• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

I picked up the Brother at Office Depot for about $450 brand new, as I recall. And as it is an all-in-one laser printer that does a really nice job for both scanning and printing it has worked out well for me. It isn't tiny, but it takes up less room than two separate units would.

So, a recap on viable legal size printers:

Microtek i800

HP 7410 All-In-One

HP 7780 All-In-One

Brother MFC-8480DN

HP SCANJET 4000

The HP Scanjet 8300 is also a quality scanner that will fit CGC books.

Does it scan slabs clearly? And could you post a sample!

When did HP change the scanning format? Looks like somewhere between the 7780 and the 8500.

Not sure about the "format" Andrew, unless you are referring to the depth of field problem that many newer HPs seem to have. I recommended one to a Boardie about a year ago, and I believe he purchased a 7900 series AIO, except his couldn't scan slabs properly because of the depth of field issue.

Basically, the scanner eye focuses on the ridged outer edge of the CGC slab (because that's the part of the slab that lies flat on the glass and is actually closest to the scanning mechanism), and not on the actual image of the comic, which appears blurry and distorted in the scan. Just that fraction of an inch forces the comic to be treated as "background" by the scanner. Really crappy issue to see on a $350+ AIO, but then again, the scanner manufacturers probably never envisioned anything other then perfectly flat objects being scanned.

When did HP change the scanning format? Looks like somewhere between the 7780 and the 8500.

Not sure about the "format" Andrew, unless you are referring to the depth of field problem that many newer HPs seem to have. I recommended one to a Boardie about a year ago, and I believe he purchased a 7900 series AIO, except his couldn't scan slabs properly because of the depth of field issue.

Basically, the scanner eye focuses on the ridged outer edge of the CGC slab (because that's the part of the slab that lies flat on the glass and is actually closest to the scanning mechanism), and not on the actual image of the comic, which appears blurry and distorted in the scan. Just that fraction of an inch forces the comic to be treated as "background" by the scanner. Really crappy issue to see on a $350+ AIO, but then again, the scanner manufacturers probably never envisioned anything other then perfectly flat objects being scanned.

(thumbs u That's exactly what I am referring to. So if the 7900 is the newer, crappier result, either the 7700(as shown with the 7780) or the 7800 models would be the last that scanned properly. It would be nice to narrow it down to the specific model if we can.

I've currently got an 8250 and the only problem is that if the inner well has any curvature to it, that glare shows up.

I think all scanners have that problem. I know mine does. Sometimes flipping the slab and scanning it opposite of the way you normally scan will help with that.

So, a recap on viable legal size printers scanners:

Microtek i800

HP 7410 All-In-One

HP 7780 All-In-One

Brother MFC-8480DN

HP SCANJET 4000

HP Scanjet 8200 works great and you can pick one up on ebay cheap.

I don't know most of the HP scans look washed out. Even when there is no glare. If I needed a new scanner I'd go with one of the expensive Epson 10000 XL (used of course) or the Microtek i800. Again the HP scans, all of them, just look completely washed out to me.