• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

SC4 and SC22.  Unfortunately who knows how long you would have to hold onto those books before getting a positive return.

Ehem.  These have been going up the past year, more so than in the years prior to the pandemic, just not as much as the crazy books the past year.  Plenty of positive returns with SC4 and SC22.  GPA don't lie!  :nyah:

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I dunno.  I feel like all the Marvel ones have already taken off.  AF15 has been on a tear lately after 3 years of stagnation.  Hulk 1 prices keep going up.  Obviously FF1, XM1 are on a rocket ship.  JIM 83 and TOS39 have gone up as well.  

The only ones I agree are still cheap are the DC books SC4 and SC22.  Unfortunately who knows how long you would have to hold onto those books before getting a positive return.  

If anyone is looking to dump their copy of SC4, I'm in the market for one. I don't want to have a copy of SC4 because of its growth opportunities, but rather for its historical significance.

Edited by Math Teacher

3 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I meant all ages not just SA. More like 30 books or so.

SA:

AF15

Hulk 1

FF 1

X-Men 1

SC 4

SC 22

BB 28

JIM 83

TOS 39

And a few 1st appearance issues of series such as ASM. To me they are cheap compared to many other hobbies and the top items in those hobbies.

45 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I dunno.  I feel like all the Marvel ones have already taken off.  AF15 has been on a tear lately after 3 years of stagnation.  Hulk 1 prices keep going up.  Obviously FF1, XM1 are on a rocket ship.  JIM 83 and TOS39 have gone up as well.  

The only ones I agree are still cheap are the DC books SC4 and SC22.  Unfortunately who knows how long you would have to hold onto those books before getting a positive return.  

I guess cheap is relative. For people who have been collecting a long time,  the prices are insane. I bought my X1 in 2017 for $1100, and that felt really expensive at the time...  that also doesn't feel like all that long ago.  So to think my issue is well into 5 figures now feels almost absurd. 

But in comparison to other hobbies, X1 is probably still cheap and scarce, which is the point Batmanis#1 is making.   

17 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Absolutely.  If I come across a good deal on a mega key, it’s a race to find the :takeit:button.

Sure, me too.  But I'm asking a bit of a different question.  Anyone who legitimately thinks X-Men 1 (or any book) is "cheap" in the current market should theoretically be in a "race" to buy copies regardless of whether it's a "good deal."  Within the limits of their available funds of course, at whatever grades they can afford, they should theoretically be rushing to pay the big asking prices and bidding to win on auction night.

35 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sure, me too.  But I'm asking a bit of a different question.  Anyone who legitimately thinks X-Men 1 (or any book) is "cheap" in the current market should theoretically be in a "race" to buy copies regardless of whether it's a "good deal."  Within the limits of their available funds of course, at whatever grades they can afford, they should theoretically be rushing to pay the big asking prices and bidding to win on auction night.

My buying habits haven't changed a ton, though I haven't lined up to pay top of market prices for major keys. 

I do fear some books, like a nicer AF15 probably moved out of my price range for good.  The other big book I fear I've missed out on is FF5.  

I could always sell some books, but it's hard to pick out those big ticket books I want to part with. 

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

100%.  Saying a book is dirt cheap shouldn't be used in an argument that they'll be good long term investments over the next 15 years. 

1 hour ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Cheap for many rich people in the world same as any other hobby. For me no I got them long ago and keep my books. I still buy some TEC books each year. We old generation look at these prices and can't believe them but the new generation has money not all but many have a lot of money. Look at other hobbies you will see the huge amounts spent people have money out there they are not all like myself. I could if I sold my books but I don't care for the money I am a collector and this is my passion. It's what keeps me going in old age that and a few other things in life I still enjoy.

There are people with money, of course.  There are also many more fueling this buying with cheap debt.  A buddy of mine paid 5k for a DD1 a few months back, I think he flipped it to another buyer, but despite being a mortgage broker with a good job him and his wife are renting in an area where home prices have gone up 50% over the last two years......he's probably priced out of owning real estate now....that isn't someone with wealth and assets to spare.

7 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just curious ... all these folks saying that these books are "still cheap," are you putting your money where your mouth is?

Nope. Even the rich people I know and deal with don't do this.

Like I said in another thread, it's really easy to spend someone else's money.

Finding people who are visionaries, who trust their instincts, who know when it's time to overpay, those people are extremely difficult to find. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Instead, they are rare to come by. People like the Verzyls and the Dentists of the world are rare...and that's why they have the best.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Nope. Even the rich people I know and deal with don't do this.

Like I said in another thread, it's really easy to spend someone else's money.

Finding people who are visionaries, who trust their instincts, who know when it's time to overpay, those people are extremely difficult to find. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Instead, they are rare to come by. People like the Verzyls and the Dentists of the world are rare...and that's why they have the best.

Roy, you had me right up to the end.  I have no idea who Verzyl is and as far as I know, dentists are no different from the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Ltpink2002 said:

I believe he is referring to Dr. Dave Anderson (The Dentist ) and individuals like him

Apologies, never heard of him either -- neither of these two guys even show up in a Google search so I guess you need to be an old-time boardie to know about them?

(Correction:  "John Verzyl" gets me to the legacy web site but "Verzyl" alone got me nothing.)

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just curious ... all these folks saying that these books are "still cheap," are you putting your money where your mouth is?

Roger that, sir or maam! I've got my bleacher seat X1 on the market and I'm eyeballin' somethin' closer to the field!

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Apologies, never heard of him either -- neither of these two guys even show up in a Google search so I guess you need to be an old-time boardie to know about them?

(Correction:  "John Verzyl" gets me to the legacy web site but "Verzyl" alone got me nothing.)

"The Dentist" is a "legendary" GA collector. There have been rumors and sworn witnesses that say he's sitting on the highest graded copies of all the big boys. Tec 27, AC1 and so on.  

My understanding is, they are all raw.

John, I never met personally, but I understand he was just a great guy and a long time collector with an expansive collection. He was involved when collecting was in it's infancy and was able to grab a lot of spectacular books the rest of us just dream of. Not as mysterious as the dentist, but one of those guys like Mitch who helped build the hobby. 

I'm sure older boardies can share more details about these guys. I knew of the Dentist long before the boards. You would hear rumblings about him at various shows and corners of internet. John I didn't really know about until joining here. 

I’ve heard about the Dentist as well.  Weird I just did a google search for him and can’t find anything anymore.

But yeah he was an avid collector and comic fan I think around 1970’s he paid the most ever for a comic book $25k or so at the time for I think Action 1 maybe?  Everyone laughed at him paying such a ridiculous amount of money for a children’s book. 

I bet in 50 years we will look back and say man I wished I had bought X-men 1 in 2021.