• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

I received my refurbished 8300 this evening and have been tinkering with it.

I hooked it all up and downloaded the latest drivers, software, firmware update, and additional updates from HP's driver page and this is the result.

ThiefofThieves_zps978978cf.jpg

Excellent! (thumbs u

Do any of these scan faster than the others? Or do any of these things take forever to scan a slab? Just thinking I will be scanning 100+ books at a time fairly soon and this will be a definite factor.

If it matters I will be running Windows 7.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200?? (may not be legal size)

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

Edited by Pike's Comics

I have the HP 8300 and it scans very fast! I haven't timed it, but I would guess it takes about 8 seconds to scan one side of a CGC case. Figure 20 seconds to scan both sides of the case. This does not take into account the time to properly crop and save the final scanned image.

.. and if you download the full driver pack from HP, it'll take even longer.

The basic drivers produce a good scan, but you have more options for image-editing with the full 'pack .. it does slow the speed down though (not to a crawl, but .. its worth mentioning).

Saw a used HP Scanjet 3400C (CCD based scanner) today for 3 bucks but didn't pick it up as I googled it and saw that there's no support for Mac beyond OS10.5.

Vuescan says it supports it up to Win 7.

Anyone had luck with this one on Mac OS X mavericks?

PS: I know it was only 3 bucks but didn't want it to end up sitting there unused!

Edited by Shawn Low

Is anyone familiar with the Lexmark 7550? There's one on my local Graigslist for $20.

Mike

This scanner uses CIS tech, which will not scan a slab well. You want a scanner that uses CCD tech.

Sadly, affordable CCD scanners have not been made in about 2-3 years. You will need to find a used one on eBay, etc.

Is vuescan software bette the software that comes with a machine?

If so how?

I have the HP 8600 Office Jet Pro. Of course as a newer AIO this has the CIS technology

It's better for scanners such as the HP 8300 where HP has stopped updating the drivers for Macs. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

Couple of quick questions:

1. Is the HP 8250 still considered one of the very best for scanning slabs? I have Windows 7 (not Mac).

2. Is the HP 8250 also good for scanning raw comics?

Thank you very much.

1. yes (all the 82xx and 83xx models are very good).

2. yes.

Couple of quick questions:

1. Is the HP 8250 still considered one of the very best for scanning slabs? I have Windows 7 (not Mac).

2. Is the HP 8250 also good for scanning raw comics?

Thank you very much.

1. yes (all the 82xx and 83xx models are very good).

2. yes.

Thank you! (thumbs u

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing an 11x17 scanner. Likely a Mustek A3, anyone here have any experience with it? Or recommeend a brand?

Primary purpose will be scanning artwork.

I had one. Slow as can be, but really high quality images for the price point.

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing an 11x17 scanner. Likely a Mustek A3, anyone here have any experience with it? Or recommeend a brand?

Primary purpose will be scanning artwork.

I had one. Slow as can be, but really high quality images for the price point.

Thanks!. While speed would be nice if it takes a minute to scan a single page I won't care.

After a couple of weeks doing research I decided to BIN on a refurbished HP 8300 for $117 shipped.

The seller has 20 more available in case anyone else is looking!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Professional-Desktop-Color-Scanner-Scanjet-8300-USB-Film-Adapter-TMA-/310992351180?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item486896afcc

When I receive it I'll install HPs Windows 7 Drivers and/or VueScan and give it a go! I'm also going to try and use that "Extreme Mode" I read about here.

Any tips are appreciated in regards to software!

I just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. I bought an 8300 from the seller in the link you provided and within a couple of days it was at my door.

I scanned my Mile High II copy of Tales of Suspense #89, it was very fast and it made a beautiful scan of the slab. Thanks again.

tos89_zps399b4a40.jpg

.. just get the proper drivers.

I had the proper drivers for the HP 8300. However, every few scans, either the software would lock up, or the scanner would stop scanning about 1/2 way through.

I got VueScan and have never had a problem since.

Hello!

I just brought a HP 300 because all of the comments here. But I got the same problem as Kaptain here but using VueScan do the same thing :(

I can only scan once. The first time it scan 50% of the image, I wait like 30 seconds then the rest show. Then when I want to scan another image it simply stop arounf 50% again and bug and I must restart the computer.

I got the latest drivers from the HP site. Anybody got an idea here ??? Thanks!