• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

Holy , how many scanner threads in this place? I was told to go to this one from the grading section.

:mad::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek:

Sorry, guys.

Actually, my post was the only relevant one.... it explains why the HP 8500 sucks (for scans).

Edited by sckao

I've got a HP 7500 3-in-1 that I am not a big fan of, but I'm going to try this software recommended on another thread and see if it improves. I can't believe the amount of noise these things produce nowadays.

I've got a HP 7500 3-in-1 that I am not a big fan of, but I'm going to try this software recommended on another thread and see if it improves. I can't believe the amount of noise these things produce nowadays.

The software did nothing for my scanner. :facepalm:

I did a comparison between vuescan and my scanner software and found that vuescan produced a truer image to the book. My scanner software was good but maybe too good -- it cleaned up the image so it looked great, but didn't produce as good an image for grading purposes. Particularly it made white areas too white and colors brighter.

When I post my first sale thread, I'll probably use vuescan for the scanning. Thanks to people for turning me on to it.

I did a comparison between vuescan and my scanner software and found that vuescan produced a truer image to the book. My scanner software was good but maybe too good -- it cleaned up the image so it looked great, but didn't produce as good an image for grading purposes. Particularly it made white areas too white and colors brighter.

When I post my first sale thread, I'll probably use vuescan for the scanning. Thanks to people for turning me on to it.

I should say - I used vuescan for scanning slabs, and despite dinking with it for nearly an hour, I could not get it to produce a non-blurry scan on my 7500 - I'm sure it would be more than acceptable for raw books. It does have a lot of useful add ons for $40.

Hi all, I have read this topic several times, looked up availablity of all the scanners mentioned and also looking for the most affordable scanner that seemed to get some of the best results. I ended up buying a Scanjet proffesional 8300 for $92 including shipping off of eBay. Here is a test scan using stock setting at 300 DPI, no enhancements. I am using it on Windows 7 but is also suppose to be compatible with Vista and XP.

scan0001.jpg

After reading this thread multiple times (and really considering the Microtek i800), I realized that I'm extremely cheap and ultimately just want something to give me better than average scans of my slabs. This Scanjet 8300 image looks incredibly nice with little glare, so I'm going for it. I also found it online for $92 shipped, so I'll hopefully (finally) have the ability to scan my slabs within a week! I'll plan to share a couple of scans once I get it.

Hi all, I have read this topic several times, looked up availablity of all the scanners mentioned and also looking for the most affordable scanner that seemed to get some of the best results. I ended up buying a Scanjet proffesional 8300 for $92 including shipping off of eBay. Here is a test scan using stock setting at 300 DPI, no enhancements. I am using it on Windows 7 but is also suppose to be compatible with Vista and XP.

scan0001.jpg

After reading this thread multiple times (and really considering the Microtek i800), I realized that I'm extremely cheap and ultimately just want something to give me better than average scans of my slabs. This Scanjet 8300 image looks incredibly nice with little glare, so I'm going for it. I also found it online for $92 shipped, so I'll hopefully (finally) have the ability to scan my slabs within a week! I'll plan to share a couple of scans once I get it.

I just recently bought an 8300 and love it! There were a few slabs which did show glare for some reason or other, but most of them came out great.