• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

Hash what out, precisely?

Doug has admitted here that he omits to report poor sales points to GPA, contrary to his agreement with GPA, and in an effort to maintain the 'value' of certain items.

Price fixing...market manipulation...unethical conduct...call it what you will, but I'm clearly missing what there is to 'hash out'?

Additionally, why would a public concern issue on this scale be best dealt with through a one-to-one phonecall? (shrug)

Each person who shops with Doug has a vested interest in letting him know personally that his BS auction practices are causing them to consider discontinuing doing business with him. Each person who has won auctions through Doug in the past and now feels that those prices were tainted has a vested interest in talking to him and telling him why they feel cheated. You can whine and cry and argue and rant and light the torches and whatever else you want to here. But until those of you who personally deal with Pedigree (Doug), spend money there and have supported him call and let him know how you feel - that his conduct has possibly caused you harm and you are now reluctant to ever do business with him - Only then can Doug realize the extent of his screw up.

Frankly Nick, you personally could scream and holler about it and threaten and whatnot until you are blue in the face. You don't shop with Doug. You never have. So from his standpoint your ranting is meaningless. I have never spent a dime with Doug. I've sold him stuff but never bid in his auctions. I rarely look at his web-site. So my ranting also wouldn't amount to a fart in the wind. But someone like George who does bid, shop and spend dough with Doug has a ton of sway. Those are the people who need to tell him personally what they think of him and his practices.

Brian,

I am all for your idea of setting an auction system here in addition to the market place in existence already.

Not that my boycotting will hurt them much but I think I will step away from participating at any auctions for the next few months.

I just think it'd be interesting to try. Of course it wouldn't have amazing results at first, but it's something you'd have to build. John, my proposal would be for the commission to be even lower than 7% -- as low as possible to make it functional and sufficient. It all depends on the material and that people know about it. It's a huge idea that requires a lot of thought, but I'm just offering it as a point of further discussion.

I can help make this happen (both walk and talk) if this is something you or anyone else here is interested in pursuing (thumbs u

I'm really tired of seeing the same really expensive books run thru his auctions at no reserve and the the ones that sell below GPA end up on his site the next day.

I can certainly relate. I'm tired of a lot of things. I don't care about pressing. I don't care about disclosure. I don't care about market manipulation. Does that make me a bad collector? A bad hobbyist? I don't know. I guess ultimately it does.

Is it giving up or giving in? No, I think it's more of a giving out. And frankly, I guess it's time I take to heart the advice you gave Dale earlier in the thread. If I really don't care about it, then I need to just stop posting.

Not the answer, Jim.

The problem, as I see it, is that whilst you don't care...a position you're clearly entitled to take on any of those issues...you're quick enough to denigrate those who do. You've saved your vitriol in this thread for Brent, not Doug. Doug got a shrug of the shoulders from you, but you've pretty much sneered at Brent and called him out.

If you don't care, don't care...but please don't look down on those who do. :foryou:

The only people I routinely look down on are those who want to have their cake and eat it too. People with true opinions, whether I think they are right or wrong, catch very little flack from me. I don't care what you stand for, as long as you are consistent. The one thing I try not to be is pious. I don't hold anyone to higher standard than what I expect from myself. Perhaps I need to raise the bar.

I like you, Jim...so I'm not saying this to bash you...but I want to explain my point of view.

A friend told me yesterday, when I showed him the thread, that "ignorance is bliss". I know that he didn't mean that in a bad way, but I think he was disgusted.

I know that there has been a lot of posts saying "Ho Hum" so someone is doing something less than up front? so what?

THAT really bothers me...I suppose I'm a perfect example of someone who learns from these threads.

I have only been collecting for about 12 years, before that I was merely accumulating some books. I don't have $10k books, but I have more books than I usually admit. It adds up.

When I came to this forum, I had NEVER heard of pressing. I knew very little about restoration.

I did and do buy Overstreet. Never used it as a bible, but it was always a good reference tool for me for books I was not familiar with.

When I got here,I knew enough that mid grade DCs and Marvels did not go for guide, and Timelys did...but that's about it. I bought most of my books on Ebay. Never heard of GPA when I got here. Still don't really use it myself because only 20 percent or so of my collection is CGC'd and I usually prefer books I can look at.

What I also did not know when I got here, is that there were books I had in my collection that went way OVER Overstreet guide, so when I came here, and a few people "needed" some books that I had, I did sell a few at my cost, only to see them flipped immediately.

:hi: I still have the ones you sold me! And they'll stay with me for awhile yet, so if you have anymore... :baiting:

:foryou: I know it wasn't all the books, shouldn't have made it sound that way, i was just using an example of my own ignorance... but thanks, Vaughn...you are on the "good list" . When do you ship out? Be CAREFUL!

Doug has admitted here that he omits to report poor sales points to GPA, contrary to his agreement with GPA, and in an effort to maintain the 'value' of certain items.

Price fixing...market manipulation...unethical conduct...call it what you will, but I'm clearly missing what there is to 'hash out'?

Additionally, why would a public concern issue on this scale be best dealt with through a one-to-one phonecall? (shrug)

Each person who shops with Doug has a vested interest in letting him know personally that his BS auction practices are causing them to consider discontinuing doing business with him. Each person who has won auctions through Doug in the past and now feels that those prices were tainted has a vested interest in talking to him and telling him why they feel cheated. You can whine and cry and argue and rant and light the torches and whatever else you want to here. But until those of you who personally deal with Pedigree (Doug), spend money there and have supported him call and let him know how you feel - that his conduct has possibly caused you harm and you are now reluctant to ever do business with him - Only then can Doug realize the extent of his screw up.

Frankly Nick, you personally could scream and holler about it and threaten and whatnot until you are blue in the face. You don't shop with Doug. You never have. So from his standpoint your ranting is meaningless. I have never spent a dime with Doug. I've sold him stuff but never bid in his auctions. I rarely look at his web-site. So my ranting also wouldn't amount to a fart in the wind. But someone like George who does bid, shop and spend dough with Doug has a ton of sway. Those are the people who need to tell him personally what they think of him and his practices.

OK, fair enough...if we're talking about mass phonecalls, I'm all in. :/

One point of order, however...I did used to shop with Doug, but stopped immediately I knew about his disbarment.

I would have to say this may not change Pedigrees business model, but it will likely have an effect on new customers through this website. So I wouldnt consider this worthless without calling him. And I have no doubt if u did call smoke would be blown up your skirt, and nothing would change. He just might try to conceal it better.

If you were my lawyer, what would you tell me to do?

I would tell you, but Bedrock doesn't believe I'm a lawyer and, well, we all know he is king so why argue. :slapfight:

BUT, were I a lawyer, rather than just play one on tv, I would recommend you buy scotches for all. :headbang:

Seriously though, as your lawyer I would honestly tell you to be careful about what you do or say when you comment on matters pertaining to industry standards and especially regarding alleged poor, and perhaps shady, practices of dealers. You work for a very large company as an employee and some of these dealers have business relationships with that company. While I obviously applaud your efforts to uncover fraud and take a hard-line stance where you can, your statements may have an impact on your work environment and you need to be cautious without clearing it first with whomever you report to. That's what I would say were I your lawyer and looking out for your interests :hi:

Fortunately I'm not, so buy scotches and spill all the dirty laundry you know about dealers! :ohnoez::popcorn:

As Richard said, some of you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. George (Jive) brings up issues of poor customer service, lack of good results and a generally non-caring attitude.

Auction companies provide a service. Some only have the almighty dollar in their heads and don't care if 10 copies of a big key in the same grade are in the same auction even if that bastardizes the prices acheived on that book. Not all auction houses are created equal and not all auction houses treat their customers the same.

It's nice to expand on Pedigree's shady dealings and say let's boycott auctions, or let's boycott consigning, or let's form our own auction house, but I think that the reaction is misplaced. Pedigree Comics should be the target of your boycotts, not Comiclink or Heritage or Comic Connect or us for that matter. If any of those other companies have also done these same things, then maybe those auction houses should be boycotted.

Somehow Auction houses have become a dirty word. And I'm not sure why. Quality Comix charges 7% for any CGC certified book. That is lower than any other legitimate auction house. We spend a great deal of money on advertising and building the Quality Comix brand. We have a professional shipping department. We have generally responsive customer service. We have a professional looking, easy to use website that we are constantly updating. All of these things cost money. We also disclose any work that has been done to a comic that we sell and we request our consignors do the same.

I believe that there are quite a few auction web sites that boardies are currently using that you guys could take over and make big, if that is your choice. And I think they don't charge much.

You will run into problems when you have an auction and the book is not "in house". Someone wins the book for less than what they want and the book is never shipped out or "sold" somewhere else. Shilling will take place. Friends will buy books back for their friends. Non-disclosure will happen and so on. Auction Nirvana won't happen with your own auctions either, but maybe it will be a better venture than what is currently in the marketplace. (shrug)

Anyone else notice how Brent worked in a nice little Quality Comics advertising there. I think you have been spending too much time with Zaid. :baiting:

I'll actually take that one as a compliment. :banana::hi:

I would tell you, but Bedrock doesn't believe I'm a lawyer and, well, we all know he is king so why argue. :slapfight:

BUT, were I a lawyer, rather than just play one on tv, I would recommend you buy scotches for all. :headbang:

Seriously though, as your lawyer I would honestly tell you to be careful about what you do or say when you comment on matters pertaining to industry standards and especially regarding alleged poor, and perhaps shady, practices of dealers. You work for a very large company as an employee and some of these dealers have business relationships with that company. While I obviously applaud your efforts to uncover fraud and take a hard-line stance where you can, your statements may have an impact on your work environment and you need to be cautious without clearing it first with whomever you report to. That's what I would say were I your lawyer and looking out for your interests :hi:

Fortunately I'm not, so buy scotches and spill all the dirty laundry you know about dealers! :ohnoez::popcorn:

(thumbs u

I would have to say this may not change Pedigrees business model, but it will likely have an effect on new customers through this website. So I wouldnt consider this worthless without calling him. And I have no doubt if u did call smoke would be blown up your skirt, and nothing would change. He just might try to conceal it better.

It's always a good sounding story from Doug. (thumbs u

No, you're right, these threads are not worthless, though. They help to inform and educate new and non board members who may not have been aware of the issues at hand.

Another statement I live by in my law practice

You are a lawyer? :o

Who woulda thunk...

Amazing retort Richard. Next time don't strain yourself so much. meh

Oh, I assure you it was no strain. (thumbs u

That's exactly what I am saying! Thanks! (thumbs u

Though, as always, I will take, as you say, a hard line stance when it comes to fraud, even if it costs me my job, as long as I have proof.

:gossip: BTW...........I don't believe you are a lawyer. Ritchie knows all! (worship)

Hope things are going better with the weather there :wishluck:

No, you're right, these threads are not worthless, though. They help to inform and educate new and non board members who may not have been aware of the issues at hand.

Exactly. These threads are worth their weight in gold for people who havent been here long.

Exactly. These threads are worth their weight in gold for people who havent been here long.

In fact, as a follow up example, there's another Mile High thread today. :grin:

AND another Showcase New England! :whee:

AND another Showcase New England! :whee:

Now we just need to know about Jason Ewert..... although I'm fairly certain he's left the hobby. Five figure sales for ultra HG slabbed books wouldn't tempt him to keep his skills sharp, I'm sure. :P

I think it is a sad statement that the most legitimate source of GPA data is eBay. None of the other auction houses can be trusted and eBay is the only one with an actual policy against shill bidding.

Correct. For as bad as ebay has been and can be, it really is the safest place to bid if the seller packs well and does deliver, which isn't hard to figure out.

Another thing, there is some speculation about auction houses being able to see max bids and "running up" bidders to their max. Many people seem to frequently win at their max bids on all of the auction house sights. That can't happen on ebay. A shill bidder their can only guess at what the bidders max may be. The shill also runs the risk of winning and creating a literal no sale with fees attached. Sniping on ebay also helps eliminate shill bidding on ebay.

As a matter of fact, if you go to the dealer market place, I think someone there is running some ebay auctions this week, and has made some good points about the advantages of bidding on ebay as opposed to other auction houses.

Totally agree (thumbs u