• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

A Showcase 4 CGC 9.2 sold in 2011 for 100K and this was before the price surge and ultimately a Flash TV series. Showcase 4 was the number 1 SA for quite sometimes in the 1990’s till AF15 retook the lead and never looked back. I never saw the Showcase 4 9.6 offered price lower than 925K on Comiclink. To even make a offer...a price of 462.5K would be the starting point. I believe the 300K price would be the 2011 price.

I know who owns the book and I offered it to a few prospective buyers and there were no nibbles at anywhere close to half of the asking price.

Showcase #4 was a slow book for a long time, regardless of it's value in OSPG. For whatever reason, DC buyers in the past just have not spent as much on SA keys as Marvel buyers have.

I did sell several Showcase #4's during the run up including a 9.2, 9.0, 8.0 and several lower grade copies but haven't sold one in over a year but I have followed the market.

That's why I disagree with blanket statements like 'Hulk #1 is #3 now'. In lower grades SC #4 may be trumping it because of relative availability but in higher grades Hulk #1 still a more expensive book in my opinion.

Also, I've learned that peculating what a book would sell for is futile. Only the people shelling out the money know what they'll pay for it. The AF #15 thread is a perfect example of that. Many people thought the book would hit $500K easy and it came about 10% short.

I do have a customer who wants a VF or higher copy of SC #4 if someone want to part with one. :gossip:

When was the book shopped around? Before the end of the 3rd quarter 2015? Showcase 4 jumped quite a bit in sub 6.0 grades after this period of time. I understand you sold quite a bit of high grade copies of this book :) , but all before? Not too much data for 6.0+ copies recently. The 7.5 being offered on CC next month will test the higher grade mark for this book….even a 7.0 in auction would be something to watch. Regarding the AF15 9.4 which recently sold in Heritage: I believe CGC would have graded the book a 9.6 if it was more “fresh and bright”. I was one of the folks that didn’t think it would hit 500K, but for sure no less than 400K. Books in the 500K is definitely in a arena of its own and the pool is quite thin as you said. With many recent sales data...SC4 is the second in term of value in sub 6.0 grades...and the market will decide in which book in the higher grade. I'm almost 100% certain A SC4 7.5 will sell for more than in H1 in the same grade appeal.

FF1 is hardly included in these "who is number 2" discussions. :sorry:

:hi:

FF1 would be in this discussion pre-2015....Hulk 1 and SC4 took the leap post-2015. :sorry:

A Showcase 4 CGC 9.2 sold in 2011 for 100K and this was before the price surge and ultimately a Flash TV series. Showcase 4 was the number 1 SA for quite sometimes in the 1990’s till AF15 retook the lead and never looked back. I never saw the Showcase 4 9.6 offered price lower than 925K on Comiclink. To even make a offer...a price of 462.5K would be the starting point. I believe the 300K price would be the 2011 price.

I know who owns the book and I offered it to a few prospective buyers and there were no nibbles at anywhere close to half of the asking price.

Showcase #4 was a slow book for a long time, regardless of it's value in OSPG. For whatever reason, DC buyers in the past just have not spent as much on SA keys as Marvel buyers have.

I did sell several Showcase #4's during the run up including a 9.2, 9.0, 8.0 and several lower grade copies but haven't sold one in over a year but I have followed the market.

That's why I disagree with blanket statements like 'Hulk #1 is #3 now'. In lower grades SC #4 may be trumping it because of relative availability but in higher grades Hulk #1 still a more expensive book in my opinion.

Also, I've learned that peculating what a book would sell for is futile. Only the people shelling out the money know what they'll pay for it. The AF #15 thread is a perfect example of that. Many people thought the book would hit $500K easy and it came about 10% short.

I do have a customer who wants a VF or higher copy of SC #4 if someone want to part with one. :gossip:

When was the book shopped around? Before the end of the 3rd quarter 2015? Showcase 4 jumped quite a bit in sub 6.0 grades after this period of time. I understand you sold quite a bit of high grade copies of this book :) , but all before? Not too much data for 6.0+ copies recently. The 7.5 being offered on CC next month will test the higher grade mark for this book….even a 7.0 in auction would be something to watch. Regarding the AF15 9.4 which recently sold in Heritage: I believe CGC would have graded the book a 9.6 if it was more “fresh and bright”. I was one of the folks that didn’t think it would hit 500K, but for sure no less than 400K. Books in the 500K is definitely in a arena of its own and the pool is quite thin as you said. With many recent sales data...SC4 is the second in term of value in sub 6.0 grades...and the market will decide in which book in the higher grade. I'm almost 100% certain A SC4 7.5 will sell for more than in H1 in the same grade appeal.

FF1 is hardly included in these "who is number 2" discussions. :sorry:

FF1 would be in this discussion pre-2015....Hulk 1 and SC4 took the leap post-2015. :sorry:

Its not like anyone is killing that franchise (intentionally or not)...

:whistle:

Hulk 1 CBCS 9.8 extensive restoration on ComicConnect ends tonight bidding is already at 42 500$!!

Link:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=644315

Compared to Showcase #4 CBCS 9.8 restored as well now at almost 8900$.

Link:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=650279

Edited by Hulk1962

I'm a lot more interested in the hammer on the 8.0. the last 8.0 was a really weak one with that bad spine - this better crack 64k bc it blows that one out the water. But will it crack 70?

I would say so.

Hulk 1 looks to be heating up again....

-J.

I'm a lot more interested in the hammer on the 8.0. the last 8.0 was a really weak one with that bad spine - this better crack 64k bc it blows that one out the water. But will it crack 70?

Made it! $70,000.00 final hammer price.

I hope that CBCS folds as a company they make the market look all over the place price wise and I wonder if the low prices achieved will also impact the Overstreet price guide as values go. I hope Overstreet only tracks sales of CGC graded books!!

Edited by Hulk1962

Maybe 2 new buyers that do not understand the valuation of restored books versus non restored books. I can't see any other way this book sold for 42 500$.

Now the seller of the CBCS 9.8 can go out and buy a blue label CGC 6.5 Hulk 1!!

Edited by Hulk1962