mutants' and DC has 'metas.') (thumbs u

For me, DC has always had better "jump on" points... Marvel has 40 years of history you need to know before you can figure out the whys and wherefores of each character's motivation...

Neither company is good at this. DC's history is so convoluted, it's unbelievable. Crisis on Infinite Earths was a good step but Infinite Crisis made a mess of it again (along with 52 & Countdown).

Pat

You really haven`t missed much(a few crossover events). basically status quo. isn`t that sad?

Just because you haven't liked anything doesn't mean that there hasn't been anything good. There are plenty of comics that I've enjoyed in the past 30 years.

Speaking about the companies, and not the respective superhero universes, I've felt for the last few years that Marvel's strength is superheros, whereas DC's strength is everything else. Marvel may trump DC with the hero titles, but DC obviously trumps Marvel with war, western, horror, humor, etc. XTC sang about Sgt. Rock (not Fury). Jonah Hex is becoming a movie (not Kid Colt). And there's no way Marvel could ever have pulled off Vertigo.

Overall, both companies have their strengths and weaknesses.

Just because you haven't liked anything doesn't mean that there hasn't been anything good. There are plenty of comics that I've enjoyed in the past 30 years.

Ok,I will bite, Recommend me the Marvel/DC stuff since 1994 I might enjoy, remember no Vertigo/Independents. This is strictly Marvel/DC Universe. Also leave out Geoff Johns,Morrison and Bendis stuff(I have read thier stuff). I look forward to your recommendations.

;)

As a kid I always thought DC was a joke. I had a special fondness for Superman, but only because of the movies.

One of the things as a kid that I couldn't get past was the number of heroes that had boy, man, girl, woman, etc. in their name. It seemed as if they couldn't come up with any ideas for a cool name so they just stuck that on the end of it. Then you throw in all of the flashes, super people, bat people and it all just seemed so cheesy...as if they couldn't think of anything fresh so they just kept adding to other ideas. You don't see either of those nearly as much in the Marvel universe.

DC had all these universes, multiple earths, and fictional localities...as a kid I just wasn't interested, it was all too much. Daredevil ran around in Hell's Kitchen in New York, and as a kid, thinking about the whole of the Marvel Universe, I knew that at the same time, Spiderman was running around another part of New York, it all just seemed more grounded to me...you could see actual real life landmarks in the panels or covers.

Plus, Marvel had Mutants, the idea was so simple, but at the same time brilliant, it's a joke that DC couldn't come up with it. Had DC created the idea of Mutants and all the baggage that comes with that, we might be talking about the DC Universe as the better of the two.

Now, having said all that, I'm much older now, and most of my titles are DC...go figure.

Ok,I will bite, Recommend me the Marvel/DC stuff since 1994 I might enjoy, remember no Vertigo/Independents. This is strictly Marvel/DC Universe. Also leave out Geoff Johns,Morrison and Bendis stuff(I have read thier stuff). I look forward to your recommendations.

;)

James Robinson's Starman

Jeph Loeb's first 20 issues of Superman/Batman

Paul Dini's Detective Comics run of a year ago

and this might be cheating since it is in the Marvel Ultimate universe...

Mark Millar's The Ultimates vol 1 and 2

Speaking about the companies, and not the respective superhero universes, I've felt for the last few years that Marvel's strength is superheros, whereas DC's strength is everything else. Marvel may trump DC with the hero titles, but DC obviously trumps Marvel with war, western, horror, humor, etc. XTC sang about Sgt. Rock (not Fury). Jonah Hex is becoming a movie (not Kid Colt). And there's no way Marvel could ever have pulled off Vertigo.

Overall, both companies have their strengths and weaknesses.

Remember when a Marvel mouthpiece described Sleepwalker as Sandman done right? HAWHAWHAWHAW! Gasp, Giggle!

I would be interested in seeing an actual total on characters with powers from each universe.

Maybe a spread sheet that shows "born with", "result of radiation", "mechanical enhancements", "magic" or what/not...but I think if someone could do that proper then they should not do it for free.