• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

After a ton of research and some help from this thread I picked up a HP 8300 off ebay last week. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the scans.

Here's a scan:

IncredibleHulk1CGC25CrOw.jpg

i'M USING AN hp 8300 ALSO. i'M REASONABLY HAPPY WITH IT. i STILL GET A GOOD AMOUNT OF GLARE ON SOME AND ON SOME NONE. iT LOOKS LIKE IT IS THE INNER LINER TO ME INSIDE THE SLAB. aNYBODY KNOW OF A WAY TO CORRECT THIS?

I've said this before, but I found a very reliable legal size scanner at a local Goodwill / Thrift shop just over a year ago.

Actually I found 2... both identical although one was used and the other, new in the box. For the both of them, I think I paid under $15.00.

Microtek ScanMaker E3 Plus (Parallel Port Interface)

And a sample...

I used to have a Microtek ScanMaker X12USL which I absolutely loved. The problem was that I upgraded to windows Vista and the scanner was no longer compatible. I emailed the company a few times with no response for two weeks. When they finally e-mailed me back, all they told me was that they would not be creating new drivers to support the scanner.

I asked if there were any alternatives and they told me to go back to using Windows XP. :tonofbricks:

I vowed never to use another Microtek scanner.

I use Windows 7 Premium... I have a newer Epson all-in-one hooked up via USB and then I have the large Microtek hooked up through the Parallel Port.

I'm using an older version of Adobe Photoshop (7.0 :eek: ) and I can use the 'Import' utility to access the scanner that way.

Works perfectly everytime! :)

Just saw that HP has a new legal size scanner, the 7500a. Is it any good for scanning slabs? Thanks.

No new scanner less than $1500 is going to be any good for scanning slabs. Thats' because they all use CIS (Contact Image Sensor) technology. Using CIS technology is cheaper and lets the manufacturer make it smaller. But CIS sucks at slabs as it has no depth of field. If what is being scanned isn't flat against the glass the image quality will be poor.

To scan slabs you need a scanner that uses CCD (charge coupled device) technology. CCD's have much better depth of field functioning more like a camera lense. CCD was the technology nearly all scanners used 10+ years ago. So in this case new is only cheaper- old is better.

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 scanners can be found used on ebay. These are all large format scanners. They were made for years and the later ones often have USB ports. You can get around most driver problems by just using the Windows scan utility (camera/scanner wizard) built into windows. They are rugged and last forever. If you get a USB model you should be able to install it on virtually any version of Windows. While sellers BIN prices tend to be high, when sold at actual auction they often go for around $100. Expect another $30 on shipping because they weigh like 30 pounds.

This is the way to go. Epson does a line of Action Scan scanners with CCD but they start around $1500. I don't think HP has anything less than 2K

Tony, this is really great info!

I did a little digging around and found this scanner on Amazon:

Epson GT-20000 Wide Format Document Scanner

It was originally $1500 like you said but it's marked down to $1081 on Amazon with free shipping. It's a CCD scanner and it scans pages as large as 11.7" x 17". Pretty decent reviews too. Definitely a lot more than I was planning on spending but it may be a worthwhile investment if I ever plan on scanning some of my OA in addition to any slabs.

What do you think?

Has anyone used the Epson perfection v330 for scanning slabs?

It's not legal sized, but seems to be the cheapest 'new' scanner that uses CCD technology.

Would be good to hear positive feedback before I pull the trigger on one. :wishluck:

So the Ebay Hp 8300 arrived today, only weird thing about it is that after scanning the "roller" (not sure what it's called) gets stuck and makes a loud obnoxious sound. Only when the lid/cover is closed. If I scan while the lid/cover is open it scans with no problem. doh! Not sure if I should return it or not. (shrug)

Scanned at 300 Dpi

scan0001.jpg

Edited by Wayne Enterprises

So the Ebay Hp 8300 arrived today, only weird thing about it is that after scanning the "roller" (not sure what it's called) gets stuck and makes a loud obnoxious sound. Only when the lid/cover is closed. If I scan while the lid/cover is open it scans with no problem. doh! Not sure if I should return it or not. (shrug)

Scanned at 300 Dpi

scan0001.jpg

The scanner is loud, not sure what you mean by "stuck" tho. I would normally scan with the lid down, tho.

If you can shoot a mini video with your phone and post it to YouTube I can tell you if it looks normal to me. (shrug)