• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

That doesn't sound normal :eek:

It sounds like tiny construction workers are inside jack hammering a scan from stone.

Sounds like the belt or the sprockets that move the scanning mechanism is going bad. I would return the scanner. It may work now but I don't think it will for too much longer. I deal with these sorts of devices in my work environment and there is something in the guts that needs replacing.

I had the same problem as the OP with an HP 6300c, an older scanner than yours.

It was if the 9x13 (or whatever glass size) scanner, thought it was a 9 x 18 (or whatever glass size) scanner. The light seemed to try to move to the 18 inch position and the motor whirled loudly as it tried and failed.

Thought it might be a driver issue.

Although I am not familiar with this specific model of scanner, I suspect that once the lid is closed, something is engaged (a lever or contact of some sort) that is causing the problem.

I guess the decision to return it is yours, but for $70 I would not want to hear that noise every time I scanned something. Also, I still think that it is just a matter of time before something gives and you end up with a boat anchor.

It was if the 9x13 (or whatever glass size) scanner, thought it was a 9 x 18 (or whatever glass size) scanner. The light seemed to try to move to the 18 inch position and the motor whirled loudly as it tried and failed.

I use VueScan on my HP 8200 and if the software has to "warm the lamp" after closing the software I sometimes get that grinding noise. Definitely software based problem. I have to shut off the scanner to reset it. Not sure if that's your problem, just saying it's not always hardware.

BTW, I'm a BIG fan of VueScan---got the recommendation here years ago. It is scanner/driver INDEPENDENT. No need for that bloated software that comes with your scanner. Lots of tweaks possible. I've tweaked mine to my personal perfection tastes.

weirdwartales_15_cgc_9.6_oww_0768410015_mass_a.jpg

After 8 years on the boards, I finally own a scanner that will fit a slab (as of last week). For $100, I picked up a refurbish HP 7410 AIl-In-One, and I'm pleased with it so far.

I could no longer take the years of humiliation, mockery, and shame. Now I get to finally sell slabs on the board like a pro! :banana:

CLICK PICTURE.

I took video of mine too!

Yeah, that sounds pure evil. What I was referring to was when the lamp warms up, it would scan beyond the parameters of the bed and you would get that same noise, just slightly less evil. :)

So I just hooked up an HP 7400C that I got off of Kijiji for FREE. The lady that gave it to me received it for free and for the Feng Shui to continue in her home office she returned the favor. The software she used was no longer available for Windows 7 so she upgraded both her scanner and software. Here are the results:

X-Men #4: imported with Windows Fax and Scan and using Office 2010 Auto-correct

x4.jpg

GSX #1: imported and auto-corrected with Paint.NET (freeware)

gsx1b.jpg

The glare was only apparent on the GSX 1 because of the thicker case - I am very pleased with the scans. Now I need to scan over 100 books :o

UPDATE: I sent a message to the seller I bought the scanner from on ebay, I told him about the scanners problem as well as the video and he stated " a gear must have been displaced in shipping". He also said that he's sorry and that he's going to refund me the money and that I could keep the scanner! ^^

UPDATE: I sent a message to the seller I bought the scanner from on ebay, I told him about the scanners problem as well as the video and he stated " a gear must have been displaced in shipping". He also said that he's sorry and that he's going to refund me the money and that I could keep the scanner! ^^

Wow. That's customer service. Probably easier to let you keep it than to deal with the shipping charge back.

:bump:

Hey gang, I did this a couple of years ago but things have changed a lot with scanner technology so I decided to start a new thread to help locate which scanners make the best scans for CGC slabs.

If you own a scanner with a legal size platen can you post a few examples of what your scanner can do, the make and model of the scanner and how you adjusted the scan to compensate for any problems?

I'll include a few different slab thicknesses for variety.

This is mine made with an HP 8250, no adjustments made to the pics, USB port and taken at either 300 or 600 dpi. Windows XP operating system, Mozilla upload to photobucket. Oh yeah, two burritos for breakfast with yogurt and pickles. :insane:

BB.jpg

DD1319_6.jpg

MarvelMysteryComics9CGC5_0-2.jpg

This is exactly the same scan at 600dpi but it's been "auto enhanced".

MarvelMysteryComics9CGC5_0.jpg

I use VueScan on my HP 8200 and if the software has to "warm the lamp" after closing the software I sometimes get that grinding noise. Definitely software based problem. I have to shut off the scanner to reset it. Not sure if that's your problem, just saying it's not always hardware.

BTW, I'm a BIG fan of VueScan---got the recommendation here years ago. It is scanner/driver INDEPENDENT. No need for that bloated software that comes with your scanner. Lots of tweaks possible. I've tweaked mine to my personal perfection tastes.

weirdwartales_15_cgc_9.6_oww_0768410015_mass_a.jpg

I agree, the only way I could get my ScanMaker x12 to work with my Mac (thumbs u