• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

I don't even mind the detached cover. I'm just glad it hasn't been reattached with tape.

Did anyone from CGC get back to you about their policy on tape?

Here's a post the Roy made about the Heritage auction as it looks like more key books are getting the tape treatment.

Captain America Comics #1 (Timely, 1941) CGC VG+ 4.5 Off-white...$21510

Why is Captain America up while Flash is down? Movie hype?

No, that Cap #1 was likely the nicest copy in that grade. Had VF eye appeal with brand new looking cover inks rare for this book).

It was the 3.5 that got sold out from under me in Chicago last August. Heritage added a piece of tape and it went up to a 4.5 to sell for $4K more.

I don't even mind the detached cover. I'm just glad it hasn't been reattached with tape.

Here's a post the Roy made about the Heritage auction as it looks like more key books are getting the tape treatment.

Captain America Comics #1 (Timely, 1941) CGC VG+ 4.5 Off-white...$21510

Why is Captain America up while Flash is down? Movie hype?

No, that Cap #1 was likely the nicest copy in that grade. Had VF eye appeal with brand new looking cover inks rare for this book).

It was the 3.5 that got sold out from under me in Chicago last August. Heritage added a piece of tape and it went up to a 4.5 to sell for $4K more.

Tape is the new pressing. :banana:

No. I emailed Mark about it, but he didn't respond. :(

It appears the lesson that CGC learned from Steve's attempts to interact with the public was that no answer ever satisfies all of the public all of the time, so better not to answer at all. :P

Cgc deducts based on the flaw or accumulation of flaws/defects

A detached cover 'defect" carries more neg weight than a piece of tape added "defect/flaw"

My guess is an added pc of tape would result in at best a .5 jump

The cap 1 benefitted from the tape both attaching the cover and reducing a spine split, hence the full point jump from 3.5 to 4.5 (thumbs u

I believe this copy sold on clink last year in the mid 60k range (I am in chicago and my notes file is at home so going strictly on memory here)

I would expect a significant price jump this time based solely on the recent flurry of sales of "comparable" type keys

The real question hopeful bidders need to ask themselves is "will this copy join the 100k club?" hm

It appears the lesson that CGC learned from Steve's attempts to interact with the public was that no answer ever satisfies all of the public all of the time, so better not to answer at all. :P

Wish they would change it. If a book is not attached by the staples how can you consider the cover attached? Total BS that is causing more harm to books as new owners stick tape on books just to get grade bumps.

They should actually lower the grade as the books now have tape on them.

Bruce

Wish they would change it. If a book is not attached by the staples how can you consider the cover attached? Total BS that is causing more harm to books as new owners stick tape on books just to get grade bumps.

Bruce

Agree 100%.

Bruce

I'd be more severe. CGC should give taped books the PLOD. This might encourage folks to not only avoid tape, but also send in their taped books for removal before the damage to paper is done.

Bruce

I'd be more severe. CGC should give taped books the PLOD. This might encourage folks to not only avoid tape, but also send in their taped books for removal before the damage to paper is done.

Seeking to avoid PLOD is what's led some books to end up with tape on them in the first place. So to shift policy now and give them PLOD would mean any book already in a slab would never be cracked out, and there would be conflicting standards on many books in the marketplace.

It would be simpler (and more accurate) to consider tape a defect and knock down the grade of a book if it has tape on it. That would also, incidentally, incentivize people to remove tape, with or without different label colors.

Bruce

Seeking to avoid PLOD is what's led some books to end up with tape on them in the first place. So to shift policy now and give them PLOD would mean any book already in a slab would never be cracked out, and there would be conflicting standards on many books in the marketplace.

It would be simpler (and more accurate) to consider tape a defect and knock down the grade of a book if it has tape on it. That would also, incidentally, incentivize people to remove tape, with or without different label colors.

I agree with this (thumbs u