• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Deadpool overtaken Wolverine in popularity?

54 posts in this topic

Just a fad..think "Spawn"
Just because you dont like it certainly doesnt make it a fad. Spawn has had a longer sequential run than any character mentioned in this thread besides spidey.

Yeah hes popular right now but how long will that last.

maybe another 20 years? :hi: Remember that one time he kicked moonknights azz?

It's probably safe to say that around 1990 - the Punisher was bigger than Wolverine.

Absolutely. He was all the rage with multiple titles and more crossovers than a Transvestite party on Halloween.

:grin:

Heck, who didn't the Punisher have a crossover story with? Maybe Liberace?

If Deadpool would've been hotter in the 90s we would've seen Deadpool 2099. I want to know when Gideon is going to become the big star he deserves to be? Ever seen a description of that guy's powers? He could totally be the top dawg in Apocalypse's Dark Riders.

It's probably safe to say that around 1990 - the Punisher was bigger than Wolverine.

Absolutely. He was all the rage with multiple titles and more crossovers than a Transvestite party on Halloween.

This issue says it all doh!

archie-punisher-1.jpg

This issue says it all doh!

archie-punisher-1.jpg

And you had insufficiently_thoughtful_persons (me included) buying every Punisher appearance when they were coming out. At one point, I had every comic book appearance of Punisher except one. This includes everything up until '92 or '93. doh!

Marvel killed him with the over exposure.

If Deadpool would've been hotter in the 90s we would've seen Deadpool 2099. I want to know when Gideon is going to become the big star he deserves to be? Ever seen a description of that guy's powers? He could totally be the top dawg in Apocalypse's Dark Riders.

Already happened in Age of Apocalypse. Man I need to research obscure characters a little more in depth before I blab off about them.

I feel the collecting community is always on the search for and has a need for the next "Big Key", that book and it's charecter will survive the "fad" populace and root itself and create a very real niche,as all collectors are after "keys", which NM 98 is either becoming or has already become, so I believe this charecter is the next big thing to hit comicdom. While Hulk 181 has established itself in the community, Wolverine didn't just hit the ground running and Wolverine was just about written out of the X-Men book and cast aside and Deadpools rise and staying power do greatly resemble the timeline and trails of Wolverine, who behind Spidey very well maybe the # 2 dog in the MU.

i think the best way to tell how popular a character is is by non regular readers. my mom knows who wolverine is, spiderman is etc etc. i doubt you could find anyone who dosent read comics, that could pick deadpool out of a police line up

Just because you dont like it certainly doesnt make it a fad. Spawn has had a longer sequential run than any character mentioned in this thread besides spidey.

Fad probably isn't the right word but I think that Deadpool is the latest in a long line of "hot" characters who ride a wave of popularity and have it fade to varying levels of stability. Punisher, Ghost Rider, Venom, Gambit, etc are all characters that have seen their popularity highs fade and Deadpool will probably follow after a while. I'm not dissing the characters, Punisher, Ghost Rider and Gambit are favourites fo mine.

On the other hand, Wolverine has enjoyed a long lasting popularty that few characters ever get and has become Marvels second biggest property. Over exposure and some really bad stories haven't affected his popularity that hugely.

I dunno they both came out about the same year and Deadpool still seems to have much more interest then Spawn or Todd McFarlane does. They faded a long time ago while Deadpool continues to get hot.

Yeah, but Deadpool didn't get his real popularity boost until recently. It's almost certain to fade after a while. I'm not saying that he won't be popular but his being "flavour of the month" won't last for ever. If Marvel are planning to go ahead with a Deadpool movie then they should strike while the iron's hot.

I can`t remember a superhero character who got more popular later in his career then Deadpool, usually a character starts out hot, then fades, Deadpool is the exact opposite. very unusual to become more popular almost 2 decades later.

Talk to Green Lantern. SC 22 is only now growing popular and in-demand after HOW MANY decades of hiding in obscurity? lol

Nearly five?

No, in all honesty, this really isn't that surprising. I mean, there are a handful of characters from the late 60s and 70s of Marvel who find a resurgence in popularity only to die back down again. I'd be surprised to see where Deadpool lands ten years from now. Consider Wolverine has been around since the 70s and is STILL making hundreds of millions for Marvel?

It's like comparing SC 22 to AF 15. Flash in the pan over extended, proven track record. Both are important and relevant, but one will maintain it's performance where the other will settle back down again.

2c

Showcase 22 has always been a pretty expensive and key book.

Silver age Green Lanterns were often some of the most expensive SA DCs out there at least if you take some random issue from, let's say, 1963 and compare prices between GL and Superman, for example.

I'm not a big deadpool fan but I must admit that he has something quite special. INMO he stole the wolverine movie and with one of his own in the pipework the believe that only comic readers lnow who is may change. I don't think he will ever become more popular than Wolvie but I personally can't see this as a simple fad in the way other characters have been, but what do i know.

Silver age Green Lanterns were often some of the most expensive SA DCs out there at least if you take some random issue from, let's say, 1963 and compare prices between GL and Superman, for example.

True but the prices on GL books now compared to just two years ago is shocking. As far as Deadpool... I could care less about him personally and I don't see why he's so popular at all... seems like a rather thin and shallow character if you ask me...

True but the prices on GL books now compared to just two years ago is shocking. As far as Deadpool... I could care less about him personally and I don't see why he's so popular at all... seems like a rather thin and shallow character if you ask me...

I think a lot of his popularity has to do with the characters off-the-wall personality. He has no filter and says things many of us wish we could but social convention keeps up from actually saying. Of course, this character trait really only works when well written. The wrong writer can make you want to punch yourself in the face over it.

i think the best way to tell how popular a character is is by non regular readers. my mom knows who wolverine is, spiderman is etc etc. i doubt you could find anyone who dosent read comics, that could pick deadpool out of a police line up

For now my friend, ask that same question in a few years after the Ryan Reynolds/Deadpool movie.ask non-readers who Tony Stark/Ironman was a few years ago and they say Tony who?