• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saddest Comic Moments?

145 posts in this topic

I wish I had a scan of it to illustrate my point, but one of the saddest things I've ever read in a comic book was the "In Memoriam" editorial announcing the end of the EC new trend titles. It was printed on the inside front cover of the last issue in each new trend series. (Crime SuspenStories, Haunt of Fear, Shock SuspenStories, Tales from the Crypt, Vault of Horror)

Dr. Wertham and the anti-comics movement of the 1950's had taken it's toll on EC and forced them to cancel their horror and suspense comics. That editorial is a poignant reminder of what the comic book publishing climate was like at that time. One line from the editorial sticks with me:

"We capitulate, we give up, WE'VE HAD IT!"

Sad indeed.

Well, that was helpful meh

Is it another dog / animal story you mean?

Just start with Battle, and go through War and you'll find it eventually. :baiting:

I think it's "K-9" from War Adventures 4.

That old thing? - I'll have to check it out.

2345.jpg

Here I thought you meant that the Devil-Dog Dugan stories were emotional :insane:

Well, that was helpful meh

Is it another dog / animal story you mean?

Just start with Battle, and go through War and you'll find it eventually. :baiting:

I think it's "K-9" from War Adventures 4.

That old thing? - I'll have to check it out.

2345.jpg

Here I thought you meant that the Devil-Dog Dugan stories were emotional :insane:

I think it's that one, but in the back of my mind I hear a voice saying there's another dog story in a book somewhere. But I'm pretty sure it's K-9.

Zot! #32, when Ronnie sells all his X-men comics to buy Roses for Brandy.

I'd summarize, but everyone should have the complete Zot! TPB on their bookshelf anyway. Get reading!

No contest for me, published a day after Schulz's death...

peanuts.gif

:(

peanuts.gif

That is touching.

I remember the day he died the Toronto Sun Newspaper published a whole page of tributes to him by other cartoonists.

I saved the page

peanuts.gif

In my mind, Charlie Brown is the finest character ever created for the comics.

Thanks for this post Mike.