• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

Maybe try reloading the firmware (shrug) Worked for me. I just bought one from the same ebay seller that was linked a couple of posts up. Not a great packaging job, but the scanner arrived quickly. Had to use a PC laptop to download the HP firmware update and then reload that onto the scanner. Then purchased VueScan as I'm using a Macbook pro running Mavericks.

Works like a charm now.

.. just get the proper drivers.

I had the proper drivers for the HP 8300. However, every few scans, either the software would lock up, or the scanner would stop scanning about 1/2 way through.

I got VueScan and have never had a problem since.

Hello!

I just brought a HP 300 because all of the comments here. But I got the same problem as Kaptain here but using VueScan do the same thing :(

I can only scan once. The first time it scan 50% of the image, I wait like 30 seconds then the rest show. Then when I want to scan another image it simply stop arounf 50% again and bug and I must restart the computer.

I got the latest drivers from the HP site. Anybody got an idea here ??? Thanks!

Had similar issues with mine. I got my scanner working on my computer with VueSan, but it was buggy. Ended up uninstalling VueScan and the stock Windows 8 software started working, it worked good for a couple weeks then it started freezing up again. I gave up and just use my laptop with Vista now. Never had an issue after that.

My Scanjet 8300 arrived today. Seems to scan the front of slabs okay I take that back. So far I'm always getting a fair amount of glare when I scan the back, and sometimes on the front. Here are a couple of examples:

asm301-b.jpg

sw6-f.jpg

Does anyone have any advice on how to lessen this?

Edited by JJ Speederman

Me too got the same "flare" problem.

And I still got some "freezing" problems also. I am able, when I am lucky, to scan one or 2 CGC comics then it freeze at half way again. Must restart everything !!!!!

Maybe not the best scanner to use with Windows 7. ???

AmSM66_CGCSS_96.jpg

Also have you notice the tiny line that pass all the way from the top to the bottom near the spidey web?

Here another scan where you can see it better, very strange!

XFiles4_CGCSS_92.jpg

Edited by Erik B

-= Tech Support Needed=-

I recently managed to obtain a Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus and am having driver issues, or at least I assume it's the driver when software can;t find the hardware.

Win Vista

I install the software and driver off the disk that came with it and all I get is the error message "can't find scanner".

No luck with VueScan either "can't find scanner".

Device manager told me that the device was working properly and when I tried upgrading the diver I got the message I already had the latest and greatest driver installed.

I removed the driver and allowed windows to install it's default driver.

Vuescan found my scanner and I was able to do one preview scan but when I hit scan the error message "can't find scanner" came back.

I removed that driver and download the newest one from the Microtek's website, which appears to be the same as the one disk, and still "can't find scanner"...

:censored:

So is there any work around for Vista (32 bit) or is a upgrade to Win 7 the only answer?

:sumo:

--- Sometimes I get a pop up with "code 3 hardware error" along with the "can't find scanner" message as well (only when trying to run the original software, not Vuescan).

:ohnoez:

I also download a couple of driver checkers (DriverDoc and DriverTuner) and when I scan my PC they both say that the driver I have for the i800plus is up to date (as does the windows driver updater)....

:ohnoez:

You guys getting glares/flares, try scanning with the lid open.

It can help quite a bit.

My Scanjet 8300 arrived today. Seems to scan the front of slabs okay I take that back. So far I'm always getting a fair amount of glare when I scan the back, and sometimes on the front. Here are a couple of examples:

Does anyone have any advice on how to lessen this?

Sometimes flipping the slab around in the scanner or opening the scanner door might make a difference.

You may not be able to make it go away completely- some scanners make it happen and there's nothing you can't do about it.

Also have you notice the tiny line that pass all the way from the top to the bottom near the spidey web?

That line is probably a product of the scanner. There might be a very light line on the inside of the glass (where the hardware runs up and down the scanner, on the inside). I think it happens to all scanners at some point. Might be nothing you can do without polishing the inside of the glass.

What's the current consensus on the best scanner that is compatible with Mac OS 10.8.5?

I am also thinking of upgrading to OSX Yosemite. Are any of the scanners that one would recommend compatible with that upgrade?

I was about to pull the trigger on an HP8250 but saw that some were having problems with the Scanner and the OS.

I've been messing with my new 8250. I'm having a bit of a problem with glare. I've tried to flip the slab around, but it doesn't seem to help. I've also tried it with both the top open and closed.

This is the best I've been able to do so far with the help from a few photoshop adjustments. Any tips, or is this the best I'm going to do? Thanks in advance! (thumbs u

X-Men94CGC8_zps55d820bd.jpg

looks good to me.

Re: the glare. I have battled this as well and I think it has something to do with the inner well. I can scan one CGC book and it comes out perfect and no glare, then the next one I scan has glare all over. (shrug)

I've been messing with my new 8250. I'm having a bit of a problem with glare. I've tried to flip the slab around, but it doesn't seem to help. I've also tried it with both the top open and closed.

This is the best I've been able to do so far with the help from a few photoshop adjustments. Any tips, or is this the best I'm going to do? Thanks in advance! (thumbs u

I have the same scanner. Sometimes pressing gently on the slab while scanning helps but my experience is that you're unlikely to be able eliminate glare on most slabs.

I have the same scanner. Sometimes pressing gently on the slab while scanning helps but my experience is that you're unlikely to be able eliminate glare on most slabs.

I am convinced it is the inner well and how it sits in the slab.

I am convinced it is the inner well and how it sits in the slab.

You may well be right. Thick GA slabs are usually the worst for me.

Have you tried gentle pressure on the slab while scanning?

What's the current consensus on the best scanner that is compatible with Mac OS 10.8.5?

I am also thinking of upgrading to OSX Yosemite. Are any of the scanners that one would recommend compatible with that upgrade?

I was about to pull the trigger on an HP8250 but saw that some were having problems with the Scanner and the OS.

*ahem* :whistle:

*ahem* :whistle:

I have Mavericks (10.9.5) and the HP8250 and I can verify that it doesn't work natively. However it works fine with VueScan which isn't that expensive and will continue to be updated.