• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which will be the best long term investment: Tecs or Actions?

283 posts in this topic

I was a paper boy for one summer, but my dad made me quit as he was getting up at 3:30 am with me to drive me to deliver them (it was not realistic, the route I had, to do it on a bike, and I had tried to hook up a radio flyer wagon behind me, but I had to stop at each house to retrive the paper, and I couldn't get all delivered by the 6am required... so, my dear old dad drove me around for about 2 months, then said "boy, this is over" lol )

I'd say Action war covers are a good investment too.

definitely! I've seen a definite upswing in prices on them lately, judging by the last few Clink auctions and a few eBay sales. thank God I've got most of them already and bought them for the most part at reasonable prices.

in fact I just bought two more this weekend at C2E2.

TWO more? hm Am I just forgeting one, or did you pick up another one I wasn't aware of?

well, yours and then the #63 I bought from MCMiles.

I was a paper boy for one summer, but my dad made me quit as he was getting up at 3:30 am with me to drive me to deliver them (it was not realistic, the route I had, to do it on a bike, and I had tried to hook up a radio flyer wagon behind me, but I had to stop at each house to retrive the paper, and I couldn't get all delivered by the 6am required... so, my dear old dad drove me around for about 2 months, then said "boy, this is over" lol )

Very hard work, those Sunday news paper was a pain. On Sunday, the paper were four times the size and I sometimes was late too. Great exercise and I have bartered my extra papers with the bagel shop for bagels daily. lol

I'd say Action war covers are a good investment too.

definitely! I've seen a definite upswing in prices on them lately, judging by the last few Clink auctions and a few eBay sales. thank God I've got most of them already and bought them for the most part at reasonable prices.

in fact I just bought two more this weekend at C2E2.

TWO more? hm Am I just forgeting one, or did you pick up another one I wasn't aware of?

well, yours and then the #63 I bought from MCMiles.

Those Action war covers are great and will do very well. Nice pick-up.

how the heck did you have 18k at 23 yrs old in 1990 for an action 1! Mind you I was 15 then so I was happy with Cap 100s and the like :/ Paper route money only went so far.
I didn't...I had a year long payment plan (like 1800 a month, if I recall) (thumbs u

In 1990, I bought a ASM 1 5.5 for $1100 and that was my biggest comic purchase ever and it drained me back then. I was a paper boy also. I wonder how many boardies were paper boy as a teenager. hm

:hi:

I worked also for one summer as a paper boy in the afternoons. I was not fast enough. It took me an eternity to get the route done. The payment was miniscule for all that hazzle I thought. I eventually quit it :)

Sweet story :)

Some nice dad you have had. I mean doing that for you in the middle of the morning ... helping you out for several months

My dad was the type that drove me to hockey practice at 430am all the time and never complained..did this for years. Whenever he could make it he was my biggest fan. Even used to tap his shoulder from the stands whenever he wanted me to lay a big hit on someone.

Not to change the subject..I'll bring it back...

Recently, I've started a growing interested in Pre-Batman tecs. Mostly because my local buddy Matt has been trying to find a pre-robin Batman for a while and finally snagged his first. So it got me looking at early Tecs.

I'd love to be able to buy affordable low-grade when I can...restoration preferred.

When I get some stuff out of the way I'm definitely going to look into buying my first soon and possibly buying one every 6 months or so thereafter.

One of the best thing about the Action, or almost any DC war covers, is they are still affordable when compared to blue chip comics like Pre-Robin Detectives or very early Actions. They are also a great theme to collect as many of the blue chip staples get farther and farther out of reach of the average collector. Eventually the average guys will have to move on to other books which could increase demand over the longer term.

Bruce

The next high watermark indicating where the popularity of these two titles is going, - will that be the Action court copy at HA? I think so.

Exciting to see if it - as a moderate restored 6.5 (P) - will be able to crack the 100K mark? :popcorn:

Rumor wants it that there will be nothing less than a 150K reserve ....

how the heck did you have 18k at 23 yrs old in 1990 for an action 1! Mind you I was 15 then so I was happy with Cap 100s and the like :/ Paper route money only went so far.
I didn't...I had a year long payment plan (like 1800 a month, if I recall) (thumbs u

In 1990, I bought a ASM 1 5.5 for $1100 and that was my biggest comic purchase ever and it drained me back then. I was a paper boy also. I wonder how many boardies were paper boy as a teenager. hm

:hi:

Ahhh...learning the value of money and running a self business. I still remember sending Christmas cards at the end of the year for the extra bonus comic money.

If the reserve is indeed 150k then any bidding below that will be irrelevant (shrug)

AGREED! The problem I have with this is, when the reserve is known in the market, the price of the book has a tendency of getting thrill bid up to/just under the reserve. This has the perseption, if the book does not sell (for example, it ends at 145K), that a Action #1 cgc 6.5M(P) is now worth 145K. Eventhough the last Action #1 in the same grade garnered approx. 100K. Just my 2 cents.

If the reserve is indeed 150k then any bidding below that will be irrelevant (shrug)

AGREED! The problem I have with this is, when the reserve is known in the market, the price of the book has a tendency of getting thrill bid up to/just under the reserve. This has the perseption, if the book does not sell (for example, it ends at 145K), that a Action #1 cgc 6.5M(P) is now worth 145K. Eventhough the last Action #1 in the same grade garnered approx. 100K. Just my 2 cents.

tony makes a good point... however, even if no one bids it upto 145K ( assuming 150K is the known reserve) then when reserves are posted, heritage automatically takes the bidding to the one under bid, meaning it will show 145K bid with the next bid the minimum , "hitting "reserve... at least I think that is correct (shrug)

Of course that action 1 garnered 100K+ back when the highest ever paid for an action 1 was a fifth of what it is today.

It's impossible to peg a real measure of desirability, let alone a hard value, on the court copy based on any previous sale, let alone basing it solely by its CGC restored grade. For one, you've usually got the standard problem of not having any idea what the book looked like before. But not with the court copy. Their history is known and people can have a really good idea (if not a certainty) of what it looked like and graded before.

Also, to compare it with any other 6.5 restored you'd have to disregard any value it has for being the court copy. Sure, you might. But will others? If it means nothing to you, then you shouldn't bid on this because you could end bidding against people who do assign it value for being the court copy.

Then why not let the open market, with no reserve, dictate its true value. I believe there should be a premium on the Court Copy, but how much, we won't know with this reserve auction. Is it worth 50% more than its counterpart in the same grade?

Then why not let the open market, with no reserve, dictate its true value. I believe there should be a premium on the Court Copy, but how much, we won't know with this reserve auction. Is it worth 50% more than its counterpart in the same grade?

The open market can only dictate its value among the bidders who happen to show up for Heritage that day. Seeing how many things get sold via heritage and then resold later, it's clear that an item's value isn't always the same thing as what it sells for on a given day. It's one thing to throw something to the winds when you've got a warehouse full of items exactly or almost exactly just like it. It's another to take that chance when it's one of a kind. So I can't fault the consigner too much

The open market can only dictate its value among the bidders who happen to show up for Heritage that day. Seeing how many things get sold via heritage and then resold later, it's clear that an item's value isn't always the same thing as what it sells for on a given day. It's one thing to throw something to the winds when you've got a warehouse full of items exactly or almost exactly just like it. It's another to take that chance when it's one of a kind. So I can't fault the consigner too much

Oh darn, I forgot today was the day I was going to bid $500,000 on a comic book, don't think that is to likely to happen :baiting: More likely the guy is trying to get a very aggressive price due to the recent sales and if not is happy to hold on to the book.

Bruce

Bruce