• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

And I could of course be completely wrong, and books like Showcase #4 and AF #15 could be pushing the Hulk #1 market up as well.

But I'm just expressing my opinions and the reasoning behind them, wrong or right.

+1

That was actually also part of my thinking.

-J.

So where did that 6.0 copy sell for $22K? does anyone have a scan of it?

Gosh darn it, nobody seems to have any additional info on this book? hm

It's the copy Joey (Roulette44) offered on the boards in Nov 2014. He was asking the same price, $21,995, and flagged it as sold on 11/5/14. Apparently, it sold again in Feb 2015 for the same price. It's now on eBay with a $29,995 ask.

I know of at least one more 6.0 selling for 22K, so that's potentially three sales at that price level.

hk1_zpsw93xcx4u.jpg

I don't think so. And C-OW pages.

Yeah, I guess the question is whether the buyer thought so and hence was willing to pay an above FMV price ... or whether the buyer didn't think so and this price is at least in the neighborhood of FMV.

I 3rd the idea that sc4 and AF15 pushed this one up. At least that's what happened to me. I had an AF15, wanted my next book, didn't feel the urge for ASM1, FF1... got a hulk 1. (I like the hulk, but spider-man is my favorite.) NOW I want to save up for a SC4 !! IN MY HEART I know that's the next one to chase. At this point it's an addiction...

And I could of course be completely wrong, and books like Showcase #4 and AF #15 could be pushing the Hulk #1 market up as well.

But I'm just expressing my opinions and the reasoning behind them, wrong or right.

+1

Ironically enough, AF #15 started it's climb back up after a plateau with a couple of upgradeable books as well. ;)

Per GPA, a 5.5 sold in December for $19,499, and a 6.5 sold for $30,200.

I used to be a 'price it at the top of GPA' person. I no longer am. As we discussed earlier, I thought those two numbers were outliers but hey, I'm wrong sometimes too.

I used to be a 'price it at the top of GPA' person. I no longer am. As we discussed earlier, I thought those two numbers were outliers but hey, I'm wrong sometimes too.

I don't know, Roy. A 4.5 just sold on the boards for 13K.

Indeed. The 5.0 that sold for the $13k+ on eBay during the holiday season looks to be the outlier at this point.

-J.

I'm not sure what you mean. Big keys always sell well when priced under market. A 4.5 copy would have been a $13,500 book to me so it was priced cheap and sold...if it even when for full price.

Read back a couple of pages and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

I'm not sure what you mean. Big keys always sell well when priced under market. A 4.5 copy would have been a $13,500 book to me so it was priced cheap and sold...if it even when for full price.

Roy - all I have been able to glean is I should come to you to buy big keys because you are the only dealer that I have heard that doesn't start at GPA high...

lol

I kid of course, I have dealt with a number of fair dealers round these parts. That said, there are definitely a few on here that only quote high GPA when selling and low GPA when buying... "Outliers" or otherwise.

:shrug:

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem asking (or getting) full price for books but I just think this 'helicopter appreciation' market research is not very realistic. Every time a book sells for a high, everyone immediately assumes it's a new benchmark.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem asking (or getting) full price for books but I just think this 'helicopter appreciation' market research is not very realistic. Every time a book sells for a high, everyone immediately assumes it's a new benchmark.

While I am in total agreement with you here, it makes one ponder the relevance of GPA. With the market moving so rapidly, prices from even a year ago are stale. Yet, the most recent sale is often considered an outlier. The best way to sell a book is to put it in auction and let the market decide.

Trying to price a book from GPA just doesn't seem to work. BTW, no fault to GPA, just the nature of the marketplace.

While I am in total agreement with you here, it makes one ponder the relevance of GPA. With the market moving so rapidly, prices from even a year ago are stale. Yet, the most recent sale is often considered an outlier. The best way to sell a book is to put it in auction and let the market decide.

Trying to price a book from GPA just doesn't seem to work. BTW, no fault to GPA, just the nature of the marketplace.

I am not sure that is the "best way" to sell a book, but it is certainly "a way."

If you have time to sit on the book, you will almost certainly always get a better price through an individual sale than an auction. This is the entire reason that Clink and other auction houses don't want to report to GPA - because their sales are below GPA highs (or even averages) on a regular basis.

Now this isn't to say auctions don't deliver new record highs and in some limited cases they are the only thing that will work (ex. high grade uber high value mega keys), but they are unlikely to net you the best possible sale price for the average book.

I did read back, but still don't get your point. If a 4.5 is a 13k or 13.5K book, then why would a 5.5 selling for $19,499 and a 6.5 selling for $30,200 be outliers? It sounds pretty consistent to me.

What do you suppose are fair prices for a 5.5 and 6.5?

This is the entire reason that Clink and other auction houses don't want to report to GPA - because their sales are below GPA highs (or even averages) on a regular basis.

This is entirely speculation on your part. It could just be that they are keeping their sales prices proprietary because some books sell for more as well. It's a two way street.

This is the entire reason that Clink and other auction houses don't want to report to GPA - because their sales are below GPA highs (or even averages) on a regular basis.

This is entirely speculation on your part. It could just be that they are keeping their sales prices proprietary because some books sell for more as well. It's a two way street.

I've set more than a few GPA highs buying on CLink. :D