• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

I believe some 8.5 x 11.7 scanners advertise 8.5 x 14 via the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) ((The tray thing on top)).

So the scanning plate itself is 11.7 long, but you could put a legal size document through the feeder.

So that's cool if you are a paralegal, but it sucks if you want to scan slabs.

Edited by TXReplicant

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310 

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one. 

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200?? (may not be legal size)

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL 

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

Of the Microtek scanners listed above, only the I800 plus and the Scanmaker 9800 are currently supported by Microtek. And even that support has stopped at Windows 7. No Windows 8 drivers. The V6UPL, and the Scanmaker 9600 and 9700 have no driver support past XP.

Regarding using VueScan as the scanning driver/interface. The VueScan website states Windows compatability up to Vista

"VueScan works on Windows NT/2K/XP/Vista, and works with all known SCSI cards"

The Epson and HP products look to be the way to go, as they have current drivers up to Windows 8.1 64 bit.

I wish I had known about the HP 7780 AIO. I would have looked for one. Though having said that out loud I might pause. Printers wear out faster than scanners.

A hell of a deal on a $2000 scanner...

The ethernet connection card is a several hundred dollar option on it's own and isn't included OEM.

(no, not my listing)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-GT-15000-LARGE-Format-Color-Flatbed-Scanner-w-Power-Cord-USB-Connector-/221466176625?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item339069ac71

Edited by sl4ppy

Hi -

I'm curious, is it generally considered better to use a scanner than a camera when selling on Ebay (or any other place)? I've never sold anything on there, but I have noticed a lot of photos taken with a camera. I have to admit, I've mistaken glares/shadows for defects when browsing on those sites. Is that the major advantage of using a scanner...to eliminate those kind of things?

Thanks (and sorry if this post was out inappropriate)

Mike

Hi -

I'm curious, is it generally considered better to use a scanner than a camera when selling on Ebay (or any other place)? I've never sold anything on there, but I have noticed a lot of photos taken with a camera. I have to admit, I've mistaken glares/shadows for defects when browsing on those sites. Is that the major advantage of using a scanner...to eliminate those kind of things?

Thanks (and sorry if this post was out inappropriate)

Mike

Welcome to the boards!

Yes to your question. Scanners are best. Cameras often add glare/unwanted light/shadows and can produce blurry photos which are the collector's enemy when it comes to discerning the condition of a book. The more doubt created in the mind of a collector, the less likely the final bid price will be maximized in value.

Buy VueScan and it will solve most of your driver related problems.

+1 especially if you have a Mac because HP appears to have stopped updating the drivers.

Buy VueScan and it will solve most of your driver related problems.

+1 especially if you have a Mac because HP appears to have stopped updating the drivers.

Yeah, sorta wish I had found about this software before buying a different scanner. Save me a few bucks. But I have to say the HP 8300 is giving better scans than my Microtek 9700xl. It's just the Microtek is really big and can scan Original Artwork as well as slabs.

After a couple of weeks doing research I decided to BIN on a refurbished HP 8300 for $117 shipped.

The seller has 20 more available in case anyone else is looking!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Professional-Desktop-Color-Scanner-Scanjet-8300-USB-Film-Adapter-TMA-/310992351180?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item486896afcc

When I receive it I'll install HPs Windows 7 Drivers and/or VueScan and give it a go! I'm also going to try and use that "Extreme Mode" I read about here.

Any tips are appreciated in regards to software!

I did buy an HP 8300 and it seems to be doing fine. The only problem is, it's hard locating the scans, I don't seem to be able to tell it what to call them each time, as I can my canon.

Thanks for all the help!

I did buy an HP 8300 and it seems to be doing fine. The only problem is, it's hard locating the scans, I don't seem to be able to tell it what to call them each time, as I can my canon.

Thanks for all the help!

I just have them exported to my desktop and upload them to Photobucket from there, but I'm not sure if that's what you are asking.

The 8300 seems great for raws but I've found it difficult to avoid glare when scanning slabs.

I know there was a list of scanners on page 80 of the thread but would it be a good idea to have the first post list slab-compatible scanners by:

- OS Compatibility

- brand

etc

Perhaps:

HP8300; Win from XP up to 7, Mac from OS10.X? up to OS10.X?

Just a thought as the thread is now 82 pages and it would be handy to have an updated list at the top!

Also, a tips and tricks list as a sticky at the top?

IE:

Download Vuescan for better control of scan setting etc.

Paging HarveySwick?!

Thanks for all the help!

Not sure what OS you're on, but on my Win 7 machine; it saves them to:

Pictures > My Scans >

.. then the software appends it by adding 'Scan' to the picture, with a number.

Thanks for all the help!

Not sure what OS you're on, but on my Win 7 machine; it saves them to:

Pictures > My Scans >

.. then the software appends it by adding 'Scan' to the picture, with a number.

In Win 7 if you're scanning and saving as tiff files, it's creating a multipage tiff file. Took me a while to figure this out because it seemed like only my first scan was showing up in the "My Scans" folder.

I received my refurbished 8300 this evening and have been tinkering with it.

I hooked it all up and downloaded the latest drivers, software, firmware update, and additional updates from HP's driver page and this is the result.

ThiefofThieves_zps978978cf.jpg

Edited by TXReplicant

I received my refurbished 8300 this evening and have been tinkering with it.

I hooked it all up and downloaded the latest drivers, software, firmware update, and additional updates from HP's driver page and this is the result.

ThiefofThieves_zps978978cf.jpg

Great scan! :applause: