• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Austin_t_a said:

Why did GoCollect drop the value of X-Men 1 so far down in all grades?

Their algo is probably just sorting out recent sales prices in all grades.

On 7/1/2021 at 7:05 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just curious ... all these folks saying that these books are "still cheap," are you putting your money where your mouth is?

For a Specific book, I can say I absolutely swung at every copy in a price range from January to now. Not X1, but IH1. For "any" book, no, typically if I own multiples it is to upgrade, now is not the best time to upgrade on nearly all keys.  A couple years back I did buy multiples of IH181 to sell later. Should have held them a little longer...

9 hours ago, Austin_t_a said:

The .5 on CLink sold for $7500 :whatthe:

But the 1.8 sold for less?

Indeed. Feel pretty good about it having got the 1.8. It was very odd though… I wasn’t bidding on the 0.5 but I was watching it as it ended 20 seconds after the 1.8 and it was trailing by about 1,000 the entire auction until the 1.8 ended then the 0.5 jumped to 7500 in the final seconds from like 6,100. I would guess that those bidding on the 0.5 saw the entire auction that the 1.8 was going for more and just stopped following the 1.8 and assumed it was going to jump to 8k+ in the final seconds and they’d be priced out but that never happened, and they still threw in their final bids on the 0.5

Edited by wiparker824

1 hour ago, wiparker824 said:

Indeed. Feel pretty good about it having got the 1.8. It was very odd though… I wasn’t bidding on the 0.5 but I was watching it as it ended 20 seconds after the 1.8 and it was trailing by about 1,000 the entire auction until the 1.8 ended then the 0.5 jumped to 7500 in the final seconds from like 6,100. I would guess that those bidding on the 0.5 saw the entire auction that the 1.8 was going for more and just stopped following the 1.8 and assumed it was going to jump to 8k+ in the final seconds and they’d be priced out but that never happened, and they still threw in their final bids on the 0.5

That 1.8 is a great pickup, congrats on joining the club!  I think your theory is probably right, the 1.8 was definitely an anomaly in the trend of this book.

1 hour ago, Mdrguy101 said:

Saw an X Men 1 CGC 4.0 sell for $13,642.96 at auction last night on eBay. Presented pretty well. Seems awfully low, no?

Does seem low. Someone got a good deal as the book looks nice.  Unfortunate for the seller.  

That’s why when I sell on the bay, to use fixed price so that final auction prices don’t make me disappointed.  

Wow.  That same Xm1 4.0 discussed above has sold 4 times since late 2019, for 5400 in Oct2019, 6995 in Jan2020, for 9150 in Feb2021, and for 13643 yesterday.  Yesterday's sale was way low even limiting the inquiry to GPA data.  A 3.5 sold in May for $15.6K and even a 3.0 sold on 6/28 just days ago for $15.6K.  Maybe there is something about the book (not really evident to me from the scan despite others' comments above, but perhaps the grader's notes?) that explains the result.  So perhaps it's no coincidence that the most recent prior sale for 9150 in Feb2021 was also considerably lower than the sale just days before for $10700 and the sale just days afterwards for 11600!   

If the book is fine for the grade, I agree that the shortened and late-ending auction on a Saturday night and the high listed shipping cost from Canada couldn't have helped matters.    

Edited by Pantodude

4 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Well I think it’s a decent looking 4.0.  Plus it has no marvel chipping as well.  

Looks like I overpaid for my 4.0 a few months ago then. My copy below. Dang. 

A01C87A1-4F00-4165-BE54-3A8BB71F95A7.jpeg

Nice book, decent Stan sig with excellent placement. From this pic, almost looks like the book would benefit from a C&P.