• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

Bought a used hp 8250 to scan my slabs from eBay, no software included so went online and downloaded the driver for Windows 8.1. The scanner acted like it was going to work since the scanner light up and moved to the other side but it slammed hard and continued to make some weird nose like the scan head couldn't move on its other axis (if it does have another axis), I tried to download different software for older Windows versions since there isn't any 8.1. Seems like it's a hardware issue but wanted to see if anyone had this problem before I go "office space" on it

I just transitioned to windows 8.1 for my office. We lost 5 of 8 printers I the process. The only reason we did not lose another is that we still have 1 windows 7 machine and my OLD 8100dn will fu ction from it.

That was a 3000+ printer when I got it over a decade ago. It is a beast. Would hatemto discard that one as well

Edited by jmg3637

Bought a used hp 8250 to scan my slabs from eBay, no software included so went online and downloaded the driver for Windows 8.1. The scanner acted like it was going to work since the scanner light up and moved to the other side but it slammed hard and continued to make some weird nose like the scan head couldn't move on its other axis (if it does have another axis), I tried to download different software for older Windows versions since there isn't any 8.1. Seems like it's a hardware issue but wanted to see if anyone had this problem before I go "office space" on it

I'm not running 8.1, but I downloaded the generic 8200 driver and it works fine. I'm not a big techie guy, so I can't offer any advice. Any chance of setting up a profile with an older Windows version...?

I'm not running 8.1, but I downloaded the generic 8200 driver and it works fine. I'm not a big techie guy, so I can't offer any advice. Any chance of setting up a profile with an older Windows version...?

I'm going to try to use an old laptop with Vista on it, hopefully that will work. All the noise in the scanner worried me but hopefully it's just a software issue.

Thanks for the reply guys

Did you download the drivers from the official HP website?? .. if not, this is the portal page for the link you'll need to install 8.1 drivers for your HP8250 (the link shows both 64 and 32bit drivers for Win 8.1, just choose which version you need (64bit, probably; as its doubtful you'll be using 32bit on an Win 8.1 install) ...

HP 8.1 drivers for HP8250 Scanner

Edited by Kenners

This happens to me about one time in ten that I try to scan. Oddly it happens much more when I scan at the default resolution then when I scan at high res.

.. just get the proper drivers.

I had the proper drivers for the HP 8300. However, every few scans, either the software would lock up, or the scanner would stop scanning about 1/2 way through.

I got VueScan and have never had a problem since.

I saw somewhere that an HP 8200 was recommended. I finally got the eBay seller to answer and she said the flatbed was only 11 x 8.5.

Is the 8250 the larger size in the series? I have a very old G4010 that does OK, but of course the entire slab does not fit...and it's pretty slow.

I saw somewhere that an HP 8200 was recommended. I finally got the eBay seller to answer and she said the flatbed was only 11 x 8.5.

Is the 8250 the larger size in the series? I have a very old G4010 that does OK, but of course the entire slab does not fit...and it's pretty slow.

Looking at the specs on Amazon and they have the same 8.5 x 14 scan area, the only thing I saw different was the 8250 had the auto feeder on top. (shrug)

Hi Sharon

I just purchased off eBay an HP Scanjet 8300. I built myself a new PC and installed Windows 7, then discovered that drivers for my old scanner (a Microtek Scanmaker 9700) were not available for anything past Windows XP. There are software work around solutions for such. A dual boot configuration or a virtual machine - with an XP installation. But that was more fuss than I cared for. So I purchased the HP 8300.

When I first got the HP Scanner, I was a little disappointed. The Microtek can scan items 12"x17" in size. I knew the HP could only do 11 x 14 - but that was big enough for slabs. But I assumed that if the scan bed was smaller the scanner would be too. Imagine my surprise to find the HP 8300 was actually a tiny bit bigger than the Microtek.

The slight disappointment went away with my first few scans. The HP, without any adjustments or tweaking, was giving me superior scans of slabbed books. Even that "other company's" slab - which often had a bit of distortion at the top and/or bottom with the Microtek - looked clear and sharp. Perhaps if I had spent hours figuring first how to - and then calibrating - the Microtek I would have had scans just as good. But the HP's scans were great right out of the box.

I paid about $100 on eBay including shipping. The seller I got it from seems to have a bunch from the State Dept and the last several have sold for less than I paid (typical for me lol). Here is a link to their current auction. They have been relisting the item over and over for at least a couple of months. They sell one, then list another.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171357492785

Hi Sharon,

The scanning area for the HP 8250 I have is 9"W x 14.25"L.

Looking at the specs on Amazon and they have the same 8.5 x 14 scan area, the only thing I saw different was the 8250 had the auto feeder on top. (shrug)

Thanks, maybe she made an error.

Hi Sharon,

The scanning area for the HP 8250 I have is 9"W x 14.25"L.

Thanks Royce, I hope you are feeling better!

Hi Sharon

I just purchased off eBay an HP Scanjet 8300. I built myself a new PC and installed Windows 7, then discovered that drivers for my old scanner (a Microtek Scanmaker 9700) were not available for anything past Windows XP. There are software work around solutions for such. A dual boot configuration or a virtual machine - with an XP installation. But that was more fuss than I cared for. So I purchased the HP 8300.

When I first got the HP Scanner, I was a little disappointed. The Microtek can scan items 12"x17" in size. I knew the HP could only do 11 x 14 - but that was big enough for slabs. But I assumed that if the scan bed was smaller the scanner would be too. Imagine my surprise to find the HP 8300 was actually a tiny bit bigger than the Microtek.

The slight disappointment went away with my first few scans. The HP, without any adjustments or tweaking, was giving me superior scans of slabbed books. Even that "other company's" slab - which often had a bit of distortion at the top and/or bottom with the Microtek - looked clear and sharp. Perhaps if I had spent hours figuring first how to - and then calibrating - the Microtek I would have had scans just as good. But the HP's scans were great right out of the box.

I paid about $100 on eBay including shipping. The seller I got it from seems to have a bunch from the State Dept and the last several have sold for less than I paid (typical for me lol). Here is a link to their current auction. They have been relisting the item over and over for at least a couple of months. They sell one, then list another.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171357492785

I'm so glad you posted, Tony ...because I had a Microtek on watch and I have windows 7. I'm OK with software, but I doubt I could ghost a machine without spending a week figuring it out;)

I'm going to be bidding on that 8300 auction...after I go visit a bunch of Good Wills later. My brother in law, said he picked one up there:)

So, I know AIOs are not ideal for scanning slabs, but I don't have room for an extra scanner at the moment. In reading through recent posts, I notice that a few people have had some success using the HP8600. Is this the best of the current AIOs on the market for scanning slabs?