• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

Interesting fact (maybe):  the creator of this thread for years on his Youtube videos has expressed a preference for the dark green,  suggesting it was economically-related.  That was really the first time I became aware of this possibility.  Since that dude is all mostly about profit maximization, it was implicit at the least..  But he NEVER explained why.  In fairness to etaNick, no one asked him in the few vids I saw where he evaluated an X-Men1 in hand or a then-upcoming auction, not even in the comments.   It's one thing if the dark greens are decidedly less common, but even then the effect on valuation would be unclear.  But if split between light and dark green is an unknown, the color shouldn't matter (except at the individual preference level).   Just in case, does any one know of a non-whimsical reason for singling out the darker green?   To me the books are interchangable w/o such info.  

Edited by Pantodude

I prefer darker green myself due to the reasoning above.  I've had multiple lighter green shade copies and I don't think I've ever owned the darker green version.  But yea, will be interesting to see how the 9.2 CC copy ends up at.  I think your 9.0 copy @Sweet Lou 14 trumps the 9.2 by a hair, just my opinion. Great pickup!

I learn something new everyday on these boards. I had no idea there were different green versions. I wish I could go back in time I bought my X1 in the pre CGC days and fading was my numero uno rule for "do not buy" I HATED seeing a faded comic and the dealers would sometimes have them bagged and taped onto the front store window facing the sun for weeks at a time yikes but I digress and I'm showing my age here. Point is- I wonder how many lime greens I passed on as I was upgrading and as I continue to upgrade I have new knowledge and thanks for the info, my friends.

I’ve noticed the green difference for many years now. Dark green is preferred for me on X-men 1, but also on FF1 (can be a problem on the monster), FF5 (Doctor Doom - not as much a problem to find), and FF6 (Dr. Doom - more of a problem here than on #5.). That said, I believe it’s been 50/50 (dark/lime) on the copies I’ve owned in my career. It makes a difference. Dark green boxes on an X-men 1 tend to come with brighter, richer reds as well. 

Edited by Primetime

On 8/10/2021 at 11:12 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

Same here!  Didn’t realize that either.

My two copies side by side.  

308A5078-E08C-49FA-B12A-E8BE85BD19B9.jpeg

Beautiful books!

I'm not buying the "darker greens come with richer reds" theory.  Haven't seen the evidence and besides, even if that's true for some copies, each copy tells its own story.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

I'm guessing we're in a little lull here because everyone is monitoring the late summer auctions. I hope these questions are not too distracting but they are directed towards the experienced collectors and graders- Are there different degrees of fading in comic book grading? If so, how are they measured? Thanks! PS-This is X1 related as I am in the process of upgrading and I need info. 

On 8/16/2021 at 6:00 PM, captain_em said:

I'm guessing we're in a little lull here because everyone is monitoring the late summer auctions. I hope these questions are not too distracting but they are directed towards the experienced collectors and graders- Are there different degrees of fading in comic book grading? If so, how are they measured? Thanks! PS-This is X1 related as I am in the process of upgrading and I need info. 

it does not appear to be as important to the grade of the book as it ought to be. i've seen faded gsx1 8.0 copies up for auction and they look terrible imho.