• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Failed Ebay transaction

148 posts in this topic

I won a full run of Sgt. Fury comics on Ebay last night for what I thought was a great price, about $440 shipped. By seller's description, # 1-20 avg. about VG-, 21-167 avg. about Fine. Seller has 100% feedback, etc.

This morning, I opened my Ebay account to send payment via Paypal, and find the seller had sent an official request through Ebay to cancel the transaction, on the grounds that "his kid got into the comics."

Three other emails are sitting in my inbox from him. Basically, he writes that

"I am soooo sorry... There was like maybe 20 comics salvagabkle out of the lot he litterally wrote on them and tore them up... I am sending you the better ones that are not thrashed #6,7,8,9 and I will be sending you (miscellaneoous other Silver/Bronze books as well) for free. I hope this helps rectify anything or time spent. I am so livid, I had to thropw away most as he had his crayons and he dammaged My detective #27 and I dan't even want to talk about it anymore. Once again I am sorry and you should have these in a few days."

I'm obviously skeptical and think the seller simply didn't want to sell the lot for as cheaply as it went and/or had someone offer him more for it after the lot closed.

Do I have any recourse here? In my ideal world, He'd ship me the ("trashed") run anyway at a substantial discount. Given that some of the books were "2.5s" to begin with and I was excited to have these as readers, I think that's the most reasonable action. Then again, he already "threw some out."

Accept the free books and call it a day? Neg him? What should I do?

(thumbs u Keep on the hunt for the rest, but hey, free is free regardless of his excuse. Better he bags out now than after you've paid.... (shrug)

"I am soooo sorry... There was like maybe 20 comics salvagabkle out of the lot he litterally wrote on them and tore them up...

I've had someone pull this excuse with me before. I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old in my house. All of my books are kept in a locked office and the kids know they aren't supposed to go into that room.

Tec 27?

:roflmao:

Tsimanga has been a reliable boardie in transactions, he may well have a Tec 27, after all he sold a Captain America Comics 1 to Gator - first transaction on the boards I think.

I just doubt he let's his kids anywhere near it.

Tsiminga has been a reliable boardie in transactions, he may well have a Tec 27, after all he sold a Captain America Comics 1 to Gator - first transaction on the boards I think.

I just doubt he let's his kids anywhere near it.

..this should turn out to be the thread of the day im feeling...

I haven't had a negative transaction with this seller, but have been bidding and watching his auctions since the late Summer. Nothing negative to say but I have noticed the following pattern.

This could be a coincidence but there have been quite a few auctions that I bid on and got outbid in the final seconds (at relatively low prices) and yet a few weeks later I'll get emails that the auctions are re-listed. I mentioned in one of his threads and he stated the buyer backed out.

The buyer probably did back out. Happens all the time on Ebay. Tsimanga seems like a stand up guy . Wait and see, personally I think this thread is retarded.

Please note that the following is only MHO and may not agree with your point of view. ;)

Since the seller is a board member I would have PM'd him first. Airing grievances in public can't be recanted and can seriously damage any chance of an amicable out come for either party.

It is odd that the seller would let his kid(s) near his comics, however, no way of knowing 100% if it's factual or not. Sure it sounds out there, but you should hear the stories buyers give me as excuses for paying late (or not at all) - not much different. :eek:

Bottom Line: It's a bummer for certain, but you're not out any cash and you're getting some freebies. The seller apologized. I'd say no harm, no foul. (shrug)

I don't believe the OP realized that the seller was a board member at the time of posting. He came to the boards to relay another story about a bad ebay seller. The sad thing is, it seems that more & more often that these bad ebay sellers are also trusted board members.

Please note that the following is only MHO and may not agree with your point of view. ;)

Since the seller is a board member I would have PM'd him first. Airing grievances in public can't be recanted and can seriously damage any chance of an amicable out come for either party.

It is odd that the seller would let his kid(s) near his comics, however, no way of knowing 100% if it's factual or not. Sure it sounds out there, but you should hear the stories buyers give me as excuses for paying late (or not at all) - not much different. :eek:

Bottom Line: It's a bummer for certain, but you're not out any cash and you're getting some freebies. The seller apologized. I'd say no harm, no foul. (shrug)

To be fair to the OP, he didn't know that Tsimanga is a boardie, and you can't tell from his ebay name

But I'd agree, no harm no foul, and he was offered freebies

I don't believe the OP realized that the seller was a board member at the time of posting. He came to the boards to relay another story about a bad ebay seller. The sad thing is, it seems that more & more often that these bad ebay sellers are also trusted board members.

Gotcha. (thumbs u

Solid advice, Scottish.

I did not know that the seller was a board member when I started the thread this morning.

In fact, I would still be wary of PM'ing him since I don't know and can't verify whether the Ebay seller is in fact "Tsiminga." I have no reason to doubt those who've said he is, but I would not engage in character assassination unless I were absolutely certain.

I'm simply angry because the seller's story sounds so far-fetched, and this is the second time in six months I've had a seller refuse to sell me a lot that arguably sold for under FMV using a far-fetched story as an excuse.

If you're going to sell an expensive lot of comics on Ebay, at least be honorable about it and post it with a reserve price.

Solid advice, Scottish.

I did not know that the seller was a board member when I started the thread this morning.

In fact, I would still be wary of PM'ing him since I don't know and can't verify whether the Ebay seller is in fact "Tsiminga." I have no reason to doubt those who've said he is, but I would not engage in character assassination unless I were absolutely certain.

I'm simply angry because the seller's story sounds so far-fetched, and this is the second time in six months I've had a seller refuse to sell me a lot that arguably sold for under FMV using a far-fetched story as an excuse.

If you're going to sell an expensive lot of comics on Ebay, at least be honorable about it and post it with a reserve price.

Sorry about that - I should have seen that in the thread.

I agree - no way of knowing for certain.

I hear you. :) It can be very frustrating when you are expecting one thing and the opposite happens - no argument there.

Yep! (thumbs u Or if you sell with no reserve then suck it up!

Not cool.

Seller got caught.

Didn't want to sell the books for the auction price realized.

Turned out to be a boardie. Got outed unintentionally...Ooops! Egg on face.

What will seller do now to save face on the boards?

I wait with great aniticipation and :popcorn:

Not cool.

Seller got caught.

I'm guessing he ignores this thread as long as possible.

Not cool.

Seller got caught.

Not everyone is on the Board 20 hours a day.

Not cool.

Seller got caught.

or reads every thread

or starts multiple threads etc

Just a few weeks ago I won 6 auctions from him and they were for great ending prices in my opinion. The books came very well packed and very fast shipping too. Overall I was very pleased with him and had no problems at all.

Sorry to hear about your bad transaction.

Not cool.

Seller got caught.

or reads every thread

or starts multiple threads etc

BUTM, Again YCGFY, you never say anything to me that isn't some sort of insult or jab, so why waste the energy of speaking to me at all. If you have some sort of problem with me, why don't you be so kind as to put it into words and shoot me a PM.

t3quila, I skip HBD threads generally and I've cut back on starting threads significantly.

Why I even bother replying to the two of you is actually eluding me. I don't break any forum rules. I'm only here as often as I am because I like to be here.