• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

For those that have a Microtek ScanMaker i800, can you share the settings you use to scan slabs? It would very much appreciated. :applause:

Thanks

Phil

I recently picked up a previously owned Epson Expression 836 XL. It is from 2005 I believe and uses a SCSI card. Here are the results at 300dpi with descreening in Office Mode; no resize in Photobucket....

img007006-1.jpg

I actually found an HP Scanjet 8300 on kijiji today for $100!!

Still available for sale at $500 on hp.com so will work fine on Windows 7.

Going to pick her up tomorrow morning before someone else scoops it up. :acclaim:

Picked it up and tried out my first scan. Picasa auto fix setting looks pretty natural to me. Not much I can do about the reflection under Man Wolf.

ASM001c.jpg

Going to pick her up tomorrow morning before someone else scoops it up. :acclaim:

Picked it up and tried out my first scan. Picasa auto fix setting looks pretty natural to me. Not much I can do about the reflection under Man Wolf.

Nice scan! Those reflections are off of the inner well and there is nothing that can be done. I have had some success scanning the slab in the other direction (like bottom to top instead of top to bottom) and that will sometimes minimize a problematic inner well reflection.

Looks great.

You can put a large piece of white over the slab and scan it with the lid open.

Press down firmly on the back of the slab while scanning and you can get rid of the reflection thingy in the scan.

Yes, you are slighty bending the case to get rid of the rainbow.

well I'm glad it was free then,..I did use 150 ebay bucks to get it though,...if anyone wants it I'll sell it to them cheap, ....

can anyone point me in the direction of a good legal size scanner under $500.00 bucks or less?

I have a Microtek i800, and was considering upgrading the operating system on my iMac to Mac OS X Lion, but it doesn't look like Microtek has a driver for it. Is anyone running an i800 off Lion?

I am. I've been using Vuescan instead of Microtek's software. It's disappointing that Microtek is so slow with their updates, but I think the scans are better with Vuescan.

VueScan

I have a Microtek i800, and was considering upgrading the operating system on my iMac to Mac OS X Lion, but it doesn't look like Microtek has a driver for it. Is anyone running an i800 off Lion?

I am. I've been using Vuescan instead of Microtek's software. It's disappointing that Microtek is so slow with their updates, but I think the scans are better with Vuescan.

VueScan

I think I downloaded that a while back. I'll take a look when I get home. Thanks! (thumbs u

Hi all, I have read this topic several times, looked up availablity of all the scanners mentioned and also looking for the most affordable scanner that seemed to get some of the best results. I ended up buying a Scanjet proffesional 8300 for $92 including shipping off of eBay. Here is a test scan using stock setting at 300 DPI, no enhancements. I am using it on Windows 7 but is also suppose to be compatible with Vista and XP.

scan0001.jpg

I took Jive's advice and went with a HP L7780 All-in-one of ebay. The first one I ordered was terribly packed was basically DOA. Not Dead On Arrival, but rather Destroyed On Arrival. After a second try I got one that arrived mostly in one piece, except for a broken duplexer. I replaced the duplexer and finally got it set up and working today, wireless and everything. Here's my first scan:

WeirdScienceFantasy29SigCGC70.jpg

Edited by Theagenes

So are all these older scanners off of ebay?

I'd like to just go to the store and buy a wireless printer/legal scanner that works well. Are there any like that out there?

The problem, from what I understand, is that the newest scanners don't have the depth of field that the older scanners do and so they focus on the plastic of the slab that toughes the glass rather than the book that's actually a few millimeters above the glass.

Thanks,

so I need to buy an old piece of technology to finally scan my slabs :lol:

oh the injustice of it all.....

guess I'll just keep put up traced images in my sales threads in the future.

Bringing this thread to the front page, hoping for some updated answers...

I'm going to be picking up a new legal-sized scanner soon, and I rarely - if ever - scan anything other than comics anymore. I've purchased plenty of scanners in my life, so it's nothing new to me - but I thought I would get some input from people who scan slabs about suggestions. My price range is going to be $150-$250, I'm not interested in a cheapo scanner, but not looking for a pro one, either.

My biggest issue/question would be: being able to scan a slab without the book appearing blurry. Had some recommendations earlier in the thread for the HP 8250 to take care of this - is this still what people are suggesting? Or is there another one out there?

It looks like the 8250 isn't made anymore, and carrying obsolete premium pricing now...