• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

I finally got a MicroTek i800 and it is much better on glare. The thicker slabs still get it a bit, as others have mentioned.

I'm having one problem though. There is a thin line that shows up vertically on the scans. I cleaned the glass back/front but it's still there.

Any known fix for this?

7 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I'm having one problem though. There is a thin line that shows up vertically on the scans. I cleaned the glass back/front but it's still there.

Any known fix for this?

If your scanner is used, I believe that line is on the inside of the glass from the hardware constantly rubbing against the glass over the lifetime of the slab.

It may get polished out but you'd have to remove the glass to get at it.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If your scanner is used, I believe that line is on the inside of the glass from the hardware constantly rubbing against the glass over the lifetime of the slab.

It may get polished out but you'd have to remove the glass to get at it.

I tried that once. The glass comes out so much easier than the HP8200-8300. I'll try it again with someone a bit stronger.

36 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I tried that once. The glass comes out so much easier than the HP8200-8300. I'll try it again with someone a bit stronger.

Did it work on the HP? Did you manage to remove the line? Or was it for something entirely different that you removed the glass?

Throughout the years we have had a number of threads on the subject of which scanner is best to use and where to obtain them.  And in the past these scanners have been a great asset and were the only thing that could give you a really good full image of your slabbed book.  But I'm not understanding why people still feel the need to use them when camera phones do an ample job.  I had an old scanner that I got rid of.  It was a monstrosity which felt like it weighed a hundred pounds and I was thankful to get back the space it took up.  There are probably those that will say a scanner takes a better quality image but I have to say my $80 phone that weighs mere ounces takes a nice, very clear pic that I can download to my PC easily.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Did it work on the HP? Did you manage to remove the line? Or was it for something entirely different that you removed the glass?

I was just cleaning the glass underneath on the HP because it was foggy/dirty, although I think I had one that had the same kind of line.

41 minutes ago, s-man said:

Throughout the years we have had a number of threads on the subject of which scanner is best to use and where to obtain them.  And in the past these scanners have been a great asset and were the only thing that could give you a really good full image of your slabbed book.  But I'm not understanding why people still feel the need to use them when camera phones do an ample job.  I had an old scanner that I got rid of.  It was a monstrosity which felt like it weighed a hundred pounds and I was thankful to get back the space it took up.  There are probably those that will say a scanner takes a better quality image but I have to say my $80 phone that weighs mere ounces takes a nice, very clear pic that I can download to my PC easily.

I can't take a good picture, without glare, to save my life using a phone. The font is always clearer on the scans as well.

1 hour ago, I like pie said:

I can't take a good picture, without glare, to save my life using a phone. The font is always clearer on the scans as well.

The best way to take a picture is outside when there is strong natural sunlight, preferably when the sun is about mid afternoon it isn't overhead and doesn't cast a direct shadow on the book. The sun makes the colors pop best.

But there really isn't a great substitute for a good scanner or a proper photo set up.

And a general announcement, TAKE YOUR SLABS OUT OF THE BAGS WHEN TAKING PICS OF YOUR BOOKS! lol

I can't believe how many people sell expensive books with a bag still around the slab. The book looks like a figment of the imagination sometimes, it's so faded and blurry. doh!

1 hour ago, I like pie said:

Here's an example of the line. It doesn't show well on this one but can be more prominent, depending on color.

Most scanners I've had make that line. I just learn to live with it, short of getting a new scanner.

Edited by VintageComics

On 6/16/2021 at 5:51 PM, I like pie said:

I finally got a MicroTek i800 and it is much better on glare. The thicker slabs still get it a bit, as others have mentioned.

Any known fix for this?

Could the line be from the scanner light? 

I have a Microtek 9800XL.  Scans were very faded, so I found a manufacturer that makes replacement bulbs for $50 https://www.jkllamps.com/BF20325-24B_ASSY_01

https://www.fixya.com/support/t651899-microtek_scanmaker_9800_xl

Put their new light in and it fixed my faded problems.

Skip to 2 years later, now my scanner is producing the same kind of line as Yours...

Edited by Darkseid of the Moon

Wanted to try some scans for a change, as I'm having terrible difficulties with glare from my phone.  Have tried outdoors, indoors during all times of day, all types of lighting, all types of backgrounds... scanner at the library offered this product.  Is it worth using again, to list books on the boards? other pic is about the best I could do with the phone.

asm7594fc.jpg

IMG_2976.JPG

10 hours ago, Chief1332 said:

Wanted to try some scans for a change, as I'm having terrible difficulties with glare from my phone.  Have tried outdoors, indoors during all times of day, all types of lighting, all types of backgrounds... scanner at the library offered this product.  Is it worth using again, to list books on the boards? other pic is about the best I could do with the phone.

asm7594fc.jpg

IMG_2976.JPG

I personally think the scan looks decent, not bad at all :) 

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I personally think the scan looks decent, not bad at all :) 

Thank you.  I was contemplating one of each in any upcoming sales thread as the scans are glare free, and the phone pics show colors well.  I suppose there are scanners that would make the need for the phone unnecessary.

Just now, Chief1332 said:

Thank you.  I was contemplating one of each in any upcoming sales thread as the scans are glare free, and the phone pics show colors well.  I suppose there are scanners that would make the need for the phone unnecessary.

Depending on need, you might also try Microsoft office lens, it's the app I use...

There are many ways of taking pics, just find one that is relatively easy or comfortable...

Since you made the trip to the library, it does look decent , just doesn't sound too practical but it does present well (thumbsu

On 6/16/2021 at 10:26 PM, s-man said:

Since I have ample room for desk setup a scanner is not in my way, I understand not everyone has that option.  While my phone takes decent pics(I use it for Mag slabs) it is much less hassle to get consistent images with the scanner, no need to fuss with angles for glare. Plus, it limits the OCD issues trying to get each phone photo to have similar (ok, exact) borders :eek:

On 8/9/2021 at 10:52 AM, GACollectibles said:

Since I have ample room for desk setup a scanner is not in my way, I understand not everyone has that option.  While my phone takes decent pics(I use it for Mag slabs) it is much less hassle to get consistent images with the scanner, no need to fuss with angles for glare. Plus, it limits the OCD issues trying to get each phone photo to have similar (ok, exact) borders :eek:

I understand what your saying, it can be a bit of a fuss to get it right.  Its the cost of a scanner and the room it takes up that bothers me, when I have a phone that can produce an image like this.  And no, I have no OCD when it comes to a slightly crooked image! lol

2134754348_UF4front.thumb.jpg.11d1012226eb519d307e040e7c0aee40.jpg

The cost of the scanner is only part of the cost actually. The VueScan software is not cheap in comparison. (It's $99 I think.) I also just picked up a used Microtek i900 scanner off eBay(thumbsu

I've been playing with the settings but @Ghost Town had some great initial color settings for his scans based on his Microtek i800. (You can find it via search on these boards I think... I'd have to look for it.)

NOTE: There's also an easy way to clean UNDER the glass for the i900. You just have to be careful to press down on the hole between the cover joints with something like a pencil (eraser side) once you take the cover off. It then slides off and lifts up.

Edited by sckao

On 8/9/2021 at 10:32 AM, sckao said:

The cost of the scanner is only part of the cost actually. The VueScan software is not cheap in comparison. (It's $99 I think.) I also just picked up a used Microtek i900 scanner off eBay(thumbsu

I've been playing with the settings but @Ghost Town had some great initial color settings for his scans based on his Microtek i800. (You can find it via search on these boards I think... I'd have to look for it.)

Searching in these parts can be challenging. These are the VueScan settings I've been using:

26792121088_398573d359_c.jpg

On 8/9/2021 at 11:47 AM, s-man said:

I understand what your saying, it can be a bit of a fuss to get it right.  Its the cost of a scanner and the room it takes up that bothers me, when I have a phone that can produce an image like this.  And no, I have no OCD when it comes to a slightly crooked image! lol

2134754348_UF4front.thumb.jpg.11d1012226eb519d307e040e7c0aee40.jpg

I'm not bashing the quality or pushing you to not use your phone but you can hardly ready the words. Also, if I was hunting for, lets say, a 9.4 with a potential to press/upgrade to something higher, this picture wouldn't help. You can't see the fine details. If it's just for PC purposes though, than who cares :P