• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Failed Ebay transaction

148 posts in this topic

I won a full run of Sgt. Fury comics on Ebay last night for what I thought was a great price, about $440 shipped. By seller's description, # 1-20 avg. about VG-, 21-167 avg. about Fine. Seller has 100% feedback, etc.

This morning, I opened my Ebay account to send payment via Paypal, and find the seller had sent an official request through Ebay to cancel the transaction, on the grounds that "his kid got into the comics."

Three other emails are sitting in my inbox from him. Basically, he writes that

"I am soooo sorry... There was like maybe 20 comics salvagabkle out of the lot he litterally wrote on them and tore them up... I am sending you the better ones that are not thrashed #6,7,8,9 and I will be sending you (miscellaneoous other Silver/Bronze books as well) for free. I hope this helps rectify anything or time spent. I am so livid, I had to thropw away most as he had his crayons and he dammaged My detective #27 and I dan't even want to talk about it anymore. Once again I am sorry and you should have these in a few days."

I'm obviously skeptical and think the seller simply didn't want to sell the lot for as cheaply as it went and/or had someone offer him more for it after the lot closed.

Do I have any recourse here? In my ideal world, He'd ship me the ("trashed") run anyway at a substantial discount. Given that some of the books were "2.5s" to begin with and I was excited to have these as readers, I think that's the most reasonable action. Then again, he already "threw some out."

Accept the free books and call it a day? Neg him? What should I do?

just walk away and try to forget it. there's nothing you'll be able to do that will be satisfactory to you when it's all said and done, although if you want to neg him, i suppose you can do that

Let it be, you didn't lose any money and no harm was done. It's little things like this that you shouldn't worry about.

Good advice, even though the story sounds a little fishy. I dont think anyone who actually has a Detective # 27 would leave it within reach of anyone. Just my 2c.

DRX

If it's the same lot I was looking at last night, it was being sold by a board member

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3619483#Post3619483

I've had a couple transactions with Tsiminga, they went very smoothly.

Appears to be a eBay fib.

1. Don't pay

2. File a non-performing seller dispute so he cannot do this over and over and still be a solid ebayer.

3. Leave a neutral or negative feedback with your suspicion that he is a NP Seller.

If it's the same lot I was looking at last night, it was being sold by a board member

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3619483#Post3619483

oh, Jesus.

doh!

Here we go.

Whatever the reason don't neg him. I sold a slab plus two raw books to the same buyer on eBay a month or so ago, and I dropped the slab as I was going to pack it and the bottom completely smashed off. The two raw books went with it and they picked up severe impact damage to the bottom corners.

I refunded his money with a note telling him what had happened saying he could have the books for free. He never responded so I sent them anyway. I would have been livid as hell if he'd negged me.

If you're not out any money I can't even see why you would want to.

oh, Jesus.

doh!

Here we go.

It's too early for this. I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet.

oh, Jesus.

doh!

Here we go.

let it be known i am reserving judgment until i hear tsiminga's side of the story, but "my kid ate my homework" isn't looking so hot to me as an excuse right now (shrug)

Thanks. It was indeed that lot.

Two options here look like Paratrooper's (accept the books and walk away) or CKB's--neg, etc. for breach of contract.

To the seller--if you are a boardie and see this, please PM me your phone number to discuss. If nothing else, I'm curious as to which other lots were trashed, as you had a bunch of good Silver lots sell last night, and I'd love to hear which other ones had to go into the trash as well.

oh, Jesus.

doh!

Here we go.

let it be known i am reserving judgment until i hear tsiminga's side of the story, but "my kid ate my homework" isn't looking so hot to me as an excuse right now (shrug)

Coffee has been ingested - let the games begin.

I haven't had a negative transaction with this seller, but have been bidding and watching his auctions since the late Summer. Nothing negative to say but I have noticed the following pattern.

This could be a coincidence but there have been quite a few auctions that I bid on and got outbid in the final seconds (at relatively low prices) and yet a few weeks later I'll get emails that the auctions are re-listed. I mentioned in one of his threads and he stated the buyer backed out.

I haven't had a negative transaction with this seller, but have been bidding and watching his auctions since the late Summer. Nothing negative to say but I have noticed the following pattern.

This could be a coincidence but there have been quite a few auctions that I bid on and got outbid in the final seconds (at relatively low prices) and yet a few weeks later I'll get emails that the auctions are re-listed. I mentioned in one of his threads and he stated the buyer backed out.

Or is he shilling them at the last second and losing out on the sale?